The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 09, 2011, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Umpire "Etiquette"

A couple of things I'd like to ask you umpires who've umpiring a long time (way more than my 6 years)

(1) Oftentime upon completion of a game I would shake the hand of my partner as we were leaving the field remarking that it was pleasure to work with him. I was told by a fellow partner after a game recently that it is not proper to be shaking hands until we are well off the field and out of sight of the teams. Is this considered the SOP for you experienced umpires?

(2) Again, as a plate umpire when a pitch eludes the catcher (whether passed ball or wild pitch) or a pitch is fouled off behind us, I usually throw a new ball out to F1 and have the on-deck batter retrieve the errant balls. However, many times this other person will flip the ball to me from 4 to 6 to 8 feet away and I would catch it and stash it into my bag. I was told by a fellow umpire that this was an insult to the plate umpire - a showing him up. The plate umpire should insist that the ball be handed to him for examination and pocketing into his bag. Do you experienced umpires insist that balls be handed to you in this situation and never flipped?
Old Sun Oct 09, 2011, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

1. I save that stuff for the locker room. If you had a great game, probably no one is going to notice your handshake. If you had a terrible game, the team you screwed isn't going to enjoy your celebration. You might as well stay consistent and save your congratulations for later.

2. To me it's more important when the ball is delivered than how. If I'm carrying 5-6 baseballs, just wait until your at bat to give them to me -- I don't need that first pitch foul ball back immediately. If you want to toss one to me while you're walking across the plate, fine, just hit me in the chest.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2011, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

1. Yeah, shaking hands as you leave the field looks like you're congratulating each other upon ending the game.

2. I've never heard of that being a taboo. But, I've got pretty good hand/eye. Some guys don't, and probably would look silly trying to catch a ball, so I see where that's coming from. So for fellows who can't catch a ball flipped to them from 6 feet away, that might be pretty insulting. (hunh?)
Old Mon Oct 10, 2011, 12:13am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie View Post
A couple of things I'd like to ask you umpires who've umpiring a long time (way more than my 6 years)

(1) Oftentime upon completion of a game I would shake the hand of my partner as we were leaving the field remarking that it was pleasure to work with him. I was told by a fellow partner after a game recently that it is not proper to be shaking hands until we are well off the field and out of sight of the teams. Is this considered the SOP for you experienced umpires?

(2) Again, as a plate umpire when a pitch eludes the catcher (whether passed ball or wild pitch) or a pitch is fouled off behind us, I usually throw a new ball out to F1 and have the on-deck batter retrieve the errant balls. However, many times this other person will flip the ball to me from 4 to 6 to 8 feet away and I would catch it and stash it into my bag. I was told by a fellow umpire that this was an insult to the plate umpire - a showing him up. The plate umpire should insist that the ball be handed to him for examination and pocketing into his bag. Do you experienced umpires insist that balls be handed to you in this situation and never flipped?
If you don't want the on deck hitter to throw the ball back to you, either tell them so that maybe they will remember not to do it, or ignore them when they try to get your attention. Usually works for me.

OTOH, how is this showing you up?
Old Mon Oct 10, 2011, 03:01am
Official Forum Member

1. While we are not automatons, we need to limit our emotions somewhat. Kyle and Brian illustrated why. Besides, if you guys are doing your jobs properly, there will be a postgame where you can do that.

2. Never heard it being described as "showing up," but more a minor no-win situation. You catch it, no one notices. You drop it, you look the fool; it goes by you, it holds up the game.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2011, 07:46am
Official Forum Member

1) Yes, wait.

2) True at higher levels (where you can keep both ball bags "full" and a ball-person brings out the new balls when you request them. At most HS and below games where you have 3-5 balls for the entire game, it's not as big a deal, especially if the ball fouled to the screen is the "last" one. If you still have a couple, then have the on-deck batter bring it to the plate when he comes to bat.

Both, especially the latter, are soemwhat area dependent -- much like someone calling the umpire "blue" instead of by name.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2011, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

1. Game is over you should be getting "out of Dodge" noone is paying attention to you anyways. I either wait by the "exit" or I'm meeting my partner by the "exit". I don't think I shake hands I just get off the field.

2. There are games where I'm handed the ball and there are games where I'm handed the ball, they're tossed to me/catcher and they're rolled to me, airmailed to me, mailed to me, FedXed to me quite frankly I really don't care how you get them to me just get them to me.

It amazes me that people make a big deal about how they get the friggin ball.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2011, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

1. Shake hands when one of you is leaving for home from the parking lot or locker room. It's as good a time as any and cannot be miscontrued.

2. I prefer to have collegiate minders hand me game balls. They are usually bringing three or four out. Varsity ball is a different story. I want the game to move along and have no problem with a coach or player tossing a ball my way, if I'm looking that is.

As an aside, I stopped letting coaches throw balls in to the mound from the dugout last year. Illinois has an official baseball for playoff contests. The pitcher for the home team had a big hook and after repeated foul balls out of play, I was out of baseballs. The HC tossed one in from his dugout and the kid cracked off a nasty deuce for the third out. The catcher rolled it back out to the mound. The HC told the AC to pick it up on his way to the 1B box. He was beat to the punch by the HC from the visiting team who saw it was a high raised seam ball, that is not allowed in HS ball. I am pretty vigilant now.

It was a pretty rotten Spring for baseball this year. We went through a bunch of balls due to the wet conditions. I had coaches toweling them off during many games. With tighter budgets, it was unlikely that we would see a coach crack open a new dozen late in the game. Get me a game ball and let's get the game finished.

Last edited by MikeStrybel; Mon Oct 10, 2011 at 11:19am.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2011, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

I agree, congratulate each other when you leave the field. The losing team can easily take it the wrong way.

As far as having the ball tossed back, just make sure I am looking at you.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2011, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
As an aside, I stopped letting coaches throw balls in to the mound from the dugout last year. Illinois has an official baseball for playoff contests. The pitcher for the home team had a big hook and after repeated foul balls out of play, I was out of baseballs. The HC tossed one in from his dugout and the kid cracked off a nasty deuce for the third out. The catcher rolled it back out to the mound. The HC told the AC to pick it up on his way to the 1B box. He was beat to the punch by the HC from the visiting team who saw it was a high raised seam ball, that is not allowed in HS ball. I am pretty vigilant now.
I'd like to hear how this situation was remedied?

-Josh
Old Mon Oct 10, 2011, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon30307 View Post
quite frankly I really don't care how you get them to me just get them to me.
If the next batter isn't going to bring them to me and someone insists on throwing them, I have them throw it to the catcher. He's the one with a glove on.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2011, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
I'd like to hear how this situation was remedied?

-Josh
We had a rough Spring here, Josh. In fact, our playoff games were delayed due to the rain and field conditions. I'm not sure how many baseballs are issued by the state for these contests but they were depleted quickly at our field. It seemed that almost every outfield hit required a new baseball. Between innings, the HC would almost always pick up the game ball and rub it up as his pitcher came out. This hadn't been a problem as the ground was saturated and we did all we could to keep the balls clean and dry. He saw the ball and waved it to me. I figured he wanted another one and flipped one that I had just been given to his pitcher as he came on the field.

After inspecting the suspect baseball, I approached the other HC and asked him why he didn't give me an official ball. He pleaded innocent and said that he just grabbed a ball from the bucket after he saw me show empty ball bags. We had used the supply of new balls and were toweling off others as the game progressed. He knew the opposing HC and apologized loud enough for him to be placated. The opposing team wound up winning so karma prevailed.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2011, 05:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

1. I do not think it matters as much as people are making this out to be. I am mostly worried about leaving the field first. I have never really thought about where I shake my partner’s hand. People will read into these things even if you do it in the parking lot.

2. Never heard this one before. Usually they flip the ball and if they make me have to go out of my way to get it, I will let it go. That being said flipping it to me is likely going to keep the game moving. Also when I have on-deck batter go get the ball, I do not try to get the ball from them unless I have no baseballs in the bag. Other than that I could give a darn how they give me the ball unless they are making me have to run and get it. I think sometimes people get these "pro" ideals in their head and try to apply it to a level where we do not have the luxury of ball boys/girls or an organized level where there are multiple balls sitting off to the side.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 11, 2011, 01:58am
Official Forum Member

Thanks everyone for your responses. I will now follow through with a handshake with my partner well off the field for the concerns mentioned above (though I wonder why it has been 6 years for someone to even mention it to me).

As for the 2nd issue, I encountered that stricture during a gathering of umpires from all over the country. It was mentioned to all of us in attendance by an umpire who hails from the West Coast. (Might it might be a West Coast thing??) However, though fully capable of catching a flip, I will tighten up on my practice of it depending upon the situation.

Thanks again...
Old Tue Oct 11, 2011, 07:27am
Official & ***** Member

One thing in your post that no one has mentioned:

I *never* throw a new ball to the pitcher. To my mind, that's the catcher's job. Plus. if F1 happens to be distracted & gets hit with my throw, guess who's going to catch hell for it?

Now if F2 just got dinged, I'll slowly walk the ball out toward the mound & *give* it to F1, but I don't throw.