The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 30, 2003, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

I just think after calling FED ball and now calling LIL' League for the 1st time, I am getting the rules confused. There are several differences in the rules, and this is surely one of them.

The conversion is driving me crazy! lol

Thank You All for your responses!
Old Wed Apr 30, 2003, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thumpferee
I'm confused about the fact that there are so many different views of the rule.

The rule is the rule.
Except that there are multiple rules codes.

Quote:
Rich says it's a balk.
No, Rich says it's a balk in FED -- he's right.

Quote:
Whowefoolin says pitcher concedes the pick off play when in wind-up position.
Correct -- it doesn't fool anyone at the higher levels because the pick-off move --other than perhaps the leg kick, looks nothing like the normal pitching motion. The (usual) pitching motion has a step back and arm movement other than directly to a throwing position (brought togehter, raised ove the head, etc). The pick-off move needs to be a direect, immediate (don't take these words too literally) step and the arm will go to a thrtowing position (it's not required for a feint, but will be practical for the actual pick-off).

Quote:
Chris s says it's possible for a righty.
For a righty, it will be easier to have the pick at first. Most pitchers pitch from the set with a runner at first, even if there's also runners at second and third). For a lefty, the move will be easier to third.

Quote:
You say it's legal.
I say it's legal under NCAA and OBR rules.

Quote:
I value your interpretation, Bob, but why are we not on same page here as umpires?
I have some ideas, but you'll have to come to your own conclusion.

Quote:
I assumed there would be a defining answer, but, there I go assuming again!
There is, if the question and answer(s) is (are) properly defined and understood.

Old Wed Apr 30, 2003, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Ok guys, who has seen a step and throw from the wind up? I would love to see how this is done. As I said before, it's gonna look so bad even the rookest are gonna nail it.....MOST F1's are gonna step off ,then try to hose
Old Sat Aug 16, 2003, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation what I am saying....

Ever see a lefty step and throw to first from th e wind-up??? IT DOES NOT HAPPEN, forgive me if I am stupid or whatever, but after 10 seasons of calling ball from the little guys to the "Shavers", I have NEVER seen a pick move from the wind-up...ooops, once, I nailed the F1 for a balk cuz he stepped back with non-pivot and wheeled and dealed. I would love to see video on this, tonsee how a F1 can legally pick a R1 at first, It just does not happen.....
Old Sat Aug 16, 2003, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chris s
Ok guys, who has seen a step and throw from the wind up? I would love to see how this is done. As I said before, it's gonna look so bad even the rookest are gonna nail it.....MOST F1's are gonna step off ,then try to hose
I've seen it maybe once or twice in my career, Chris. Most pitchers don't even bother to try and pick off from the windup, though. I don't think it's because they believe they can't - we don't have FED down here, so there is no confusion on that count, and our LL equivalent plays by OBR with a few safety variations. The point is that it's just too risky most of the time.

Most baseballers, even pitchers , have learned that going into the windup position concedes that you likely won't attempt a pick-off with a runner waiting to score from 3rd if you stuff it up. The exception is the wise guy who thinks he's invented a new wrinkle and steps off while simulating the start of his pitching motion. BALK!!! The response of most catchers I know would be to take that guy aside and ask him "who told you that you could think?"

Nevertheless, it IS legal and it IS possible to pick off to ANY base from the windup so long as the arms and leg don't get raised together. Hands fixed in front of the body until the pivot and direction of step is clear, then throw or feint to the base. Raising the arms while raising the leg IS the start of the pitching motion when facing the batter in the windup position, regardless of the pitcher's intent.

For that reason, thumpferee, when on bases I watch the hands and let my peripheral vision detect movement of the feet. If I see the hands begin to move upward and the feet start to move at all then I'd better see a delivery to the batter or I've got a "Balk!"

Cheers
Old Sat Aug 16, 2003, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

Wink BINGO....

How long you be callin, Warren? EXACTLY Picks from the wind-up do not happen, legal, yes, practiced, nada... 99.999 percent of the time when a F1 decides to "step and throw", he BALKS(from the wind-uip, that is) I got this dead horse out back, me beat the crap outa him!!...Cheers Warren