The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Painted wood bats

I know MLB requires approval of bat color but now that BBCOR has come to FED I've seen more wood bats and, this weekend, a painted (school colors), bat. Am I right after consulting the rule and case book that nothing prohibits a painted wood bat in FED?
Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 09:14pm
Stop staring at me swan.

More bats are painted than not. At least in my part of the world.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 06:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjim View Post
Am I right after consulting the rule and case book that nothing prohibits a painted wood bat in FED?
Before, during, and after.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I know MLB requires approval of bat color but now that BBCOR has come to FED I've seen more wood bats and, this weekend, a painted (school colors), bat. Am I right after consulting the rule and case book that nothing prohibits a painted wood bat in FED?
Okay, let's look at it this way, why would there be a problem with a painted, wood bat?
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You'd be correct, unless it violates 1-3-5 in this manner: "A bat that continually discolors the ball may be removed from the game with no penalty at the discretion of the umpire."

So, unless the bat is putting colored splotches on the ball, it stays in the game.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 09:07pm
Is this a legal title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
Okay, let's look at it this way, why would there be a problem with a painted, wood bat?
We're talking FEDlandia, don't forget. They don't need a problem to come up with a solution in the name of safety. The paint has a less than .01% chance of being lead-based, after all.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 09:30pm
Stop staring at me swan.

I don't think it's necessarily FED's fault. You can thank/blame the lawyers of this country for many of FED's rules. They're stuck between a rock and a hard place.
Old Wed Feb 29, 2012, 06:58am
Official Forum Member

Letter from NFHS

I have been ordering blank wood bats from Ben Aaron bats and have been researching the legality of painting them myself. I have decided to use all-wood bats this year for my HS team in hopes there would be no issues with BBCOR. I have written many letters to different organizations, the reply below is what I am following as a guideline.

Mr. McCord,
Wood bats are permissible in high school baseball competition as long as they meet the requirements of having the diameter 2 ¾ inches or less at the thickest part and be 36 inches or less in length. We do not have criteria for paint or logo design. Thanks for the inquiry.
B. Elliot Hopkins, MLD, CAA
NFHS Baseball Rules Editor
Old Wed Feb 29, 2012, 08:37am
Official & ***** Member

Just out of curiosity:

Why does anyone care if the bats are painted at all?
Old Wed Feb 29, 2012, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

The only thing I'd worry about is 1-3-2a-3: "Bats that ... deface the ball are illegal."
Old Wed Feb 29, 2012, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
I don't think it's necessarily FED's fault. You can thank/blame the lawyers of this country for many of FED's rules. They're stuck between a rock and a hard place.
Guess you also have to blame the Drs. and hospitals that force the parents of the kids that got maimed, injured or otherwise to pay ridiculous dollars for their treatment. Then how about the manufacturer that is making money on a product that may be unsafe then has to be sued to make amends for a unsafe product. Or how about the politicians that allow unscroupolus manufaturers to create unsafe sporting equipment.

In then end though, how about you and me that vote the politcians in office.

There will ALWAYS be enough people around to blame.

BUT, if it was your child injured, What would you do???
Old Wed Feb 29, 2012, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach McCord View Post
I have been ordering blank wood bats from Ben Aaron bats and have been researching the legality of painting them myself. I have decided to use all-wood bats this year for my HS team in hopes there would be no issues with BBCOR. I have written many letters to different organizations, the reply below is what I am following as a guideline.

Mr. McCord,
Wood bats are permissible in high school baseball competition as long as they meet the requirements of having the diameter 2 ¾ inches or less at the thickest part and be 36 inches or less in length. We do not have criteria for paint or logo design. Thanks for the inquiry.
Personally, I would not paint a wood bat. I have no problem with bats that are painted at the factory because they use quality lacquer and proper preparation, application and it's all done in a controlled environment.

If you do this at home, you will achieve a nice look but what happens when the bat is used? It's going to look terrible after a couple of hits because you cannot duplicate the factory work at home.

I applaud you for breaking from the metal mania and going back to basics. Besides, nothing looks better in a batter's hands than a piece of lumber.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 01:24am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach McCord View Post

Mr. McCord,
I would prefer the natural colored bats to a painted one. You can take some fine sandpaper to get the lacquer coat off. They grip better, and give the bat a little roughness which helps some.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
Just out of curiosity:

Why does anyone care if the bats are painted at all?
LL bans bats painted at home. The concern is that the paint may mask unsafe conditions and/or alterations..