The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   BR Misses 1st / Beats throw mechanic (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/84750-br-misses-1st-beats-throw-mechanic.html)

HugoTafurst Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:40am

BR Misses 1st / Beats throw mechanic

I am primarily a softball umpire, but I am looking for the proper NFHS BASEBALL mechanic for calling the play at first base where the BR misses the base, but beats the throw.
The softball mechanic (and I believe MLB baseball) mechanic calls for U1 to signal SAFE and then rule on a proper appeal (if there is one).

I'd like to find the documentation for the NFHS (either way) if it exists.
Thanks

Happy Holidays...

justanotherblue Tue Dec 20, 2011 03:10pm

Simply give a safe signal if the BR did indeed beat the throw, "aquiring" the base. It now becomes an appeal play and it's up to the defense to recognize that an proper appeal must be made. Then you would make your ruling.

HugoTafurst Tue Dec 20, 2011 04:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by justanotherblue (Post 806557)
Simply give a safe signal if the BR did indeed beat the throw, "aquiring" the base. It now becomes an appeal play and it's up to the defense to recognize that an proper appeal must be made. Then you would make your ruling.

Thank you.
I'm still looking for NFHS documentation as I am in a discussion with a few HS baseball umpires who insist that an (immediate out call is the correct mechanic.
My word carries no weight. ;-)

mbyron Tue Dec 20, 2011 06:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HugoTafurst (Post 806578)
Thank you.
I'm still looking for NFHS documentation as I am in a discussion with a few HS baseball umpires who insist that an (immediate out call is the correct mechanic.
My word carries no weight. ;-)

NFHS Baseball Umpires Manual, p. 35: the umpire should make no signal that would tip either team to a baserunning error.

If you fail to signal that the runner beat the ball, you will signal the defense that the runner missed the base. Thus the proper mechanic is to signal "safe" and rule on any properly constituted subsequent appeal.

Rich Ives Tue Dec 20, 2011 06:50pm

It's a missed base. Treat it as such.

rbmartin Tue Dec 20, 2011 09:18pm

What if time is called before the overrunning BR can return to 1b or before the defense can properly appeal?

BretMan Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbmartin (Post 806693)
What if time is called before the overrunning BR can return to 1b or before the defense can properly appeal?

Then the umpire has just screwed up and you have to place the B/R on first base. By calling time, you did not give the B/R an opportunity to complete his baserunning responsibilities.

Hugo, I know that you emailed me about this last week. I searched through all the FED materials I have on hand and all I could come up with is what mbyron posted above from the FED Baseball Umpires Manual...then I forgot to email you back.

But I suppose your doubting colleagues might need more than that. If they don't get the basic premise that a runner passing a base is assumed to have aquired it, pending an appeal, then I'm sure they want an interpretation spelled out and wrapped up in a tidy little bow to convince them otherwise. I couldn't find such a reference for FED.

The Major League Baseball Umpires Manual spells this out exactly as has been stated- signal the B/R safe, then wait for an appeal.

justanotherblue Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:46pm

I don't have it with me however, Jaksa/Roder covers this play. You'll need to explain to them the difference between aquiring a base vs. touching a base. Until they understand this concept, they'll never get it.

HugoTafurst Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BretMan (Post 806706)
Then the umpire has just screwed up and you have to place the B/R on first base. By calling time, you did not give the B/R an opportunity to complete his baserunning responsibilities.

Hugo, I know that you emailed me about this last week. I searched through all the FED materials I have on hand and all I could come up with is what mbyron posted above from the FED Baseball Umpires Manual...then I forgot to email you back.

But I suppose your doubting colleagues might need more than that. If they don't get the basic premise that a runner passing a base is assumed to have aquired it, pending an appeal, then I'm sure they want an interpretation spelled out and wrapped up in a tidy little bow to convince them otherwise. I couldn't find such a reference for FED.

The Major League Baseball Umpires Manual spells this out exactly as has been stated- signal the B/R safe, then wait for an appeal.

Bret, you hit the nail on the head...
I have posted this several places and did get the MLB Umpire manual quote which I just emailed to one of them.
Of course, the comment was that they were talking about NFHS,,,

It appears (so far), from inquiring on several boards, that NFHS does not spell it out word for word, nor have a reference to something like " a player who has reached/passed a base is treated as if they touched the base"

Maybe one day they'll get it.:confused:
The good thing is - I don't do baseball with them!
;)

CT1 Wed Dec 21, 2011 08:30am

At one time, FED had a case play which included the concept of an "unintentional" appeal. That is, if a runner (or B/R) missed a base but any fielder with the ball subsequently touched the missed base, the runner was out by appeal.

PLAY: R1. B2 hits a clean single to center, and R1 goes to third, missing second in the process. F8 throws the ball in to F4 who is standing on second base.

I haven't called FED rules in a few years, but I believe that concept has since been removed.

dash_riprock Wed Dec 21, 2011 09:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT1 (Post 806892)
At one time, FED had a case play which included the concept of an "unintentional" appeal. That is, if a runner (or B/R) missed a base but any fielder with the ball subsequently touched the missed base, the runner was out by appeal.

PLAY: R1. B2 hits a clean single to center, and R1 goes to third, missing second in the process. F8 throws the ball in to F4 who is standing on second base.

I haven't called FED rules in a few years, but I believe that concept has since been removed.

The "no accidental appeals" concept is in there.

8.2.6 SITUATION F: With R1 at 1st, B2 hits a double sending R1 to 3rd. However, R1 misses 2nd base. F6 is standing on 2nd when he catches the throw from the outfield. He then throws the ball to the pitcher. RULING: Although R1 missed 2nd, no call will be made by the umpire because F6 did not make an intentional appeal of the missed base.

Rich Ives Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by HugoTafurst (Post 806780)
Bret, you hit the nail on the head...
I have posted this several places and did get the MLB Umpire manual quote which I just emailed to one of them.
Of course, the comment was that they were talking about NFHS,,,

It appears (so far), from inquiring on several boards, that NFHS does not spell it out word for word, nor have a reference to something like " a player who has reached/passed a base is treated as if they touched the base"

Maybe one day they'll get it.:confused:
The good thing is - I don't do baseball with them!
;)

Maybe you can get them to realize that's it's a missed base and on a missed base the runner is safe unless appealed.

That concept IS in FED.

ozzy6900 Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:18pm

Hugo, I've been following this post on this and another board and my advice is simply tell your buddies to get their heads out of their arses! We haven't called the out (in FED) for a missed base since 2004 or 2005 when FED changed the rule. A missed base is a missed base, just like OBR and it is handled the same way.

HugoTafurst Wed Dec 21, 2011 02:54pm

Thanks

Rich, OZZIE and everyone else.

Thanks for confirming the concept.

I don't know if these guys will ever get it coming from me.

I've tried the "missed base requires an appeal" approach, but they were more concerned with "fielder tags the base before the BR touches the base". :eek:
I'm sure you've met them.:rolleyes:

I sent them the MLB wording but they are saying NFHS is different.
I was hoping I could find something NFHS has written for their benefit.
My last suggestion was to have the assignor (YES, that is one of the people who wants to call the out immediately when F3 catches the ball with his foot on the base) write the state rules interpreter.....

Not much more I can do - I'm just a softball umpire,:cool:

Thanks again for your answers.

BretMan Wed Dec 21, 2011 03:02pm

Hugo, do you think that a written interpretation from the chairman of the NFHS Baseball Rules Committe would sway them? :rolleyes:

Kyle McNeely resides in my state and recently sent a message to our state's umpires regarding the 2012 baseball season. In it, he noted that he was always available via email if anyone had any questions regarding baseball in our state.

I decided to take him up on that!

In an email, I posed this play to him and asked what the FED ruling would be. This was his response:

If a throw is made, and the BR beat it, the umpire is to signal "safe." With the appeal now in our rulebook, the defense must intentionally appeal the missed base. If they do so before the BRgets back to first base, the umpire would now rule "out." We have two distinct situations here. The play, which the BR beat, and the appeal that the defense must make. I think we have that as an AR or casebook play. Think of it this way, on the play itself, the BR beat the throw, he is safe. He did not touch the base and that is now on the defense to appeal. I hope this helps. Feel free to contact me anytime. Kyle

Maybe that will sway them!