Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 11, 2011, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

CT1,

I "rarely" throw a ball to the pitcher because, like you, I feel that's the catcher's job, so I just usually give one to him when a new ball is required.

The exception for me is when I've come up the line on a fair/foul call and the ball ends up foul. If I'm significantly closer to the pitcher than the catcher is, I'll go ahead and toss it to F1.

I always make sure I've got his attention before I release the throw, and, at my age, the velocity of my throw is such that it isn't going to hurt him even if he does get distracted and gets hit.

As to the OP....

1. I always wait until I'm off the field and well away from the fans before I shake hands or "fist bump" my partner and compliment him on not sucking.

2. I treat having returning balls thrown to me as a "...when in Rome..." situation. It seems primarily level dependent, somewhat regional, and, occasionally, coach/team dependent.

I like the way Bob Jenkins put it in a thread from last year when this discussion came up:

Quote:
...You don't (imo) want to be the "reda$$ umpire who makes us carry the balls out to him on an effin silver platter", nor do you want to be the "effin LL umpire who doesn't understand the protocol at this level."

And, you do sometimes have to spend some time "training" the participants what is expected / allowed. It's (occasionally) a fine line to walk.
There are some coaches who make it a POE to teach their players to be respectful to the umpires. While I personally don't find it disrespectful to have a returning ball tossed to me, it is MORE courteous and respectful for a player to hand the ball to the umpire.

Regardless of whether it's tossed or handed to me, I make it a point to ALWAYS say "Thank you" to the person who returns it to me. And if it's a catcher or head coach, I use his first name when thanking him.

JM
Old Tue Oct 11, 2011, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

It's been long enough since I've worked a game that I can't honestly remember when I shake my partner's hand, but I suspect it was as I left the field. It certainly never caused an issue.

I think the concern is overblown. I referee soccer. In soccer when the match is done, the three referees all congregate in the center circle and shake hands there before heading off the field. No one ever says anything about this because it's done that way all the time (and, let's not flatter ourselves, no one cares much how the officials leave the field, so long as they leave).
Old Tue Oct 11, 2011, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawetag View Post
If the next batter isn't going to bring them to me and someone insists on throwing them, I have them throw it to the catcher. He's the one with a glove on.
Same here. After my shoulder surgery limited my range of motion, I don't throw balls to the pitcher or catch them, either. That's what the catcher is there for, and that way I'm not embarrassed if I zing one to the shortstop by mistake

I've never heard of tossing baseballs to be disrespectful. Depends on how hard they throw them, I guess

Also agree with other posters, your only on-field duty after the last out is to leave ASAP. We don't discuss anything about the game until we are at our cars.
Old Tue Oct 11, 2011, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Eastshire,

Well, if they do it in so@#er, ...

all the more reason NOT to!

JM

(Sorry, couldn't resist!)
Old Tue Oct 11, 2011, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan View Post
Same here. After my shoulder surgery limited my range of motion, I don't throw balls to the pitcher or catch them, either. That's what the catcher is there for, and that way I'm not embarrassed if I zing one to the shortstop by mistake
I've hardly ever thrown a ball back to F1 when behind the plate (I might, as JM mentioned, do it when the situation puts me within 10 feet of him), and I can count the number of times on one hand, usually when F2 decides to go pick up a fouled-back ball.

In my second year of umpiring, I was the BU for a youth league (I believe it was 13- or 14-year-olds). After the plate meeting, PU went to throw the ball to AT's F1 to start warm-ups. He got F1's attention, and as he was throwing it, F1's coach yelled to him. There was no time to react, and PU tossed it into F1's "athletic supporter area". Thankfully, he was wearing a cup.
Old Tue Oct 11, 2011, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

I don't have a problem throwing a ball back to the pitcher if the need arises, typically on a ball that squirts away on the side opposite the on deck batter. As the catcher goes to get it, I can put a new ball in the game. I'm still young enough to throw straight and I prefer to keep the game moving. I see plenty of the best umpires in the world throw one to the pitcher every so often. Most prefer to hand the ball to the catcher, as I do, but it's not a big deal to help the catcher out once in a while. Some actually say thanks.
Old Tue Oct 11, 2011, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
I don't have a problem throwing a ball back to the pitcher if the need arises, typically on a ball that squirts away on the side opposite the on deck batter. As the catcher goes to get it, I can put a new ball in the game. I'm still young enough to throw straight and I prefer to keep the game moving. I see plenty of the best umpires in the world throw one to the pitcher every so often. Most prefer to hand the ball to the catcher, as I do, but it's not a big deal to help the catcher out once in a while. Some actually say thanks.
I do this too. It just depends on the situation. If the foul ball takes the catcher away from the plate or takes me up the line near the pitcher, I will throw it myself. If the ball is just fouled directly back or out of play, I will hand it to the catcher and let him throw it to the pitcher.

As for baseballs being returned to the PU, the only thing I really don't like is when high school coaches throw the ball at my feet between innings. Most will bring the ball by between innings or give it to their catcher, but a few try to long-hop it to me, and I hate it. If it is during the inning, most will just throw it to their catcher and he will hand it to me. If an on-deck batter chases a ball to the screen, I usually tell them to wait and bring it up when they come up to bat. College games are nice because they designate someone to bring you baseballs the entire game and you don't have to worry about getting them from on-deck batters or anyone else.
Old Tue Oct 11, 2011, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BBUMP99
1. I always wait til we're away from the field before any sort of handshake/"good game" remark or anything of the sort is made.

2. Personally, if the on-deck hitter is within 4-6 feet, sure, I don't mind a toss. But if he's over near the fence and wanting to long-toss it to me, I'll tell him "bring it to me when you come up." I've found it saves a lot of time trying to chase dropped throws/bad throws.
Old Tue Oct 11, 2011, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

Soccer is different, because it's played with a clock. When the clock says you're done, you blow your little whistle, and except for injury time for the actors, the game is over.

In baseball, the umpires have a lot more to do with how and when the game ends. THAT'S why you don't shake hands, fist bump, (or hug, in the case of soccer) on the field.

Signed,
Archie Bunker
Old Wed Oct 12, 2011, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
Soccer is different, because it's played with a clock. When the clock says you're done, you blow your little whistle, and except for injury time for the actors, the game is over.

In baseball, the umpires have a lot more to do with how and when the game ends. THAT'S why you don't shake hands, fist bump, (or hug, in the case of soccer) on the field.

Signed,
Archie Bunker
While I know this is meant in jest, I can't help but respond. The truth is actually quite the opposite. Baseball ends when the last out is recorded. Except when that out is a bang-bang play or a called third strike, it's obvious to everyone when it happens (and it's impending nature is also obvious). In soccer, the game is over when the referee says it is and the only clock that matters is conveniently on the referee's wrist where no one can see it.

A soccer referee is far more open to complaint as to when the match is ended than a baseball umpire is.
Old Wed Oct 12, 2011, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

After the game we gather on the mound and chest bump...is that bad?

The professional thing to do is to simply leave the field, hold your conversations and hand-shaking for when you are alone. JMO

When it comes to throwing or not throwing the baseballs - sometimes you should and sometimes you shouldn't. Too many senarios to list.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2011, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
I have a problem throwing the ball to the pitcher, usually I either bounce it, make him dive for it, or sail it over his head, then I say sorry pitch! I cant throw a baseball any more, embarassing.

Mike C
Old Thu Oct 13, 2011, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

1) I have never clasped hands with a partner on the field, or anywhere near it. Aside from nodding and saying "thanks" on those rare occasions when participants/parents/spectators say "good job, blue," my partner and I say nothing until we're back at our cars. I shake his hand when I say good night.

2) I'm with BBUMP99. Here, many (not all) coaches guard baseballs like the Hope diamond, so if I'm short, I'll actually beckon the on-deck guy to toss me the ball. Likewise for fouls straight back to the screen; just toss me the ball. If I'm completely desperate, I'll even accept a long toss. I've actually gotten complements for snagging errant throws, which is hilarious, since I'm no athlete. But I sure as hell don't like it.

As to throwing baseballs to F1, I avoid it as much as possible, both for liability reasons and because, after 20 years of playing rubgy flanker, lock, and number 8, I can't seem to throw a baseball properly. No pain, I've just delivered CKS - Chuck Knoblauch Syndrome. Can someone design a colored ribbon for guys like us?

Finally, I had to howl at kylejt's post. How true. I attended a World Cup preliminary match many years ago between Mexico and Columbia. I was young, stupid and liberal (not coterminous) and convinced I just needed to love so@#er (thanks, JM)) when I saw the same player carried off the field three times on a damned litter. He returned after each exit. Feh.

Oh, and Easthire, rugby works the same way. The official timekeeper is the referee, period. Stadium or TV clocks are just best guess estimates. As it should be.
Old Sat Oct 15, 2011, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

Can't remember last time I shook hands with a partner, but if I did it was right before getting in the truck to go home.

I don't mind having a ball tossed to me from 6-8 feet if done gently, but would rather they walk it up to me and hand off. When I ask for balls, I expect those to be walked up (ie more than one).
Old Sun Oct 16, 2011, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

I agree, don't shake your partners hand on the field of play. At the start of the game, hit my protector, wish me well and jog to your position, after the game, you can tell me how good or bad I was on the way off the field, save the hand shake for the locker room or parking lot for before or after the game.

As for tossing the ball to me. Depends on the level and situation. Generally as you move up to the higher levels, there's someone there to bring you the baseballs you need. I don't see it as showing me up, I do see it as making me look like an *** when I don't catch the darn thing.