The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 06, 2012, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Are you calling a Balk?

Mediocre Varsity teams. Score not important. R3. Pitcher is in windup and steps on to the plate with both hands together. After taking sign and setting ball in glove he removes hand about 4 inches out of glove, returns it to his glove and begins his motion. Coach insists pitcher has balked. We move on.

One week later, same team , same coach ahead by 9 runs in 7th inning and everyone yells for pitcher to step off. Lo and behold he does, but not with the pivot foot. He looks over and says "that is two you owe me". I tell him after the game that both cases were technical balks and he says " a balk is a balk." We agreed to disagree and moved on.

I know the differences, are you calling these?
Old Fri Apr 06, 2012, 09:20pm
Veteran College Umpire

How else is the kid going to learn? It will also stop the other coach from griping - he's less apt to gripe in a game he's winning easily, but what is he's losing and you ignore the balks?

JJ
Old Fri Apr 06, 2012, 09:21pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Varsity. Balk it. That's the only way they learn. Kind of like speeding tickets.
Old Fri Apr 06, 2012, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

You can start calling it now, or wait 'til the losing team puts up a 9-spot in the last inning after you passed on it because of the big lead. Your choice.
Old Fri Apr 06, 2012, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

1. Call the balks.

2. Tell the coach that if he is counting, he'll be in the parking lot by the time he gets to 4.
Old Fri Apr 06, 2012, 11:05pm

Taking the ball out of the glove and not completing the pitching motion is not a technical balk. It's a balk. Any movement once the pitcher has assumed the windup position other than a step backward with the pivot foot commits the pitcher to pitch (FED). Anything else is a balk. When the pitcher removed his hand (with or without the baseball) from his glove, he effectively started his motion and the runner was free to take off and steal, but was held in check by the illegal deception.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Apr 07, 2012, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
1. Call the balks.

2. Tell the coach that if he is counting, he'll be in the parking lot by the time he gets to 4.
Thank you for your advise on the balk but, I don't need to bark out commands or make threating statements to let the coach know I am in charge or satisfy my ego. I know I have the final say and there is no need to flaunt it.
Old Sat Apr 07, 2012, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
Thank you for your advise on the balk but, I don't need to bark out commands or make threating statements to let the coach know I am in charge or satisfy my ego. I know I have the final say and there is no need to flaunt it.
Nice point. I see more than a few umpires think it is good form to instruct the dugout from afar when a mere shake of the head or palm shown their way will suffice. Opening your mouth to the team usually opens the door to trouble. Silence can never be misquoted.

I think by now you know not to put on a balk clinic but to simply call the balks you saw. In my experience, the first balk call is usually all it takes. Good luck this season.
Old Sat Apr 07, 2012, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Thanks Mike, it works for some and that is their perogative. I have just never found it necessary (unless the situation needed), to let everyone know who is in charge on the field. I know it and that is all there is to it.

As far as the balks, I agree that it can be a learning process by calling all of them, whether technical or mechanical, its discretion and I continue to refine even that, if I think it will make me a better official. Not just because some has told me too. There are often some different schools of thought on it and I was just trying get some more opinions from others.

Thanks
Old Sat Apr 07, 2012, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Better to have them learn it in a 9-0 game then to learn it in a 0-0 game that becomes 0-1.
Old Sat Apr 07, 2012, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
Tell the coach that if he is counting, he'll be in the parking lot by the time he gets to 4.
You giving him 4 strikes?
Old Sat Apr 07, 2012, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Better to have one side ticked at you because you enforced a rule as it should be enforced than to have one side ticked at you because you're letting stuff slide.

One side is going to be ticked off no matter what, but I can live with that if I'm doing my job the right way.
Old Sat Apr 07, 2012, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
You giving him 4 strikes?

You can't read?
Old Sat Apr 07, 2012, 03:18pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post

As far as the balks, I agree that it can be a learning process by calling all of them, whether technical or mechanical, its discretion and I continue to refine even that, if I think it will make me a better official. Not just because some has told me too. There are often some different schools of thought on it and I was just trying get some more opinions from others.

Thanks
I will continue to argue that neither one were technical. The runner in each case is illegally deceived by both taking the hand out of the glove in the former and by stepping off with the free foot in the latter. In each case, the runner is put at a HUGE disadvantage. What would you have done in Play #2 if after the pitcher stepped off, the runner decided to steal and the pitcher threw him out at the base? Go back and say "Oh, that was a balk, by the way?" Just wondering what your reasoning is for considering either of these balks "technical," when each one has effectively killed the runner's chances of a stolen base.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25

Last edited by SanDiegoSteve; Sat Apr 07, 2012 at 03:23pm.
Old Sat Apr 07, 2012, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
What would you have done in Play #2 if after the pitcher stepped off, the runner decided to steal and the pitcher threw him out at the base? Go back and say "Oh, that was a balk, by the way?"
The proper mechanic is to immediately signal a delayed dead balk.