View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 10, 2011, 12:13am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie View Post
A couple of things I'd like to ask you umpires who've umpiring a long time (way more than my 6 years)

(1) Oftentime upon completion of a game I would shake the hand of my partner as we were leaving the field remarking that it was pleasure to work with him. I was told by a fellow partner after a game recently that it is not proper to be shaking hands until we are well off the field and out of sight of the teams. Is this considered the SOP for you experienced umpires?

(2) Again, as a plate umpire when a pitch eludes the catcher (whether passed ball or wild pitch) or a pitch is fouled off behind us, I usually throw a new ball out to F1 and have the on-deck batter retrieve the errant balls. However, many times this other person will flip the ball to me from 4 to 6 to 8 feet away and I would catch it and stash it into my bag. I was told by a fellow umpire that this was an insult to the plate umpire - a showing him up. The plate umpire should insist that the ball be handed to him for examination and pocketing into his bag. Do you experienced umpires insist that balls be handed to you in this situation and never flipped?
If you don't want the on deck hitter to throw the ball back to you, either tell them so that maybe they will remember not to do it, or ignore them when they try to get your attention. Usually works for me.

OTOH, how is this showing you up?