The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 03, 2012, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

Ambidexterous Pitcher

Quote:
8.01 (f) A pitcher must indicate visually to the umpire-in-chief, the batter and any runners the hand with which he intends to pitch, which may be done by wearing his glove on the other hand while touching the pitcher’s plate. The pitcher is not permitted to pitch with the other hand until the batter is retired, the batter becomes a runner, the inning ends, the batter is substituted for by a pinch-hitter or the pitcher incurs an injury. In the event a pitcher switches pitching hands during an at-bat because he has suffered an injury, the pitcher may not, for the remainder of the game, pitch with the hand from which he has switched. The pitcher shall not be given the opportunity to throw any preparatory pitches after switching pitching hands.
Any change of pitching hands must be indicated clearly to the umpire-in-chief.
Am I mistaken or isn't there also some guidance addresses the situation with a switch hitting batter?
Something that allows the pitcher to switch hands if the batter changes boxes, but only once?

A mind is a terrible thing to lose....
Old Tue Jan 03, 2012, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
Am I mistaken or isn't there also some guidance addresses the situation with a switch hitting batter?
Something that allows the pitcher to switch hands if the batter changes boxes, but only once?

That would be contradictory to the rule you just cited.
Old Wed Jan 04, 2012, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post

Used to be such a rule. Now, they've clarified, and matched FED and NCAA -- pitcher must declare.
Old Wed Jan 04, 2012, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Used to be such a rule. Now, they've clarified, and matched FED and NCAA -- pitcher must declare.
Dash - that was what was confusing me.
Bob - Thanks for updating me.
Old Fri Jan 06, 2012, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Watch this and see how not to handle it:

Switch Hitter VS Switch Pitcher - YouTube
Old Fri Jan 06, 2012, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
Watch this and see how not to handle it:

Switch Hitter VS Switch Pitcher - YouTube
There was no rule then. It's the incident that caused the preliminalry instructions and then the folow-up rule to be written
Old Sat Jan 07, 2012, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

I was well aware of that. It was still not handled well. I have used this video in clinics to illustrate how to handle things not defined in the book. Make the call.

PBUC issued its new guidelines on July 3, 2008. It reads:

The pitcher must visually indicate to the umpire, batter and runner(s) which way he will begin pitching to the batter. Engaging the rubber with the glove on a particular hand is considered a definitive commitment to with which arm he will throw. The batter will then choose which side of the plate he will bat from.

The pitcher is not permitted to pitch with the other hand until the batter is retired, the batter becomes a runner, the inning ends, the batter is substituted for by a pinch-hitter or the pitcher incurs an injury.

Any switch (by either the pitcher or the batter) must be clearly indicated to the umpire.

There will be no warm-up pitches during the change of arms.

If an injury occurs the pitcher may change arms but not use that arm again during the remainder of the game.

I may be in the minority but I would have liked to see that batter have to commit to a side rather than the pitcher. They defensive team responds to the actions of the offense, after all.
Old Sat Jan 07, 2012, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I may be in the minority but I would have liked to see that batter have to commit to a side rather than the pitcher. They defensive team responds to the actions of the offense, after all.
The problem is that the batter has always been able to switch which side they hit from. While pitchers have too, it's only been recently that ambidextrous has even been an issue.
Old Sat Jan 07, 2012, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

Without the new rule I would have required the batter to pick a box for each pitch.
Old Sat Jan 07, 2012, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
Without the new rule I would have required the batter to pick a box for each pitch.
I gotta disagree. Make the pitcher declare. After all, even against a good batter, the pitcher wins about 70% of the time. But I would like to hear your reasoning on your opinion.
Old Sun Jan 08, 2012, 07:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrumpiresir View Post
I gotta disagree. Make the pitcher declare. After all, even against a good batter, the pitcher wins about 70% of the time. But I would like to hear your reasoning on your opinion.
6.02 (a) The batter shall take his position in the batter’s box promptly when it is his time at bat.
Old Sun Jan 08, 2012, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
6.02 (a) The batter shall take his position in the batter’s box promptly when it is his time at bat.
So?

He can change any time except:

6.06 A batter is out for illegal action when—
(b) He steps from one batter’s box to the other while the pitcher is in position ready to pitch;
Old Sun Jan 08, 2012, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I agree. Tell him to get in the box and if he refuses, it is his actions that help guide the outcome.

There are plenty of things that happen on baseball fields that aren't defined by the rules. Sometimes you just have to umpire.
Old Sun Jan 08, 2012, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawetag View Post
The problem is that the batter has always been able to switch which side they hit from. While pitchers have too, it's only been recently that ambidextrous has even been an issue.
That is why I prefer the batter to commit. I don't concern myself with batting statistics. A batter is considered offensive personnel and by definition, the defense responds to his actions. It's a shame that Venditte didn't make it further. Somewhere, Bill Veeck is spinning at the missed opportunity.
Old Sun Jan 08, 2012, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A batter is considered offensive personnel and by definition, the defense responds to his actions.
It's the other way around in baseball - the only team sport where the defense controls the ball.