View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 12, 2011, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Detached Player Equipment

Ump29 posted this a few days ago. The thread was closed due to spamming issues. I wanted to revisit it for clarity.

OP: Runner on 2nd (R2)and 3rd(R3). On a pitched ball, the catcher snap throws to third, R3 breaks toward home, 3rd baseman throws home and the ball hits R3 in the back. Ball bounces off the back of R3 and lands in the dropped catchers mask. R3 called safe, R2 awarded home. Discuss.

Steven Tyler said to 'play on'.

Bob Jenkins wrote:
Quote:
Clearly not "detached equipment" because that requires intent.

I'd also argue "not lodged", but there may be some interp to the contrary.
I would presume Bob is saying to play on, as well. I agree.

In Fed - the detached equipment penalty involves intent, the key words being that the ball is prevented from following its natural course through contact with detached equipment "which is thrown, tossed, kicked or held by a fielder." A dropped mask isn't applicable. A fielder can be attempting to field the ball when his mitt falls off and accidentally contacts the ball. It is not a violation under all codes.

NCAA ball: 8-3g also require intent and a dropped mask is no longer under the control of the catcher.

A detached gear award does not make the ball dead, it is treated the same as a base on balls - live ball, runners can be at risk.