The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Thu Jul 14, 2011, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Post Calling All Umps! (new book)

Calling All Umps! Essays about: The Ugly, the Bad, and the Good by Carl Childress

168 pages, $15.00, Amazon.com

Here's the author's note.

You may know me from the days when I was the "Doing It" and "By the Rules" columnist for Referee magazine. Perhaps you read some of my stuff at Officiating.com: I'm both the editor and a contributing writer. You may even know me from the Gerry Davis e-newsletter, Sports Talk. Certainly you're familiar with my unique volume called Baseball Rules Differences or the BRD.

The book's subtitle reveals much about the content. My wife, who reads all my stuff, suggested there was a theme to this book. "Papa, I think ...."

You'll likely recognize we stole from the Sergio Leone film, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. We've reversed the categories because most the points I need to make deal with umpire mistakes. Some are egregious (the ugly), but some are easily preventable (the bad). You'll find me in both groups.

Along the way, I tip my hat to umpires whose work was just terrific (the good). I also lurk there from time to time.

I know this: Even if you don't agree with my suggestions or techniques, you'll be a better umpire by the time you've finished reading these essays.
-----------------

There's more information in a free announcement at Officiating.com. No login required.

My standard guarantee is in effect. Buy the book: If you don't like it, I'll personally refund your money - and you can keep the book.