The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 17, 2003, 01:46am
Official Forum Member

I realised that, in giving the current interpretations in the thread Base running dilemma, I had neglected to quote the J/R Interpretation to which I referred.

I don't have the current J/R myself, so I'm forced to rely on the accuracy of a citation from another poster at another forum. Here is the relevant passage:
    A runner is vulnerable to appeal if

(1) he does not touch a base when advancing (or returning) by such base (within a body's length) the final time. An advance or return "by" a base does not include a complete bypass of such base (outside a body's length) in an attempt to reach a subsequent base safely.

EG: R1, no outs, hit and run. A fly is batted to right-center field and R1 touches and rounds second base on his advance. An outfielder dives and catches the fly. R1 reverses direction, misses second base on his way back, and the throw to first goes wild into the dugout. R1 is awarded third. He retouches first, touches second, and proceeds to third: an appeal of second is denied. The runner touched it his final time past the base.
I would have posted in the original thread but that has now quite rightly been closed by the Board Administrator.

Hope this helps

Cheers