The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 12, 2011, 01:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to aceholleran
For once, a writer backs the umps

The comments will make you retch, but the article is a good read.

Blame baseball for shameful treatment of umpires - MLB - CBSSports.com Baseball
Old Fri Aug 12, 2011, 07:00am
Official Forum Member

Sadly true

Wow, and a good article - he got it right. That's why we have so much trouble finding umpires and its getting worse and worse. To umpire baseball, we have to put up with way too much, and we don't have anything except an ejection.

In basketball, a T gives the other team points. Football a flag gives the other team 15 yards. Baseball, - nothing.

I believe its just a matter of time and we will have another incident as in the past - only this time it will be available on the web, utube, etc., whereas all of the incidents in the past were long forgotten.

Molina should have gotten 10 games minimum - he gets what five, and then Victorino charges the mound and gets three???? Maybe just me but I find that amusing.

But it shows the priority of baseball - protect the players, even when they act like an idiot

Thanks
David
Old Fri Aug 12, 2011, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
In basketball, a T gives the other team points.
Not even that; it gives the other team a CHANCE to make points (and possession after the attempts, I believe).
Old Fri Aug 12, 2011, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Hang on a second, fellas. Basketball refs take far more $#@* than baseball umpires ever to. I'll go watch a HS basketball game, and I swear that those coaches would last about thrity second on the baseball field with me. They'll yell right in the ear of a ref nonstop. Why it's accepted there I do not know.

On the diamond, nobody yells at me. I take care of my own business. Now the MLB is a whole different animal. It's entertainment, a TV reality show, if you will. Don't confuse MLB with what we do out there. And that's the real problem, 'cause we run into managers that do.
Old Fri Aug 12, 2011, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
hang on a second, fellas. Basketball refs take far more $#@* than baseball umpires ever to. I'll go watch a hs basketball game, and i swear that those coaches would last about thrity second on the baseball field with me. They'll yell right in the ear of a ref nonstop. Why it's accepted there i do not know.

On the diamond, nobody yells at me. I take care of my own business. Now the mlb is a whole different animal. It's entertainment, a tv reality show, if you will. don't confuse mlb with what we do out there. And that's the real problem, 'cause we run into managers that do.
absolutely!
Old Sat Aug 13, 2011, 07:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hang on a second, fellas. Basketball refs take far more $#@* than baseball umpires ever to. I'll go watch a HS basketball game, and I swear that those coaches would last about thrity second on the baseball field with me. They'll yell right in the ear of a ref nonstop. Why it's accepted there I do not know.

On the diamond, nobody yells at me. I take care of my own business. Now the MLB is a whole different animal. It's entertainment, a TV reality show, if you will. Don't confuse MLB with what we do out there. And that's the real problem, 'cause we run into managers that do.
I do not know how you guys can take all of the BS flying at you on the court. I do not know much about the rules of basketball (hate the game) but I think that B-Ball officials should not have to endure this much crap.
Old Sat Aug 13, 2011, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Not in my games. Most of the time coaches in basketball especially good ones spend most of the time yelling at their players or "begging" for a call.
Things like he walked, over the back, he pushed him, etc.,

if they cross the line (just as in baseball), its easy to take care of ... T - sit down for rest of the game coach - and I'm giving the other team the ball and a chance to make two points.

Baseball, coaches spend most of the game yelling at their players and "begging for calls" - "good pitch", "what was wrong with that one" "come on blue call it both ways" "that was low" etc., what recourse do we have? Sure I can shut them up, I can eject them, but their is NO penalty for their team. Often, it HELPS their team as many coaches get ejected in baseball on purpose.

Anyway, just what I see ... might be different in others parts of the country.

Thanks
David
Old Sun Aug 14, 2011, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

During one of my first years of umpiring, I told a partner about all of the yelling and whining I heard during games. He was an old timer and I figured he would tell me how to handle the coaches and players who were always so upset. Instead, he said, "If they are all complaining so much, you probably aren't doing a good job." I'll never forget that. Coaches usually yell for two reasons; you either kicked a call (at least in their minds) or they are trying to rally their team. The latter doesn't bother me any more, as long as it doesn't effect the other team.
Old Sun Aug 14, 2011, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
I do not know how you guys can take all of the BS flying at you on the court. I do not know much about the rules of basketball (hate the game) but I think that B-Ball officials should not have to endure this much crap.
First of all there's not as much vitriol directed at the officials that you might think. Despite what you might think basketball is a contact sport and as such emotions are much higher. In terms of contact we go by the concept of advantage/disadvantage. In a particularly rough game we might call everything. In a game between two highly skilled teams we might let them play through the fouls. There's no comparison in how the games are officiated in this sense. In baseball timing is of utmost importance. In basketball snap judgements need to be made. In basketball we're in constant contact (so it seems) with The Head Coach. In baseball this is not the case. In basketball personal remarks such as you're terrible etc. warrant a Tee. You missed that, bad call etc. may or may not warrant a Tee. Just depends. Interpersonal skills are of the utmost importance in basketball. While important in baseball I might have contact (usually the case) only at the pregame conference or when changes are made. In basketball I'm by a Coach the whole game.
Old Sun Aug 14, 2011, 06:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
Not in my games. Most of the time coaches in basketball especially good ones spend most of the time yelling at their players or "begging" for a call.
Things like he walked, over the back, he pushed him, etc.,

if they cross the line (just as in baseball), its easy to take care of ... T - sit down for rest of the game coach - and I'm giving the other team the ball and a chance to make two points.

Baseball, coaches spend most of the game yelling at their players and "begging for calls" - "good pitch", "what was wrong with that one" "come on blue call it both ways" "that was low" etc., what recourse do we have? Sure I can shut them up, I can eject them, but their is NO penalty for their team. Often, it HELPS their team as many coaches get ejected in baseball on purpose.

Anyway, just what I see ... might be different in others parts of the country.

Thanks
David
If I hear a coach offer up his opinion on plays (travel, double dribble, that's a foul, etc), it's going to get addressed fairly quickly. Normally, a quick quiet word is enough. If it doesn't get addressed, that attitude spreads to the players and Ts are more likely. I also don't tolerate screaming at me.
Old Sun Aug 14, 2011, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
If I hear a coach offer up his opinion on plays (travel, double dribble, that's a foul, etc), it's going to get addressed fairly quickly. Normally, a quick quiet word is enough. If it doesn't get addressed, that attitude spreads to the players and Ts are more likely. I also don't tolerate screaming at me.
yep, there's a huge difference in a coach talking to you etc., but screaming is a whole different thing - gonna get taken care of quickly.

Thanks
David