The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 25, 2012, 09:23pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Tough to tell at live speed. Some of you forget how easy it is to tell from the replay. They're making these calls live. There's no way any umpire sees this for 100% except the plate umpire.
Old Sat Apr 28, 2012, 02:53am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn View Post
For the record(for other folks, Steven, you enjoy being wrong), There was no picket line.

I did, however gladly and willingly work Minor League games when asked.
And you were only asked when the MiLB umpires were on strike. That in modern day lingo, qualifies you to be called a scab, picket line or not.

I wonder how far down the list they went before your name came up? You can't go much lower in my opinion.
Old Sat Apr 28, 2012, 03:05am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
And you were only asked when the MiLB umpires were on strike. That in modern day lingo, qualifies you to be called a scab, picket line or not.

I wonder how far down the list they went before your name came up? You can't go much lower in my opinion.
Well, I look on the bright side, at least he's not you! How do you keep from being banned for harassing, inflammatory, and insulting posts?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Apr 28, 2012, 08:52am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Well, I look on the bright side, at least he's not you! How do you keep from being banned for harassing, inflammatory, and insulting posts?
Whatever! Feel free to throw your over exaggerated insults to me.

Personally if you want to scab, you should have to take all the little perks that go along the trade.

Travel all night to get to your next destination.

Eat crappy leftover food from the concession stand.

Stay in fleabag hotels.

Do your own laundry.

Work for the low wages provided. Etc, etc, etc.

It's easy when all you have to do is show up at the ballpark. Go home to a home cooked meal. Somebody does your laundry. Sleep in your own bed. Etc, etc, etc.

I'm sure that there were probably a great many others that were asked to scab, but chose not too out of respect for the profession. It amazed me how a few wannabes would do such things, when it was basically just a bunch of young kids wanting to earn something of a better wage and per diem.

Take off the training wheels, Steve. You're beginning to sound childish in your replies to me. Time to ride like a big boy for once.
Old Sat Apr 28, 2012, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
Whatever! Feel free to throw your over exaggerated insults to me.

Personally if you want to scab, you should have to take all the little perks that go along the trade.

Travel all night to get to your next destination.

Eat crappy leftover food from the concession stand.

Stay in fleabag hotels.

Do your own laundry.

Work for the low wages provided. Etc, etc, etc.

It's easy when all you have to do is show up at the ballpark. Go home to a home cooked meal. Somebody does your laundry. Sleep in your own bed. Etc, etc, etc.

I'm sure that there were probably a great many others that were asked to scab, but chose not too out of respect for the profession. It amazed me how a few wannabes would do such things, when it was basically just a bunch of young kids wanting to earn something of a better wage and per diem.

Take off the training wheels, Steve. You're beginning to sound childish in your replies to me. Time to ride like a big boy for once.
Steven,

Your disdain for me makes me proud. If you liked me , I would hate myself.

Joe
Old Sat Apr 28, 2012, 07:43pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Steven,

Joe
Joe,

Ditto.

Steven
Old Sat Apr 28, 2012, 09:10pm

Quote:
Steven,

Joe
+1

+all the other people on this forum!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Apr 28, 2012, 10:55pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
+1

+all the other people on this forum!
"Never mind"~Emily Latella

I don't understand why scabbing is something to brag about. There was one who did in another association just north of mine. He got blocked as a partner by about 90% of his membership. The only people that will work with him now are his old cronies, and newbies that don't know any better.
Old Sun Apr 29, 2012, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

I totally support someone's right to be in a union. I totally support folks right to NOT be in a union.

However, I have never bought the claim that the jobs they leave belong to them. The union theology says that striking workers can go get a job-anywhere(no matter how many other people were vying for that same job.) But, the rest of society must refuse the job the strikers left or they are all the scum of the earth.

Many of the striking MiLB umps had no problem taking assignments from other guys (HS, College, tournaments, etc) yet they expected everyone to refuse the MiLB assignments. Furthermore, member of the MiLB union worked Major League games while their "brethren" were striking. UPS drivers delivered to the parks, Beer truck drivers delivered, etc etc.

Last edited by jwwashburn; Sun Apr 29, 2012 at 04:50pm. Reason: elaboration
Old Sun Apr 29, 2012, 07:26pm
In Time Out

Quote:
I totally support someone's right to be in a union. I totally support folks right to NOT be in a union.

However, I have never bought the claim that the jobs they leave belong to them. The union theology says that striking workers can go get a job-anywhere(no matter how many other people were vying for that same job.) But, the rest of society must refuse the job the strikers left or they are all the scum of the earth.

Many of the striking MiLB umps had no problem taking assignments from other guys (HS, College, tournaments, etc) yet they expected everyone to refuse the MiLB assignments. Furthermore, member of the MiLB union worked Major League games while their "brethren" were striking. UPS drivers delivered to the parks, Beer truck drivers delivered, etc etc.
As long as they paid their association dues to work those games, and were accepted into said association, then they worked games that were assigned to them.

They didn't leave the jobs. They are allowed by Federal Labor laws to bargain in good faith. Strikes sometimes become a necessity when management fails to do so. They call them scabs because they only cover a temporary wound. As soon as the dust clears, management dumps them like the scum of the earth.

MLB umpires didn't strike, they resigned. Big difference.

It doesn't matter who delivers to what. Some unions are required by law to be closed shops. Open shops exist for every employee that do the same job. You are not required to join, you just reap the benefits that your co-workers pay for. How sweet is that, huh?