The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Ambidexterous Pitcher (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/85347-ambidexterous-pitcher.html)

HugoTafurst Tue Jan 03, 2012 09:39pm

Ambidexterous Pitcher

Quote:

8.01 (f) A pitcher must indicate visually to the umpire-in-chief, the batter and any runners the hand with which he intends to pitch, which may be done by wearing his glove on the other hand while touching the pitcher’s plate. The pitcher is not permitted to pitch with the other hand until the batter is retired, the batter becomes a runner, the inning ends, the batter is substituted for by a pinch-hitter or the pitcher incurs an injury. In the event a pitcher switches pitching hands during an at-bat because he has suffered an injury, the pitcher may not, for the remainder of the game, pitch with the hand from which he has switched. The pitcher shall not be given the opportunity to throw any preparatory pitches after switching pitching hands.
Any change of pitching hands must be indicated clearly to the umpire-in-chief.
Am I mistaken or isn't there also some guidance addresses the situation with a switch hitting batter?
Something that allows the pitcher to switch hands if the batter changes boxes, but only once?

A mind is a terrible thing to lose....
:D

dash_riprock Tue Jan 03, 2012 09:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HugoTafurst (Post 810290)
Am I mistaken or isn't there also some guidance addresses the situation with a switch hitting batter?
Something that allows the pitcher to switch hands if the batter changes boxes, but only once?

That would be contradictory to the rule you just cited.

bob jenkins Wed Jan 04, 2012 08:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by HugoTafurst (Post 810290)

Used to be such a rule. Now, they've clarified, and matched FED and NCAA -- pitcher must declare.

HugoTafurst Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 810352)
Used to be such a rule. Now, they've clarified, and matched FED and NCAA -- pitcher must declare.

Dash - that was what was confusing me.
Bob - Thanks for updating me.

MikeStrybel Fri Jan 06, 2012 08:27am

Watch this and see how not to handle it:

Switch Hitter VS Switch Pitcher - YouTube

Rich Ives Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeStrybel (Post 811041)
Watch this and see how not to handle it:

Switch Hitter VS Switch Pitcher - YouTube

There was no rule then. It's the incident that caused the preliminalry instructions and then the folow-up rule to be written

MikeStrybel Sat Jan 07, 2012 02:49pm

I was well aware of that. It was still not handled well. I have used this video in clinics to illustrate how to handle things not defined in the book. Make the call.

PBUC issued its new guidelines on July 3, 2008. It reads:

The pitcher must visually indicate to the umpire, batter and runner(s) which way he will begin pitching to the batter. Engaging the rubber with the glove on a particular hand is considered a definitive commitment to with which arm he will throw. The batter will then choose which side of the plate he will bat from.

The pitcher is not permitted to pitch with the other hand until the batter is retired, the batter becomes a runner, the inning ends, the batter is substituted for by a pinch-hitter or the pitcher incurs an injury.

Any switch (by either the pitcher or the batter) must be clearly indicated to the umpire.

There will be no warm-up pitches during the change of arms.

If an injury occurs the pitcher may change arms but not use that arm again during the remainder of the game.

I may be in the minority but I would have liked to see that batter have to commit to a side rather than the pitcher. They defensive team responds to the actions of the offense, after all.

yawetag Sat Jan 07, 2012 05:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeStrybel (Post 811359)
I may be in the minority but I would have liked to see that batter have to commit to a side rather than the pitcher. They defensive team responds to the actions of the offense, after all.

The problem is that the batter has always been able to switch which side they hit from. While pitchers have too, it's only been recently that ambidextrous has even been an issue.

dash_riprock Sat Jan 07, 2012 06:04pm

Without the new rule I would have required the batter to pick a box for each pitch.

Mrumpiresir Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dash_riprock (Post 811383)
Without the new rule I would have required the batter to pick a box for each pitch.

I gotta disagree. Make the pitcher declare. After all, even against a good batter, the pitcher wins about 70% of the time. But I would like to hear your reasoning on your opinion.

dash_riprock Sun Jan 08, 2012 07:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrumpiresir (Post 811419)
I gotta disagree. Make the pitcher declare. After all, even against a good batter, the pitcher wins about 70% of the time. But I would like to hear your reasoning on your opinion.

6.02 (a) The batter shall take his position in the batter’s box promptly when it is his time at bat.

Rich Ives Sun Jan 08, 2012 09:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dash_riprock (Post 811445)
6.02 (a) The batter shall take his position in the batter’s box promptly when it is his time at bat.

So?

He can change any time except:

6.06 A batter is out for illegal action when—
(b) He steps from one batter’s box to the other while the pitcher is in position ready to pitch;

MikeStrybel Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dash_riprock (Post 811383)

I agree. Tell him to get in the box and if he refuses, it is his actions that help guide the outcome.

There are plenty of things that happen on baseball fields that aren't defined by the rules. Sometimes you just have to umpire.

MikeStrybel Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by yawetag (Post 811381)
The problem is that the batter has always been able to switch which side they hit from. While pitchers have too, it's only been recently that ambidextrous has even been an issue.

That is why I prefer the batter to commit. I don't concern myself with batting statistics. A batter is considered offensive personnel and by definition, the defense responds to his actions. It's a shame that Venditte didn't make it further. Somewhere, Bill Veeck is spinning at the missed opportunity.

dash_riprock Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeStrybel (Post 811457)
A batter is considered offensive personnel and by definition, the defense responds to his actions.

It's the other way around in baseball - the only team sport where the defense controls the ball.