The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 29, 2012, 05:15pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Publius View Post
I hope not. This forum has become better reading without an egoist moderator playing emperor concerning when a thread has "run its course." A thread has run its course when everybody stops commenting on it.

Many people gain greater understanding (not just knowledge) by parsing what's wrong than they do by blindly accepting what's right.
That may be so, but my ignore list gets bigger by the day.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2012, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapopez View Post
I remember this topic about 10 years ago but I don't remember the consensus.

R2, R3, two outs. Ground ball to F5. R3 crosses home. F5 tags out R2. B/R discontinues to first. Can the defense appeal at first for a "fourth" out? In other words, does it behoove the offense for the B/R to continue to first after the third out?

I remember that; and no it doesn't. Score the run
Old Fri Mar 30, 2012, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

This Interp. Needed Scorection?

Which came first, the winning run or the last out? See OBR 4.11.

The defense wins if the offense fails to score. After reading 4.11a, the OP half-inning ended the game the moment the defense obtained the legal third out.

The offense wins if it scores before three are successfully put out. After reading 4.11b, the OP half-inning ended the game the moment the offense scored a legal run.

This is another situation when calling it both ways ( run and out) is impossible. After reading 4.11c, it is impossible to score the winning run and obtain the third out at exactly the same time. Only one may occur.

But if you continue to make up the rules, I got nothing else to say, but toodles.

Last edited by SAump; Sat Mar 31, 2012 at 11:21am.
Old Sat Mar 31, 2012, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump View Post
To suggest the fielder tagged R3 doesn't negate the fact R3 ran into the tag before BR made it to first safely, the Commission must believe that OBR and Fed rules are different enough to overturn the following NCAA rule.

NCAA 8-5j Approved Ruling 1 states, "No run may score on any play when the third out is either a force out or the result of the batter-runner's failure to reach first base safely."

Well, if the Wendelstedt Commission would get off OBR 7.10d and it's cross reference to 4.09c and 9.02b long enough to consider the results of the entire play from start to finish, maybe they would be wise enough to wipe off that run that scored during the play. Begin with OBR 7.01, go to 10.06f, move onto 8.05j and end upon 4.11. There is enough evidence here to overturn the Wendelstedt decision not to grant an appeal on the play.

All the Wendelstedt decision does is to ignore the facts and toss stuff out. For example, the BR status is known, it is an umpire judgement call, and it is part of the play. What authority gives them the right to set that aside? Then no one has suggested how to score the run at the end of the game when batter-runner's are required to touch first base. What authority do we have other than the NCAA version quoted above? Finally we have not even dealt with the BR's action to justify the one base award. What authority grants the BR the right to occupy either home or entitle him to first base after the play ends.
Do you actually believe your dribble or just trolling? Either way, no matter how you think the rules you cite contribute to your arguement, you have a poor understanding of the applicable rules, their intent, and how they are to be used concerning the spirit of the game.
Old Sun Apr 01, 2012, 01:48pm

No, the thread has not "run its course" yet. There are still more people who haven't piled on top of you yet.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun Apr 01, 2012, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

I rarely post, but I just don't get how some people won't believe they are wrong. I have not seen any evidence you can appeal this play. The appeal play in 7.10 specifies what can be appealed, and this is not listed there.
But some people are too stubborn to believe anything once they make up their mind.

Pat