The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 28, 2011, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Like Jim Joyce in the perfect game fiasco?

Or Don Denkinger in the WS.

Or Richie Garcia on the Jeter HR/Interference in the playoffs?

Nope - competent umpires never miss a call do they?
Rich, you have jumped the shark.
Old Mon Aug 29, 2011, 01:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
No. What I think is silly is to just automatically review a non-disputed call.
NHL does it all the time.
Old Mon Aug 29, 2011, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawetag View Post
NHL does it all the time.
And?
Old Mon Aug 29, 2011, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Like Jim Joyce in the perfect game fiasco?

Or Don Denkinger in the WS.

Or Richie Garcia on the Jeter HR/Interference in the playoffs?

Nope - competent umpires never miss a call do they?
Gee, and I always thought it was all part of the game of baseball. I guess LL has become so important that no call can be left to human interpretation. Tell me, how soon will cameras make it to your local LL field? Hell, if the call is that important in the LLWS, then it has to be important during the regular season!

After all, as all of you LL'ers always say - "it's all for the kids!!!!!!"
Old Mon Aug 29, 2011, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Reviewing the final play doesn't necessarily mean stopping the post game celebrations. They just do a quick check and if it's OK then things CONTINUE to proceed as normal. Only if there is an issue would the celebrations / crying need to be stopped.

Last edited by STL_UMP; Mon Aug 29, 2011 at 11:51am.
Old Mon Aug 29, 2011, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
Gee, and I always thought it was all part of the game of baseball. I guess LL has become so important that no call can be left to human interpretation. Tell me, how soon will cameras make it to your local LL field? Hell, if the call is that important in the LLWS, then it has to be important during the regular season!

After all, as all of you LL'ers always say - "it's all for the kids!!!!!!"
This isn't about the cameras. It's about people disparaging LL and saying that an experienced umpire would not make a mistake.
Old Mon Aug 29, 2011, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Rich ... I think part of this lies in the fact that a real umpire would be offended if every single call was reviewed to this extent (even if they didn't say so out loud). I think most of your readers are offended on behalf of the umpires forced to work under these conditions and perhaps make the leap from there to inferring that any umpire with a grain of pride in his job would actually NOT work given these conditions.

LL is basically saying that the assumption is that the umpires suck, and they must act accordingly.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Aug 29, 2011, 10:39pm

Quote:
This isn't about the cameras. It's about people disparaging LL and saying that an experienced umpire would not make a mistake.
I watched most of the games, and the umpires were reversed several times. There were a few real doozies. I don't recall missing this many calls in a year, much less in such a short time frame as this series.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Aug 30, 2011, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
And?
And it doesn't change the pace of the game unless it's a real close one. In fact, with some of the changes they're making to the nets this year, the reviews will be completed even quicker.
Old Tue Aug 30, 2011, 12:36am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Rich ... I think part of this lies in the fact that a real umpire would be offended if every single call was reviewed to this extent (even if they didn't say so out loud). I think most of your readers are offended on behalf of the umpires forced to work under these conditions and perhaps make the leap from there to inferring that any umpire with a grain of pride in his job would actually NOT work given these conditions.

LL is basically saying that the assumption is that the umpires suck, and they must act accordingly.
NFL, MLB, NHL & NBA have replay and I'm not under the assumption they suck. People have choices. Make the one that you can live with.
Old Tue Aug 30, 2011, 12:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
I watched most of the games, and the umpires were reversed several times. There were a few real doozies. I don't recall missing this many calls in a year, much less in such a short time frame as this series.
I wonder (seriously) if the knowledge that their calls were going to be scrutinized via instant replay didn't somehow facilitate the bigger misses.

Tim.
Old Tue Aug 30, 2011, 01:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawetag View Post
And it doesn't change the pace of the game unless it's a real close one. In fact, with some of the changes they're making to the nets this year, the reviews will be completed even quicker.
So...this relates to baseball how?
Old Tue Aug 30, 2011, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56 View Post
I wonder (seriously) if the knowledge that their calls were going to be scrutinized via instant replay didn't somehow facilitate the bigger misses.

Tim.
I wonder about this too. It's been a discussion point re: NFL officials here and there.

How would it affect your game if you knew you basically never had to 'sell' any calls? Interesting.
Old Tue Aug 30, 2011, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post

1) No, they are not. They are declaring finality to a system that involves players and umpires from around the globe. They have experienced problems prior and seek to have a means to address it. That is all it is.

2) Anyone who has been through pro school or worked in the Minors knows this type of scrutiny exists.

3) I find it funny that umpires would ridicule those who have achieved the highest accolade in small ball - the opportunity to work the LLWS. Those umpires work without pay for years, finance their way through tournaments and when called, pay for the Williamsport trip too. It is a proud moment for youth officials and hardly warrants suck attack from others. I don't work small ball but believe that the crews who worked this year did a great job. Making fun of them and their achievement is petty. Do you also ridicule the CWS crews that worked this year?

4) We dedicated a thread to congratulating Bob on winning an award in Illinois this year. Why is it so hard to simply do the same to those who worked the LLWS?
Old Tue Aug 30, 2011, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan View Post
I wonder about this too. It's been a discussion point re: NFL officials here and there.

How would it affect your game if you knew you basically never had to 'sell' any calls? Interesting.
It's not true. I was fortunate to attend a conference a few years ago with several pro officials - NFL, NBA and MLB. At one discussion the topic of scrutiny arose. A man who has worked several Super Bowls addressed the dismissal of making tough calls firmly because IR would make you look bad. He said that any official who is even slightly hesitant will be shown the nearest exit. He stressed the need to be firm in making tough calls. Not all calls will be challenged and selling it is still vital to top officiating - even more so on amateur fields where camcorders and phones abound, but discretion doesn't. If the best of the best believe that IR helps them call the game properly, I will happily concur.