The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 26, 2011, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
If it is just a PR move then why do so many teams already ban alcohol in the clubhouse, except for celebratory purposes? Does your boss let you drink at work? If so, enjoy. Most of us don't have that luxury.
I'm not advocating players being able to drink on the job. I'm just saying that the "effect on kids" is almost nothing...considering they're being bombarded with commercials every half inning about alcohol. My point was if MLB did enact the ban it would solely be a PR move, and if they want to do that, more power to them.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Oct 26, 2011, 10:42am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
And all those things that you mentioned are things people actually see on TV. I don't know about you, but I've never seen any professional athlete, during a game, chugging a cold one.
Does Stone Cold Steve Austin ring a bell?
Old Wed Oct 26, 2011, 11:39am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Give me a Hell Yeah.

Dean Martin always had a cigarette and a glass of bourbon in his hand when he was doing his variety show.

Anyhoo, smoking, dipping and chewing is stupid no matter your profession.

I'm guessing you would be fired if you smoked and drank on the job.
Old Wed Oct 26, 2011, 12:20pm
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
Give me a Hell Yeah.

Dean Martin always had a cigarette and a glass of bourbon in his hand when he was doing his variety show.
From Ricci Martin's biography of Dean:

"While it was true that Dad drank, the drunky routines were an act. On stage, and later on the set of his TV show, Dad usually had a J&B scotch and soda he nursed through the performance. It was almost always a weak scotch and soda. Other times it was just apple juice."
Old Wed Oct 26, 2011, 12:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon30307 View Post
Political correctness the scourge of modern civilization continues to spread. Now it invades the clubhouse. Next thing you know they'll ban adjusting your cup, spitting on the field (how could Billy Williams ever step into the batters box without first swinging and hitting his spit) etc.
Not sure what political correctness has to do with not being allowed to use these things. It is illegal to use in many places not called a ball park. You cannot use these things on school property in our state. You cannot smoke in bars and restaurants.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 26, 2011, 01:11pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
From Ricci Martin's biography of Dean:

"While it was true that Dad drank, the drunky routines were an act. On stage, and later on the set of his TV show, Dad usually had a J&B scotch and soda he nursed through the performance. It was almost always a weak scotch and soda. Other times it was just apple juice."
As Dino would say himself, "Naw, dat ain't right."...............

I think Stone Cold spills much more than he actually drinks.
Old Wed Oct 26, 2011, 01:35pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
You left out Cowboy James Storm and Beer Money.
Old Wed Oct 26, 2011, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
I'm not advocating players being able to drink on the job. I'm just saying that the "effect on kids" is almost nothing...considering they're being bombarded with commercials every half inning about alcohol. My point was if MLB did enact the ban it would solely be a PR move, and if they want to do that, more power to them.
This story broke becaue it became known that players were drinking while at work. My kid and many others watch ESPN and know what is happening.

A number of clubs prohibit alcohol in the clubhouse and locker room. They didn't publicize it and all was fine until a couple knuckleheads pushed the envelope and now MLB is stepping in. The Players Union is considering suspensions for members who get popped for DUI/DWI. That never would have happened without media scrutiny. Times have changed.

Mickey Mantle told of his being too drunk to play and how dangerous he was when inebriated. Josh Gibson and Babe Ruth are also known for not being able to play due to drinking too much. I like a beer as much as the next guy but if the boss says I can't do it at work, I don't question his reasons.
Old Wed Oct 26, 2011, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

MLB's resoning doesn't need to have anything to do with example to children. A no alcohol consumption at work is a reasonable HR rule. This allows the employer to avoid possible liability in the case of one of their employees being at fault in an accident and the employee got drunk at work with the boss as the "bartender".

I know that my employer has strict rules on such things.
Old Wed Oct 26, 2011, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

It's all about the context.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
This story broke becaue it became known that players were drinking while at work. My kid and many others watch ESPN and know what is happening.

A number of clubs prohibit alcohol in the clubhouse and locker room. They didn't publicize it and all was fine until a couple knuckleheads pushed the envelope and now MLB is stepping in. The Players Union is considering suspensions for members who get popped for DUI/DWI. That never would have happened without media scrutiny. Times have changed.
It probably also matters that the Red Sox lost this year. After all, in 2004, the whole team was drinking liquor before playoff games. I suspect that beer and chicken wouldn't be a negative story this year, had the Red Sox made it to the World Series.

Now, the fact that success keeps judgment at bay is probably a good lesson for our children to learn.
Old Wed Oct 26, 2011, 03:48pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilLeaguer View Post
It probably also matters that the Red Sox lost this year. After all, in 2004, the whole team was drinking liquor before playoff games. I suspect that beer and chicken wouldn't be a negative story this year, had the Red Sox made it to the World Series.

Now, the fact that success keeps judgment at bay is probably a good lesson for our children to learn.
They didn't lose. They folded like a cheap suit.

Go, Rangers!
Old Wed Oct 26, 2011, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilLeaguer View Post

The Cubs have Theo now, so maybe we'll have to watch the boys celebrations a bit closer. That is, if we finally get something to celebrate!
Old Wed Oct 26, 2011, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Reports are that MLB is leaving it to individual clubs to decide on policy.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Oct 27, 2011, 04:54pm
Veteran College Umpire

"...except for celebratory purposes?"

So the Cubs can drink after each of the 7 games they'll win in 2012?

JJ
Old Sat Oct 29, 2011, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Reminds of the late great Mill Famie.
He was the only ML pitcher to have a better "head to head" record against the great Cy Young. Unfortunatley his drinking got the better of him, and was a constant battle, he'd miss trains, practices and even starts from time to time.
After a season off (due to drinking woes), he refound himself and chose to make one last go of it and discovered sobriety. After a dominate year, he found himself starting game 7 of the series against non other than Cy Young.
After 8 strong innings his team is leading 1-0.
Everyone new of his drinking woes and in an effort to sway his focus "someone" snuck an ice cold one out and dropped it behind the mound, as Mill took the mound in the 9th he noticed the beer there and thought; man I've really earned that, I should, but he shakes it off and gets back to business, he K's the 1st two batters, grabs the rosin bag, and thinks "what can it hurt", he slides the beer into his glove pops the top and slams it. After several months of sobriety coupled with an unseasonably hot Sept. day game in which he's given his all, the effects are immediate. He walks the bases full, walks in the tying run, then struggles to a full count on the next batter only to loose him and allow them to score the winning run.
As the victors hoop and holler and dog pile each other around the mound, one of the young rookies notices the empty beer bottle lying there. He asks, hey what's that? One of the vets say's "come on kid, everybody knows. That's the beer....

that made:

Mill Famie Walk Us