The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
Hugo, do you think that a written interpretation from the chairman of the NFHS Baseball Rules Committe would sway them?

Kyle McNeely resides in my state and recently sent a message to our state's umpires regarding the 2012 baseball season. In it, he noted that he was always available via email if anyone had any questions regarding baseball in our state.

I decided to take him up on that!

In an email, I posed this play to him and asked what the FED ruling would be. This was his response:

If a throw is made, and the BR beat it, the umpire is to signal "safe." With the appeal now in our rulebook, the defense must intentionally appeal the missed base. If they do so before the BRgets back to first base, the umpire would now rule "out." We have two distinct situations here. The play, which the BR beat, and the appeal that the defense must make. I think we have that as an AR or casebook play. Think of it this way, on the play itself, the BR beat the throw, he is safe. He did not touch the base and that is now on the defense to appeal. I hope this helps. Feel free to contact me anytime. Kyle

Maybe that will sway them!

You are officially ..DA MAN

Thanks
Old Thu Dec 22, 2011, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Smile Was in FED once but now removed

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
Rich, OZZIE and everyone else.

Thanks for confirming the concept.

I don't know if these guys will ever get it coming from me.

I've tried the "missed base requires an appeal" approach, but they were more concerned with "fielder tags the base before the BR touches the base".
I'm sure you've met them.

I sent them the MLB wording but they are saying NFHS is different.
I was hoping I could find something NFHS has written for their benefit.
My last suggestion was to have the assignor (YES, that is one of the people who wants to call the out immediately when F3 catches the ball with his foot on the base) write the state rules interpreter.....

Not much more I can do - I'm just a softball umpire,

Thanks again for your answers.
It is in FED. Just tell them to go back to early 2000's when there was an interpretation or something like that in the books. It has since been removed. Of course guys like that probably don't really have an interest in finding the answer, just asking the questions ....

Thanks
David
Old Thu Dec 22, 2011, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

This is one of those plays that can really make us look silly even though we are on top of it. Think about it, the BR races down the line, the throw comes in and you have great positioning to see it all unfold. The BR crosses the base a step ahead of the throw. You immediately signal safe and the defense comes unglued, not to mention the bench and stands start in with the "No way's". They are hollering that the guy missed the base and the first baseman turns to go after the BR, now heading back to the base at his coach's direction. The first baseman touches BR with the ball and then holds it up to show you and your partner(s). You then signal out. You did your job and look pretty awful to the aformentioned. Your partner(s) will hopefully know better and offer up a cold one when the time is right. After that, you'll need it.

I've never had to make this call and hope the new year continues the trend. Happy holidays to all.
Old Fri Dec 23, 2011, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

There are many ways to call SAFE. On a missed bag, close one, you don't need to go with the loud bark, followed by a sharp mechanic, like if you would if he actually hit the bag. Just a gentle signal (don't hold it, though). Let them figure it out.

As far as aquiring the bag, I've been taught it's when when the trailing foot crossed the leading edge of the bag. Is that universal, or is it different in different flavors of ball?
Old Fri Dec 23, 2011, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

My eyes aren't good enough to tell if the trailing foot has passed the leading edge of the bag. The runner has to pass the base (acquiring it) before the ball gets there. If I am going to call him safe on the miss, it's going to look like he easily beat the throw. Otherwise, I'm banging him.
Old Fri Dec 23, 2011, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

The end of the story (in my neighborhood anyway)

I sent my friends a copy of Bretman's response from Kyle McNeely.
The response was positive and I was thanked for getting the information and my perseverence.

The world is good.
Old Sat Dec 24, 2011, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
As far as aquiring the bag, I've been taught it's when when the trailing foot crossed the leading edge of the bag. Is that universal, or is it different in different flavors of ball?
Kyle, aquiring the base is simply a matter of did the runner beat the ball. Is his body beyond the base when the ball is caught. If his front foot is on the ground beyond the bag, his trailing foot may very well not have crossed the leading edge. Did he "beat" the throw in this instance? IMHO, yes he did. I don't belive you can simply use his trailing foot and or if his body is necessarly beyond F3. Especially if F3 is receiving the ball from the 3b line area where he is stretching for the ball. Good timing and better positioning are a must on this type of play. Best of luck and Merry Christmas.
Old Sat Dec 24, 2011, 02:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherblue View Post
Kyle, aquiring the base is simply a matter of did the runner beat the ball. Is his body beyond the base when the ball is caught. If his front foot is on the ground beyond the bag, his trailing foot may very well not have crossed the leading edge. Did he "beat" the throw in this instance? IMHO, yes he did. I don't belive you can simply use his trailing foot and or if his body is necessarly beyond F3. Especially if F3 is receiving the ball from the 3b line area where he is stretching for the ball. Good timing and better positioning are a must on this type of play. Best of luck and Merry Christmas.
Using the trailing foot is not something I came up with. I just don't recall what ruleset, or interpretation it came from. It is out there, though.
Old Sat Dec 24, 2011, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherblue View Post
It is his trailing foot, but it's past the back edge of the base, not the leading edge of the base.
Old Sat Dec 24, 2011, 09:41am
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
My eyes aren't good enough to tell if the trailing foot has passed the leading edge of the bag. The runner has to pass the base (acquiring it) before the ball gets there. If I am going to call him safe on the miss, it's going to look like he easily beat the throw. Otherwise, I'm banging him.
You might be surprised. It's not as tough as you're making it.
Old Sat Dec 24, 2011, 09:45am
Stop staring at me swan.

Here's what you don't want to do...

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?co...72107&c_id=mlb
Old Sat Dec 24, 2011, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Only 3 mistakes on one play.
Old Sat Dec 24, 2011, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Only 3 mistakes on one play.
F3 sure looked like he was making an intentional appeal. He's looking right at the umpire holding his foot on the base. Perhaps he didn't verbalize it. If the umpire bangs him out on the appeal, it would sure look a lot cleaner.

On another note, can you imagine how the crowd would have erupted had he signaled safe and then out.
Old Fri Jun 15, 2012, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Good discussion.

This relates to a situation observed in Little League, with a safety bag. No runners on, batter grounds to third, BR beats throw to first but steps on white part of bag. Throw arrives and 1B touches white part of bag.

Safety base rules require BR to touch orange part of bag on force attempt, so BR has missed the bag. However, based on this thread, he has acquired the bag and the simple touching of the bag by 1B would appear not to constitute a proper appeal.

BR was save when he passed 1B, and remains safe since no proper appeal.
Old Fri Jun 15, 2012, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Whenever I need that out, I just ask that player who's standing on the base with the ball "what's on the outside of a banana ?" Works every time !!!