The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 30, 2012, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

Mr. Kellog will probably receive a reprimand from MLB. Umpires have been told not to get physically involved in these situations for the sake of safety and liability. I doubt he will be suspended unless he repeats this action.
Old Mon Apr 30, 2012, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Do not participate in apprehension.

Perhaps an attendant's comment in the visiting clubhouse and umpires dressing room will suffice.
Orioles Streaker Slides Home, Tackled by Ump - 4/27/2012 - YouTube
Instructions should be easy to follow.
Old Tue May 01, 2012, 05:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR12 View Post
How long have you been in law enforcement?
If you haven't, then ill give your remarks the same attention that I give the "know nothing about baseball "daddys that I hear thru the fence when I'm officiating.
Police work and Umpire work are similar in one fashion.....people that know nothing about either, think they know how to do it better.
Sorry, not biting. You don't have to have ever worked in law enforcement to notice when laws aren't being enforced. Comparing disinterested parties, like myself, to biased fanatics may make you feel better about your work, but it's a false comparison.

Perception is reality (particularly when someone is deciding whether they should commit minor disturbances) and the perception you are clearly generating is that field invasions will be tolerated.

Beyond that, you're putting the players and umpires at risk if one of these loons turns out to actually be dangerous. What's stopping the hoodlum from running up to a player/umpire and striking them in the face or breaking an arm while security leisurely strolls to the scene?
Old Tue May 01, 2012, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
Sorry, not biting. You don't have to have ever worked in law enforcement to notice when laws aren't being enforced. Comparing disinterested parties, like myself, to biased fanatics may make you feel better about your work, but it's a false comparison.

Perception is reality (particularly when someone is deciding whether they should commit minor disturbances) and the perception you are clearly generating is that field invasions will be tolerated.

Beyond that, you're putting the players and umpires at risk if one of these loons turns out to actually be dangerous. What's stopping the hoodlum from running up to a player/umpire and striking them in the face or breaking an arm while security leisurely strolls to the scene?
What would stop anyone from attacking a player at any stadium? The 2 Officers on the field or the 1 in each dugout? Between innings there are several more (since the majority of these cases happen then), but you can't litter the field with Cops during the game, MLB won't allow it.
Anyone could sprint on the field and hit a player or Umpire, before the first cop could intercept. (But that happens all the time, doesnt it?)
When one tries to speak intelligently on subjects they know little about, it has the opposite affect, my friend.
Old Tue May 01, 2012, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR12 View Post
What would stop anyone from attacking a player at any stadium? The 2 Officers on the field or the 1 in each dugout? Between innings there are several more (since the majority of these cases happen then), but you can't litter the field with Cops during the game, MLB won't allow it.
Anyone could sprint on the field and hit a player or Umpire, before the first cop could intercept. (But that happens all the time, doesnt it?)
When one tries to speak intelligently on subjects they know little about, it has the opposite affect, my friend.
Yes, anyone can sprint onto the field and cause trouble. In Baltimore, you can apparently walk up and do the same.
Old Tue May 01, 2012, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
Yes, anyone can sprint onto the field and cause trouble. In Baltimore, you can apparently walk up and do the same.
Come show us how to do it smartass.
Old Tue May 01, 2012, 11:08am

Bad Boys, Bad boys, whatchoo gonna do when JR12 come for you?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue May 01, 2012, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

But,

What if the shortstop Reggie Jackson is controlled by an evil maniac, and attempts to kill the Queen on England during the seventh inning stretch using a weapon hidden under second base....
Old Tue May 01, 2012, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Lol @ Steve and John.
Old Tue May 01, 2012, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Ask Tom Gamboa about being attacked by disturbed fans. Well, they were White Sox fans so that may be redundant.

Still, I don't want to see an umpire take matters into his own hands. The clown is rumored to be lawyering up according to one of the sports talk shows.
Old Tue May 01, 2012, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
Ask Tom Gamboa about being attacked by disturbed fans. Well, they were White Sox fans so that may be redundant.

Still, I don't want to see an umpire take matters into his own hands. The clown is rumored to be lawyering up according to one of the sports talk shows.
Let the turd get a lawyer. The Umpire did nothing wrong. He only held him for police. Here's the knucklehead!!!

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/mar...0,929374.story

Last edited by JR12; Tue May 01, 2012 at 02:34pm.
Old Tue May 01, 2012, 04:47pm
Official & ***** Member

Fourth time this year already, & we're only one month into the season? Whatever their plan is, it isn't working very well. Time to reevaluate.
Old Wed May 02, 2012, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

If the intruder actually attacks a player or umpire then they can defent themselves.

But the intruder is just running around "being seen" then let security handle it.

Especially if your boss says that's what you're supposed to do.
Old Wed May 02, 2012, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
Fourth time this year already, & we're only one month into the season? Whatever their plan is, it isn't working very well. Time to reevaluate.
Perhaps it'so many this year because the SA office didn't prosecute the Batman guy on opening day. They said they didn't prosecute him because of a "miscommunication" in their office. I dont think there are usually 4 in a year. But if they want to get more Cops to cover every possible entrance to the field I'll take the overtime$$$.
Every tresspasser gets arrested, no citations. They go to Baltimores Central Booking, where even if only for 12-24 hrs, it's not a pleasent place.
Even Morganna "The Kissing Bandit" got arrested when she ran on the field and kissed Cal Ripken, Jr.
The Cops made a great tackle on Opening Day!!!

No charges for Orioles' Opening Day field jumper - baltimoresun.com

Last edited by JR12; Wed May 02, 2012 at 12:58pm.