The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 17, 2011, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry1953 View Post
Bob, that makes sense. However, consider a ball hit on a line 250 feet further that landed in the same proximity to the line without kicking up any chalk and bouncing away into foul ground. It might be better to call that one close but no cigar.
And this is why you aren't an umpire.

Bye bye now.
Old Sat Sep 17, 2011, 11:55pm
In Time Out

Quote:
The best replay view seemed to show the ball barely landing foul and then it hopped up and deflected off the glove. It was an incredibly stupid play by F5 Russ Johnson - the only thing that would have made it "better" would have been if it closed out the first 100th loss in team history instead of just the 99th. You've got to make your share of plays like that to lose 100 games.
Are you a Lastro fan?

Even the Pirates have left them in their dust.
Old Sun Sep 18, 2011, 01:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTex View Post
With the bases loaded, the plate umpire will give up fair/foul decisions outside the circle to the wing umpires so he can prepare for a possible play at the plate. This is an advanced 3- or 4-man mechanic.
This is correct. It is used in the minors as well in addition to some other mechanics that are filtering to NCAA.
Old Sun Sep 18, 2011, 01:40am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
Are you a Lastro fan?

Must be nice to have a great ballclub to root for right in your home town!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun Sep 18, 2011, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
Are you a Lastro fan?

Indeed I am. Dad took me to the second game played at Colt Stadium in 1962. That team was better than this one. It took 50 years, but we finally reached the century mark. And now they'll probably be moved to the AL. What a mess!
Old Sun Sep 18, 2011, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Indeed I am. Dad took me to the second game played at Colt Stadium in 1962. That team was better than this one. It took 50 years, but we finally reached the century mark. And now they'll probably be moved to the AL. What a mess!
Hows about we keep them in the NL Central and they can send the Brew Crew back to the AL. As a Cubs fan, I'd be alright with that............

Tim.
Old Sun Sep 18, 2011, 08:48am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56 View Post
Hows about we keep them in the NL Central and they can send the Brew Crew back to the AL. As a Cubs fan, I'd be alright with that............

Tim.
As a Brewers season ticket holder (who is actually a Phillies fan), I'd be happy if the Cubs were shipped somewhere else. Mainly because I hate going to Miller Park when a bunch of Cubs fans come up. Of course, they've been pretty absent this year.

(BTW, I just got the A&E DVD that shows the entire 23-22 Phillies/Cubs game from 1979. Good stuff. The ML umpires were on strike, BTW, so the game is being done with replacements who all worked less than a few dozen games in the major leagues.)
Old Sun Sep 18, 2011, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56 View Post

Tim.
I think the writing is on the wall for the Astros to be moved to the AL West. The best they can do is bargain for some extra draft picks and some financial considerations. It would be quite a kick in the gut for lifelong fans and might take whatever heart is left out of the franchise. But nobody else in baseball would really care.
Old Sun Sep 18, 2011, 02:25pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
As a Brewers season ticket holder (who is actually a Phillies fan), I'd be happy if the Cubs were shipped somewhere else. Mainly because I hate going to Miller Park when a bunch of Cubs fans come up. Of course, they've been pretty absent this year.
Same here. The Cubs fans outnumber Pads fans at our home games, and we have to wear dark sunglasses to keep the glare from their pasty faces from burning our retinas!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun Sep 18, 2011, 02:54pm
Veteran College Umpire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
(BTW, I just got the A&E DVD that shows the entire 23-22 Phillies/Cubs game from 1979. Good stuff. The ML umpires were on strike, BTW, so the game is being done with replacements who all worked less than a few dozen games in the major leagues.)
Any idea who those umpires were?

JJ
Old Sun Sep 18, 2011, 02:58pm
Veteran College Umpire

Umpires: HP - Dick Cavenaugh, 1B - Bill Lawson, 2B - Dennis Riccio, 3B - Dave Slickenmeyer

Found it....Slick's the only one I know personally...he worked major college ball for years in the Chicago area and the Big Ten.

JJ
Old Mon Sep 19, 2011, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
FAIR TERRITORY is that part of the playing field within, and including the first base and third base lines, from home base to the bottom of the playing field fence and perpendicularly upwards. All foul lines are in fair territory.
Your inference here is both contrary to rule and common sense. You seem to be saying that a particular ball could be foul, yet if you take that same ball and lift it an inch it's fair. Sorry - that dog don't hunt.

And yes, I have seen a ball come completely to rest while touching only foul ground - and still be fair by rule.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Sep 19, 2011, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Bob, that makes sense. However, consider a ball hit on a line 250 feet further that landed in the same proximity to the line without kicking up any chalk and bouncing away into foul ground. It might be better to call that one close but no cigar.
Better by whose perception? Not by any umpire I know. PS - can't find "close" in the definition at all. It's fair or it's foul and the rule is VERY easy to understand.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Sep 19, 2011, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Must be nice to have a great ballclub to root for right in your home town!
I thought we all agreed not to quote him. Now you've made me read his words - I've just lost 1 IQ point.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Sep 19, 2011, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Better by whose perception? Not by any umpire I know. PS - can't find "close" in the definition at all. It's fair or it's foul and the rule is VERY easy to understand.
Ortiz hit a ball near the Pesky pole today that was ruled foul. The replay seemed to show it hit about a foot and a half fair hitting the Scott sign. Just saying, if it hits near the foul line and doesn't kick up chalk, probably best to rely on that clue considering Estabrook might have missed it by 18 inches with all the clutter in the background.

ETA: another replay shows it might have just grazed off the fence to the foul side of the pole in that weird "hockey rink" right field. Strange play.

Last edited by Larry1953; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 06:46pm.