The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 27, 2012, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

"Starter" Mask

My son is in training for the spring rec season and, as part of the training, they'll be working on plate mechanics. I'm looking for a recommendation for a useful mask that's not too expensive (i.e., titanium). He'll probably only be doing kiddy-ball and not need it but, in case he does need to use it during the season, would like him to have something that is decent.

Thanks in advance.
Old Mon Feb 27, 2012, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

Rufus first and most importantly get him a safe mask regardless of the price. Docter bills are much much more expensive than some of the best masks on the market.

All the leagues I have ever known or worked usually supply umpire equiptment. If not just about any local sports store will have a mask with a throat protector that should be suffice. Even a catchers mask can do.

There is a ton of information on the internet about proper stance and standing square to the plate so as to let your equipment properly protect you.

Good Luck
Old Mon Feb 27, 2012, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks Ji and I agree completely about the safety issue. There seem to be three different "levels" of mask, >$200, around $100, and around $50. Wanted to see if any masks in the two lower levels were better than others (diamond in the rough). I'm assuming since they're being sold that they're safe (though that may be erroneous on my part).

Thanks again.
Old Mon Feb 27, 2012, 08:46pm
Archaic Power Monger

Check out the Honig's single bar mask with the Team Wendy pads. I have heard good things and at a price of $75, they are not too expensive.

http://www.honigs.com/sub/176/K94

Last edited by Welpe; Mon Feb 27, 2012 at 08:48pm.
Old Mon Feb 27, 2012, 08:52pm
Stop staring at me swan.

You'll love the team Wendy pads.
Old Mon Feb 27, 2012, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
My view is to not skimp on the mask, get a decent mid priced chest protector (not a catchers chest protector), always wear a cup and find some steel toed shoes. You can save on shin guards, even wear catchers stuff.

If he is serious, most major umpire gear suppliers have reasonably priced starter packages. Check that out. I would not use the league supplied gear at LL Majors or above.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Mon Feb 27, 2012, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Hard to beat this for less than thirty clams delivered.

CATCHER/UMPIRE MASK | eBay

Light and stout.

The next price point would be that Honig's, with the Team Wendy pads.
Old Tue Feb 28, 2012, 01:52am
Official Forum Member

What's your son's face worth? $30?

The mask and chest protector are not the items go cheap on.
Old Tue Feb 28, 2012, 04:20am
Official Forum Member

Diamond lightweight (black) - about $70. If he likes umpiring and moves up, replace the pads with Team Wendy's - $40 from Honigs.

Titanium is not worth the money, IMO. The Diamond is just as light, and the titanium is no stronger than steel (although it is a whole lot lighter). It also bends just like steel, then you have to throw it out.
Old Tue Feb 28, 2012, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
Diamond lightweight (black) - about $70. If he likes umpiring and moves up, replace the pads with Team Wendy's - $40 from Honigs.

Titanium is not worth the money, IMO. The Diamond is just as light, and the titanium is no stronger than steel (although it is a whole lot lighter). It also bends just like steel, then you have to throw it out.
Depends on what fits you. I have tried the Diamond lightweight mask on, and while it is very light and is a nice mask, I hated the way it fit me. I thought it was hard to see out of personally. I had a low-profile Titanium and loved it, and sold it and got a standard profile Titanium and really like it so far.
Old Tue Feb 28, 2012, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Depends on what fits you. I have tried the Diamond lightweight mask on, and while it is very light and is a nice mask, I hated the way it fit me. I thought it was hard to see out of personally. I had a low-profile Titanium and loved it, and sold it and got a standard profile Titanium and really like it so far.
Whatever floats your boat. If you don't like the fit, then that mask is not for you. You were wise to get rid of the low-profile (aka new view) mask. They don't work well with 6 or 8 stitch hats (I refuse to wear a combo hat) and, more importantly, when you take one to the mask, they transfer energy to your face rather than deflecting it.
Old Tue Feb 28, 2012, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
What's your son's face worth? $30?

The mask and chest protector are not the items go cheap on.
Actually, that All Star frame is pretty stout, and the padding is decent. Far better that the wimpy stuff most "light weight" frames from Diamond, Schutt, Champion, etc, come stock with. I have a couple of those in my locker for my Junior umpires to use, so I know by experiece they're okay.
Old Tue Feb 28, 2012, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
You were wise to get rid of the low-profile (aka new view) mask. They don't work well with 6 or 8 stitch hats (I refuse to wear a combo hat) and, more importantly, when you take one to the mask, they transfer energy to your face rather than deflecting it.
Dash, the Diamond mask you recommended earlier- is it the DFM-UMP model? They are as light as a feather, but all of the product descriptions I see for it describe it as a "low-profile mask".

Is it just not as low as others? Are the product descriptions misleading? Are you talking about a different model than the DFM-UMP?

I'm in the market for a new mask and am really curious about this. The thing that's been keeping me from pulling the trigger on the DFM-UMP is that all of the advertising literature for it says it's a low-profile design.
Old Tue Feb 28, 2012, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
Dash, the Diamond mask you recommended earlier- is it the DFM-UMP model? They are as light as a feather, but all of the product descriptions I see for it describe it as a "low-profile mask".

Is it just not as low as others? Are the product descriptions misleading? Are you talking about a different model than the DFM-UMP?

I'm in the market for a new mask and am really curious about this. The thing that's been keeping me from pulling the trigger on the DFM-UMP is that all of the advertising literature for it says it's a low-profile design.
The DFM-UMP is not as flat, or low profile, as the Wilson New View. It does have some pretty worthless pads, that I recommend be swapped out. Factor that into the whole price of the rig. Be sure the check eBay for the best deal on these masks.
Old Tue Feb 28, 2012, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
The DFM-UMP is not as flat, or low profile, as the Wilson New View. It does have some pretty worthless pads, that I recommend be swapped out. Factor that into the whole price of the rig. Be sure the check eBay for the best deal on these masks.
I agree with Kyle. The DFM-UMP is a standard profile mask - not flat at all. I don't know why they advertise it as low-profile. I am also able to wear a 6 or 8-stitch hat with it (the 8-stitch takes some practice).

I put on Team Wendy's pads ($40 from Honigs). It's as if they were made for the mask - a perfect fit.