The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 14, 2011, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Post Calling All Umps! (new book)

Calling All Umps! Essays about: The Ugly, the Bad, and the Good by Carl Childress

168 pages, $15.00, Amazon.com

Here's the author's note.

You may know me from the days when I was the "Doing It" and "By the Rules" columnist for Referee magazine. Perhaps you read some of my stuff at Officiating.com: I'm both the editor and a contributing writer. You may even know me from the Gerry Davis e-newsletter, Sports Talk. Certainly you're familiar with my unique volume called Baseball Rules Differences or the BRD.

The book's subtitle reveals much about the content. My wife, who reads all my stuff, suggested there was a theme to this book. "Papa, I think ...."

You'll likely recognize we stole from the Sergio Leone film, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. We've reversed the categories because most the points I need to make deal with umpire mistakes. Some are egregious (the ugly), but some are easily preventable (the bad). You'll find me in both groups.

Along the way, I tip my hat to umpires whose work was just terrific (the good). I also lurk there from time to time.

I know this: Even if you don't agree with my suggestions or techniques, you'll be a better umpire by the time you've finished reading these essays.
-----------------

There's more information in a free announcement at Officiating.com. No login required.

My standard guarantee is in effect. Buy the book: If you don't like it, I'll personally refund your money - and you can keep the book.
Old Fri Jul 15, 2011, 06:59am
Official Forum Member

Sheesh, Carl. With this book and the several others you mention in the Foreward, I wonder if I'll have any money left in my bank account.

Last edited by yawetag; Fri Jul 15, 2011 at 07:02am.
Old Sun Jul 17, 2011, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

For those interested, Amazon has added the book to its site, but it's not for sale yet. You can ask to be notified when it's available.
Old Thu Jul 21, 2011, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
THE BOOK IS NOW ON SALE! It's eligible for free shipping: Buy $25 worth of eligible items, and everything ships free.

I'm very proud of it. I hope my fans like it as much as they liked 51 Ways to Ruin a Baseball Game.
Old Thu Jul 21, 2011, 04:53pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Childress View Post
THE BOOK IS NOW ON SALE! It's eligible for free shipping: Buy $25 worth of eligible items, and everything ships free.

I'm very proud of it. I hope my fans like it as much as they liked 51 Ways to Ruin a Baseball Game.
Have an Amazon Prime membership, and it ships 2-day for free all by itself.
Old Thu Jul 21, 2011, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

Carl,

Please don't respond to this post with "what took you so long?!?," but I finally broke down and bought the BRD today on Amazon. I cannot wait to receive it.

(P.S. My wife, after briefly reading what that book is about on Amazon.com, is now absolutely convinced that I am beyond hope. LOL)
Old Thu Jul 21, 2011, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawump View Post
Carl,

Please don't respond to this post with "what took you so long?!?," but I finally broke down and bought the BRD today on Amazon. I cannot wait to receive it.

(P.S. My wife, after briefly reading what that book is about on Amazon.com, is now absolutely convinced that I am beyond hope. LOL)
What took her so long? We all knew you were beyond help er-ah hope years ago!
Old Thu Jul 21, 2011, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Have an Amazon Prime membership, and it ships 2-day for free all by itself.
Same here. If someone wants to buy a $15 gift card and send it to me, I'll gladly ship it to your address. You'll get it in two days -- for free!
Old Tue Jul 26, 2011, 06:55pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I had a bit of a head cold today, so I walked away from the computer and read the book (which arrived yesterday). Great read. I knew it would be, though.
Old Sat Jul 30, 2011, 04:58am
Official Forum Member

Just finished the book yesterday. Very entertaining. I don't agree with some of Carl's game management or mechanics, but the book was still a great read.

Does anyone have a contact email for Carl? He never responded to the one in BRD.
Old Sat Jul 30, 2011, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawetag View Post
Does anyone have a contact email for Carl? He never responded to the one in BRD.
[email protected]
Old Sun Jul 31, 2011, 08:29am
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawetag View Post
Just finished the book yesterday. Very entertaining. I don't agree with some of Carl's game management or mechanics, but the book was still a great read.

He'll reply. He probably got swamped w/ emails around BRD release time.
Old Sun Jul 31, 2011, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
He'll reply. He probably got swamped w/ emails around BRD release time.
Just had an email chat with him. The email address in the book is incorrect.
Old Sun Jul 31, 2011, 09:08am
Get away from me, Steve.

Game management techniques vary for someone who's just starting out versus a guy who's been umpiring longer than many coaches have been alive. Carl's first game was in 1954 -- think about how long ago that was. Amazing!
Old Sun Jul 31, 2011, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Game management techniques vary for someone who's just starting out versus a guy who's been umpiring longer than many coaches have been alive. Carl's first game was in 1954 -- think about how long ago that was. Amazing!
Certainly agreed. There are other factors in play as well. I will almost never question a man's ability to control a game -- as long as it works.