The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Detached Player Equipment (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/84195-detached-player-equipment.html)

MikeStrybel Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:07am

Detached Player Equipment

Ump29 posted this a few days ago. The thread was closed due to spamming issues. I wanted to revisit it for clarity.

OP: Runner on 2nd (R2)and 3rd(R3). On a pitched ball, the catcher snap throws to third, R3 breaks toward home, 3rd baseman throws home and the ball hits R3 in the back. Ball bounces off the back of R3 and lands in the dropped catchers mask. R3 called safe, R2 awarded home. Discuss.

Steven Tyler said to 'play on'.

Bob Jenkins wrote:
Quote:

Clearly not "detached equipment" because that requires intent.

I'd also argue "not lodged", but there may be some interp to the contrary.
I would presume Bob is saying to play on, as well. I agree.

In Fed - the detached equipment penalty involves intent, the key words being that the ball is prevented from following its natural course through contact with detached equipment "which is thrown, tossed, kicked or held by a fielder." A dropped mask isn't applicable. A fielder can be attempting to field the ball when his mitt falls off and accidentally contacts the ball. It is not a violation under all codes.

NCAA ball: 8-3g also require intent and a dropped mask is no longer under the control of the catcher.

A detached gear award does not make the ball dead, it is treated the same as a base on balls - live ball, runners can be at risk.

ozzy6900 Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:20pm

Instead of rehashing the thread, why don't you just go to where the thread started:

Obstruction - Forums

Not for nothing but people are getting in the habit of posting the same question on different forums. I don't know why - maybe they are expecting different outcomes. Little do they realize that we are mostly the same crowd on both forums.

MikeStrybel Mon Dec 12, 2011 01:38pm

Ozzy, I appreciate the fact that you involve yourself in numerous forums and know that this question was posted on one of them. I only participate in this one and was unaware that another forum had the exact question. Bob Jenkins closed the thread on Officiating.com because it was inundated with spam. I assume that he did not know it was on the other site either, since he responded to the discussion too.

As I have told a few coaches over the years, I am not clairvoyant. I thought the OP was worthy of dicussing here. I respect that you don't.

ozzy6900 Mon Dec 12, 2011 07:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeStrybel (Post 803937)
Ozzy, I appreciate the fact that you involve yourself in numerous forums and know that this question was posted on one of them. I only participate in this one and was unaware that another forum had the exact question. Bob Jenkins closed the thread on Officiating.com because it was inundated with spam. I assume that he did not know it was on the other site either, since he responded to the discussion too.

As I have told a few coaches over the years, I am not clairvoyant. I thought the OP was worthy of dicussing here. I respect that you don't.

Just thought that I could save you some time. Enjoy.