The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 10, 2004, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to akalsey Send a message via Yahoo to akalsey
Watching the Braves/Tigers game on TBS, the play-by-play guy just answered a question from a fan. The fan asked if the DH can bat for a player other than the pitcher and the announcer said that he can.

My understanding is that the DH must bat for the pitcher. OBR 6.10(b) says "a hitter may be designated to bat for the starting pitcher and all subsequent pitchers."

Is there another rule that I'm missing that allows the DH to bat for anyone?
Old Thu Jun 10, 2004, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

I'm pretty sure he has to DH for the pitcher only.
Old Thu Jun 10, 2004, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

The DH can hit for anybody in the lineup .
Old Thu Jun 10, 2004, 07:50pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by WeekendRef
The DH can hit for anybody in the lineup .
You're kidding, right? Under professional rules, the DH can only hit for the pitcher and only in leagues that allow the use of the DH. Read OBR 6.10 (b) (1).

Do people actually come on here and just "guess" at answers to the questions? Is this how those people umpire games, too?
Old Thu Jun 10, 2004, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Do people actually come on here and just "guess" at answers to the questions? Is this how those people umpire games, too? [/B]
No, but it is how the guys announce and do play-by-play on TV.
Old Thu Jun 10, 2004, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

At least the DH must hit for batter in OBR.

[Edited by DG on Jun 10th, 2004 at 10:47 PM]
Old Fri Jun 11, 2004, 02:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DG

What are you saying? It makes no sense. In OBR, the DH must bat for the pitcher only. A new DH may replace the original DH, but still only in the pitcher's spot.
Old Fri Jun 11, 2004, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bluezebra
Quote:
Originally posted by DG

What are you saying? It makes no sense. In OBR, the DH must bat for the pitcher only. A new DH may replace the original DH, but still only in the pitcher's spot.
I meant "pitcher". Sorry.
Old Fri Jun 11, 2004, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Rich ,
I am sorry I offended you and your knowledge of the game so much . It must be tough for you to put up with people such as myself and others who have to "guess" at the rules .
Federation rules allow the DH to bat for any defensive player . I don't have my rulebook here with me at work so I suppose that it is still a "guess" because I don't have the rule reference with me . While the gentleman did say he was watching the Braves game he did not limit his question to professional baseball . I should have added FED RULES at the end of my post . I hope you can find it in your heart to accept my apology !
Old Fri Jun 11, 2004, 11:57am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Rich ,
I am sorry I offended you and your knowledge of the game so much . It must be tough for you to put up with people such as myself and others who have to "guess" at the rules .
Federation rules allow the DH to bat for any defensive player . I don't have my rulebook here with me at work so I suppose that it is still a "guess" because I don't have the rule reference with me . While the gentleman did say he was watching the Braves game he did not limit his question to professional baseball . I should have added FED RULES at the end of my post . I hope you can find it in your heart to accept my apology !
The question involved MLB and your response was a blanket response. Of course the DH can bat for any defensive player in FED rules. How would ANYONE reading this thread know that?

Old Fri Jun 11, 2004, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Weekendref - the original question asked about OBR, and then you simply posted an incorrect answer to his question. So sorry you're offended if this bothers people. This board is for people to ask questions or discuss issues. When someone simply states a bald-faced inaccurate statement, and states it as fact, there is a danger that the original poster sees such post, and then takes it as fact - perpetuating the problem.

If you don't know, SAY you don't. If you aren't sure, and are guessing, SAY you are guessing. Don't make statements that read as fact, if you don't know them to be facts.
Old Fri Jun 11, 2004, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

As I stated I shoud have put FED RULES after my statement but I did not . I am fairly certain I know the FED rule . I don't think it was neccessary for the gentleman to come back with such a negative response for an error of omission. A simple response to correct my error would have been received with a "Thanks , my apologies" and we would have moved on .
You guys are a little too much for me...
Old Fri Jun 11, 2004, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Could Rich have been a tad nicer in his response. Sure! But he didn't call you any names. He simply asked if you were kidding. He refered to people in general with the other comments. You can take that as you will, maybe the shoe fits?

Problem is though, that the person in the original thread not only referenced a Major League game but also quoted "OBR 6.10(b) says "a hitter may be designated to bat for the starting pitcher and all subsequent pitchers."" and then asked "Is there another rule that I'm missing that allows the DH to bat for anyone?"

Clearly, the post taken in context was asking about OBR. You stated an incorrect rule for OBR and made no mention of a reference to quoting a FED rule.

Seems like you were 0 for 2. Consider it a learning experience and move on. You have expect umpires to be particular when it comes to rules, eh!?!

Quote:
As I stated I shoud have put FED RULES after my statement but I did not . I am fairly certain I know the FED rule . I don't think it was neccessary for the gentleman to come back with such a negative response for an error of omission. A simple response to correct my error would have been received with a "Thanks , my apologies" and we would have moved on .
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Fri Jun 11, 2004, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to akalsey Send a message via Yahoo to akalsey
On the other hand, WeekendRef, I know nothing at all about FED rules and I'm always happy to expand my knowledge. So that info is greatly appreciated.
Old Fri Jun 11, 2004, 04:10pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaliix
Could Rich have been a tad nicer in his response. Sure! But he didn't call you any names. He simply asked if you were kidding. He refered to people in general with the other comments. You can take that as you will, maybe the shoe fits?

Problem is though, that the person in the original thread not only referenced a Major League game but also quoted "OBR 6.10(b) says "a hitter may be designated to bat for the starting pitcher and all subsequent pitchers."" and then asked "Is there another rule that I'm missing that allows the DH to bat for anyone?"

Clearly, the post taken in context was asking about OBR. You stated an incorrect rule for OBR and made no mention of a reference to quoting a FED rule.

Seems like you were 0 for 2. Consider it a learning experience and move on. You have expect umpires to be particular when it comes to rules, eh!?!

Quote:
And this is why I get a little snippy. I have to deal with the aftermath of umpires with substandard knowledge all the time -- rules AND mechanics. Sometimes I'm on the crew that follows these umpires in -- sometimes I'm working with one of these umpires. Most times, I'm watching plate umpires screw up rules like substitutions, DH rules, courtesy runner rules, and the like. We get paid -- but not just to work the games. Part of the pay we get is for the extensive preparation we make OFF the field. Not enough umpires are willing to put that in.

Again, I never specifically mentioned you -- but if you feel the shoe fits, do some reading tonight. And tomorrow night. And the night after that.....

--Rich