The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 26, 2012, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Mattingly bat with yellow rubber "boot"

I saw a Mattingly Ripped bat in a HS game that had a 2 to 3 inch yellow rubber boot just below the 18" point on the bat. The boot had 2 or 3 ribs that increased the diameter of the bat at that point about 3/8 to 1/2 inch. Team said it came out of the box that way and it had BBCOR. Looked strange to me and I could not find that model's picture on the web. Anybody familiar with this bat?
Old Mon Feb 27, 2012, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

A quick search shows the bat on several sites. I don't see the 'yellow knob' you mentioned in any.
Old Mon Feb 27, 2012, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjim View Post
I saw a Mattingly Ripped bat in a HS game that had a 2 to 3 inch yellow rubber boot just below the 18" point on the bat. The boot had 2 or 3 ribs that increased the diameter of the bat at that point about 3/8 to 1/2 inch. Team said it came out of the box that way and it had BBCOR. Looked strange to me and I could not find that model's picture on the web. Anybody familiar with this bat?
There's a picture of it in the BBCOR box on the Mattingly web site - no yellow boot.

Mattingly Sports Baseball Bats
Old Mon Feb 27, 2012, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

I'm getting to a point where as long as the bat is properly endorsed with BBCORE, I am not going to question it. There is way too much BS with all of this bat garbage to deal with in a game. If it says BBDCORE, the bat stays.

As I have said for years.... get rid of the metal BS and go back to wood. That will solve all of the bat problems.
Old Mon Feb 27, 2012, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
I'm getting to a point where as long as the bat is properly endorsed with BBCORE, I am not going to question it. There is way too much BS with all of this bat garbage to deal with in a game. If it says BBDCORE, the bat stays.

As I have said for years.... get rid of the metal BS and go back to wood. That will solve all of the bat problems.
Does that include the now banned 33 inch Marucci CAT 5 bat? It will have the proper BBCOR markings.
Old Mon Feb 27, 2012, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It might solve the existing bat problems, but it would create one even worse. There's not enough ash and maple to supply the demand for bats if you change the HS rule to wood-only.

MLB is projecting a shortfall of wood for bats for pro ball only in 5-7 years. Switching HS (or HS and college) to wood would shorten that timeframe to months rather than years.
Old Mon Feb 27, 2012, 07:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpTTS43 View Post
Does that include the now banned 33 inch Marucci CAT 5 bat? It will have the proper BBCOR markings.
I did not know that this was decertified and this is exactly what I am talking about. One week the bat is good, next week it is no good. The NHFS is as bad as the morons in Washington DC when it comes to making a decision and sticking to it. Look at the idiocy last year, where we were getting updates almost on a day to day basis. It's absolutely ridiculous.
Old Mon Feb 27, 2012, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

The email I got was a note from my assigner, forwarded from NFHS that stated NCAA had ruled the Marucci bat illegal so NFHS was adopting same. So they just followed NCAA lead apparently.
Old Tue Feb 28, 2012, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I did not know that this was decertified and this is exactly what I am talking about. One week the bat is good, next week it is no good. The NHFS is as bad as the morons in Washington DC when it comes to making a decision and sticking to it. Look at the idiocy last year, where we were getting updates almost on a day to day basis. It's absolutely ridiculous.
The morons are the bat manufacturers who knowingly push the envelope by manufacturing a bat that could (and did in the random models purchased and tested) exceed the acceptable range of performance.

Last edited by asdf; Tue Feb 28, 2012 at 08:30am.
Old Wed Feb 29, 2012, 12:53am
Official Forum Member

The illegal Marucci 33" has white barrel with red lettering. The company pulled it off the shelves, and will try to get approval for it soon. The barrel color will change.
Old Wed Feb 29, 2012, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODJ View Post
The illegal Marucci 33" has white barrel with red lettering. The company pulled it off the shelves, and will try to get approval for it soon. The barrel color will change.
They won't get that bat approved. Apparently they changed the specs after getting some prototypes approved. The production models are nowhere near the required BBCOR of 0.5. The NFHS official I spoke to described these bats as "hotter than a pistol," whatever that means.

So perhaps they're manufacturing a new model to meet the requirements, but the illegal bats have no shot at being "reapproved."
Old Wed Feb 29, 2012, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In New Mexico we did