The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   LLWS Video on last play? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/79584-llws-video-last-play.html)

bsaucer Sat Aug 27, 2011 09:39am

LLWS Video on last play?

I was watching a LLWS game on TV, and they were showing a list of the rules for video review on the screen. It included a rule that the last play of the game is always reviewed. Does that apply if a game ends on a called pitch?

Rich Ives Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:22am

Pitch isn't a "play" so it isn't a game-ending "play" so it wouldn't get reviewed.

BretMan Sun Aug 28, 2011 07:11am

Does it apply on, say, a one-hopper to F3 who steps on first before the batter can get two steps out of the box?

Rich Ives Sun Aug 28, 2011 08:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BretMan (Post 784078)
Does it apply on, say, a one-hopper to F3 who steps on first before the batter can get two steps out of the box?

Yes.

So what?

Maybe he missed the base.

johnnyg08 Sun Aug 28, 2011 09:15am

Yeah, I agree with some on here. Why even have six umpires working? With all of the reviews and the cameras...they could easily work this as two man. I know, it gets for umpires into the stadium to work and I guess if that's the only reason, that's good enough for me.

zm1283 Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:05pm

And the circus continues....

BretMan Sun Aug 28, 2011 02:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 784091)
So what?

It seems like a ridiculous redundancy, that's what.

Wouldn't this be sweet...the championship game ends on the play I posted above. Celebratory pandemonium breaks loose. Some kids are screaming, some kids are crying, some are piling up in the infield, the fans are going wild and the television announcers are spouting their usual analytical drivel...

Wait! get 'em back out on the field! The game's not over! The officials we've chosen to call our most important game aren't able to get the most basic routine call right!

And if you say that is an unlikely scenario...then you're saying that reviewing the final play of the game, no matter how routine or obvious, is redundant.

SanDiegoSteve Sun Aug 28, 2011 03:56pm

By the looks of that simple safe/out call at first that was blown (and should have been challenged), these umpires can use all the help from replay they can get.

Rich Ives Sun Aug 28, 2011 04:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BretMan (Post 784136)
It seems like a ridiculous redundancy, that's what.

Wouldn't this be sweet...the championship game ends on the play I posted above. Celebratory pandemonium breaks loose. Some kids are screaming, some kids are crying, some are piling up in the infield, the fans are going wild and the television announcers are spouting their usual analytical drivel...

Wait! get 'em back out on the field! The game's not over! The officials we've chosen to call our most important game aren't able to get the most basic routine call right!

And if you say that is an unlikely scenario...then you're saying that reviewing the final play of the game, no matter how routine or obvious, is redundant.

The calling them back after the last play already happened in this series.

Do you really want the game to end on a disputed call?

Rich Ives Sun Aug 28, 2011 04:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve (Post 784148)
By the looks of that simple safe/out call at first that was blown (and should have been challenged), these umpires can use all the help from replay they can get.

If you're talking the one in this game it was a banger and not that obvious and the CA coach was so focused on the "out of baseline" discussion he overlooked the thing he should have seen.

SanDiegoSteve Sun Aug 28, 2011 04:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 784152)
If you're talking the one in this game it was a banger and not that obvious and the CA coach was so focused on the "out of baseline" discussion he overlooked the thing he should have seen.

Only a banger to the untrained eye. Fairly routine for competent umpires to never miss.

Rich Ives Sun Aug 28, 2011 05:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve (Post 784155)
Only a banger to the untrained eye. Fairly routine for competent umpires to never miss.

Like Jim Joyce in the perfect game fiasco?

Or Don Denkinger in the WS.

Or Richie Garcia on the Jeter HR/Interference in the playoffs?

Nope - competent umpires never miss a call do they?

SanDiegoSteve Sun Aug 28, 2011 06:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 784158)

Or Don Denkinger in the WS.

Or Richie Garcia on the Jeter HR/Interference in the playoffs?

Nope - competent umpires never miss a call do they?

Rarely.

BretMan Sun Aug 28, 2011 07:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 784150)
Do you really want the game to end on a disputed call?

No. What I think is silly is to just automatically review a non-disputed call.

But it is what it is and it's their game and they can do what they want with it. I'm just throwing out an opinion on a high-profile policy involving a hobby I enjoy (umpiring).

When it comes right down to it, on the "This Gets Me Worked Up" scale, it registers about the same as what you posted earlier..."So what?".

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Aug 28, 2011 09:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 784158)

The Gods of Baseball got that game correct. The Tigers' F3 had no business fielding the ball. Had the F3 allowed F4 to field the grounder the B/R runner would have been out F4 to F3 by 30 feet. Both Mark, Jr., and Andy (my younger son, and both F3's in their playing days) both said that the very first time they saw the play.

MTD, Sr.

P.S. Besides the Tigers' F1 appeared to bobble the throw.