View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 30, 2011, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Rich ... I think part of this lies in the fact that a real umpire would be offended if every single call was reviewed to this extent (even if they didn't say so out loud). I think most of your readers are offended on behalf of the umpires forced to work under these conditions and perhaps make the leap from there to inferring that any umpire with a grain of pride in his job would actually NOT work given these conditions.

LL is basically saying that the assumption is that the umpires suck, and they must act accordingly.
1) No, they are not. They are declaring finality to a system that involves players and umpires from around the globe. They have experienced problems prior and seek to have a means to address it. That is all it is.

2) Anyone who has been through pro school or worked in the Minors knows this type of scrutiny exists.

3) I find it funny that umpires would ridicule those who have achieved the highest accolade in small ball - the opportunity to work the LLWS. Those umpires work without pay for years, finance their way through tournaments and when called, pay for the Williamsport trip too. It is a proud moment for youth officials and hardly warrants suck attack from others. I don't work small ball but believe that the crews who worked this year did a great job. Making fun of them and their achievement is petty. Do you also ridicule the CWS crews that worked this year?

4) We dedicated a thread to congratulating Bob on winning an award in Illinois this year. Why is it so hard to simply do the same to those who worked the LLWS?