The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 11, 2012, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25 View Post
If one also likes the look of the extra stitching in the @ss that the Honig's pants provides, I say go for it. Nothing looks gawdier than seeing your plate guy's @ss have an extra line of stitches wrap around the outline of his butt.
Lol

Wore the Honigs brand for one season, had to replace them the next because they faded and looked purple.

Had GD for three seasons now, still grey and fit great. Worth every penny!

Love the patent leather plate shoes too, get compliments all the time when I walk on the field.

BTW...Never had to take them to the cleaners. Wash 'em in cold water, med then high heat, wrinkle free.

Last edited by thumpferee; Fri May 11, 2012 at 03:37pm. Reason: BTW...
Old Fri May 11, 2012, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

I loved the GD plate shoes, save for one main reason I gave them up--they were SO darn heavy. I've worn the Reebok's for the last few years and love them. IMHO, I don't believe anyone could beat the look of the GD plate shoes. I just wish they weren't so darn heavy, made even worse when you worked a game in sloppy conditions, where the dirt coagulated on the bottom of your plate shoes, making you feel like you were wearing cinder blocks on your feet.
Old Fri May 11, 2012, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I loved the GD plate shoes, save for one main reason I gave them up--they were SO darn heavy. I've worn the Reebok's for the last few years and love them. IMHO, I don't believe anyone could beat the look of the GD plate shoes. I just wish they weren't so darn heavy, made even worse when you worked a game in sloppy conditions, where the dirt coagulated on the bottom of your plate shoes, making you feel like you were wearing cinder blocks on your feet.
Agree 100%

But I look good!
Old Fri May 11, 2012, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

That's half the battle.

Of course, those old enough here will remember this question: Do black patent leather shoes really reflect up?
Old Fri May 11, 2012, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's half the battle.

Of course, those old enough here will remember this question: Do black patent leather shoes really reflect up?
I put eye black on them
Old Fri May 11, 2012, 04:18pm
Is this a legal title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpferee View Post
Lol
...get compliments all the time when I walk on the field.
In nearly 30 years of umpiring, I have appeared on the field looking like I walked out of a catalog, looking disheveled after doing 12 games in three days, and levels of dapperness in between.

I have never--not once--had anybody comment on my appearance, ever. Nobody who plays or coaches gives a damn about that, or anything except the quality of your calls. And if those go against them, they don't even care about that.

Polywools are nice pants, but they're a poor value. They are by no means the benchmark against which all others are measured. I don't even consider them. They're overpriced and offer nothing to justify the additional dollars.

Of course, that's true of just about everything Dick sells. I'm continually amused by how important northern umpires find one- or two-day delivery of orders in December. That's Honigs' biggest selling point.
Old Fri May 11, 2012, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Publius View Post
Polywools are nice pants, but they're a poor value. They are by no means the benchmark against which all others are measured.
You are not alone in this opinion. I know a lot of umpires, including several of my D1, D2, and D3 peers, who hold the same opinion. Of course, I also know some umpires who swear the poly wools are the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Old Fri May 11, 2012, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In nearly 30 years of umpiring, I have appeared on the field looking like I walked out of a catalog, looking disheveled after doing 12 games in three days, and levels of dapperness in between.

I have never--not once--had anybody comment on my appearance, ever. Nobody who plays or coaches gives a damn about that, or anything except the quality of your calls. And if those go against them, they don't even care about that.
Maybe you just didn't look as good as me! I have had several instances where I was complimented on my appearance. That could be due from others who, have their pants rolled up in their trunk and shoes look like they wore them in a rodeo.

And believe me, my appearance matches my abilities!

30 years ago, you couldn't even see your shoes with that balloon in front of you
Old Fri May 11, 2012, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

There are some umpires who can't see their shoes using an inside protector!
Old Fri May 11, 2012, 06:45pm
Is this a legal title?

Quote:
And believe me...
I don't believe you.
Old Fri May 11, 2012, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't believe you.
And I care because...?

I can tell the type of person you are just by your responses. You cut what I said and commented on the part you felt is lacking in your own game. Where I'm from we call people like that haters.

Kinda like if we were talking about a strike zone and I quote you by saying, I'm continually amused by how important northern umpires find one...

I was giving credit to the GD plate shoes. I understand though, you never got a compliment even though you thought you looked like you walked out of a catalog, so you try and criticize my game.

If you look good, you play good!

And what is the comment "nobody who plays or coaches gives a damn about that"?

Gained weight over the years have ya?
Old Fri May 11, 2012, 08:34pm
Is this a legal title?

Quote:

And I care because...?

I can tell the type of person you are just by your responses.

Gained weight over the years have ya?
I don't know. You're the one that said I should, so you inferred that you cared at some level.

No, you can't. You just think you can.

Yes, I have.

And I couldn't care less if nobody comments on my appearance. All the compliments I receive are about my performance. That's what matters.
Old Fri May 11, 2012, 08:41pm

Quote:
Maybe you just didn't look as good as me! I have had several instances where I was complimented on my appearance. That could be due from others who, have their pants rolled up in their trunk and shoes look like they wore them in a rodeo.

And believe me, my appearance matches my abilities!

30 years ago, you couldn't even see your shoes with that balloon in front of you
I tend to agree with what you're saying, but in all fairness to us old timers, we did have inside chest protectors. Plus the NL always has worn inside protectors.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri May 11, 2012, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

I don't wanna argue with ya!

I said I get compliments on the shoes. And they know they can't walk in them!
Old Fri May 11, 2012, 08:46pm

Quote:
I love my Reebok's. Been wearing them since 2009. Like wearing comfortable base shoes only with a steel toe and metatarsal protection. I wouldn't want any other brand.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25