The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 20, 2011, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry1953 View Post
True that. Rule 7.08(e) says the runner is out if he OR the base is tagged BEFORE he touches the base. It was confusing why Angel Hernandez did not signal out when Posada made a clear and distinct tag of first while looking at him. Things like "attained base", "relaxed action", "continuous action" are not mentioned in the rule book.
Does every posted legal speed sign say "if you get caught exceeding this speed limit in excess of a certain amount of mph (as determined by the local authorities), then you may receive a ticket, fine, etc."

Someday or one day, or if ever the world gets perfect, were just going to have to go back and rewrite everything so it is crystal clear for everyone. Then again everything will be perfect and everyone will know everything and we won't have to.

Sometimes you just have to umpire. You should try it first and quit being a pain in the arse because you have no life.
Old Wed Jul 20, 2011, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
True that. Rule 7.08(e) says the runner is out if he OR the base is tagged BEFORE he touches the base. It was confusing why Angel Hernandez did not signal out when Posada made a clear and distinct tag of first while looking at him. Things like "attained base", "relaxed action", "continuous action" are not mentioned in the rule book.
One cannot possibly hope to learn American law if one only studies constitutions, statutes and regulations. In fact, the majority of American law is learned from judicial cases (aka "case law") which interpret the statutes, constitutions, regulations, etc.

Likewise, if one only studies the rule book one is missing all of the interpretations (official and otherwise) of those rules found in the various umpire's manuals. (see major league baseball umpire's manual (MLBUM), PBUC Manual, J/R, JEA, etc.)
Old Wed Jul 20, 2011, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

So Angel Hernandez made the proper call when he did not signal the runner who had "attained" first base but had not touched it when Posada stepped on the bag? A literal reading of the rules says a runner can be retired that way by either the "force mechanic" or an appeal. But I get your point.
Old Wed Jul 20, 2011, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So Angel Hernandez made the proper call when he did not signal the runner who had "attained" first base but had not touched it when Posada stepped on the bag?
That is what is being debated on this and other internet boards. Someone on one of the boards posted an approved ruling from the MLBUM that I believe (but others disagree) covers this situation. Personally, as a result of reading that section of the MLBUM I have changed my initial opinion that "yes" is the correct answer to your question quoted above to "no".

However, my opinion did not change because of the rulebook, it changed because of the language from the MLBUM that was posted.
Old Wed Jul 20, 2011, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So Angel Hernandez made the proper call when he did not signal the runner who had "attained" first base but had not touched it when Posada stepped on the bag? A literal reading of the rules says a runner can be retired that way by either the "force mechanic" or an appeal. But I get your point.
I do not think signalling nothing was correct. I think he should have signalled "safe". I also think that *if* F3's actions were an appeal, he should have had an out then.

So, it's possible that he did it correctly (either the process has changed *or* what I (and others) read in MLBUM somehow doesn't apply -- and it has to do with some timing issue), or it's possible that he did it incorrectly. Some would say that given the umpire involved, one of those is more likley than the other.

Unless MLB comes out with something, or until another (nearly) identical play happens, we probably won't know.
Old Wed Jul 20, 2011, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I do not think signalling nothing was correct. I think he should have signalled "safe". I also think that *if* F3's actions were an appeal, he should have had an out then.

So, it's possible that he did it correctly (either the process has changed *or* what I (and others) read in MLBUM somehow doesn't apply -- and it has to do with some timing issue), or it's possible that he did it incorrectly. Some would say that given the umpire involved, one of those is more likley than the other.

Unless MLB comes out with something, or until another (nearly) identical play happens, we probably won't know.
Your last sentence is so true, and actually a bit of a shame. I fully understand why umpires don't want to be quizzed on their calls, but it would certainly be helpful. With all the games being televised with high scrutiny replay, MLB needs to understand, as you said, that some of these strange calls set a precedent. I don't think it would hurt for ESPN to have the chance to interview an umpire supervisor to ask some of these questions. Otherwise it is just high priests and tabernacles and secret knowledge.
Old Wed Jul 20, 2011, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

OK, really, I am not trying to be annoying (yeah, right) but here goes. I had proposed an R3 situation with 2 outs. I understand that, by rule the run would not have counted after all the confusion at first. However, the B/R could have made a break for 2B after AH failed to signal an out when Posada distinctly stepped on the bag (darn well knowing that he missed it, that would have been his only chance to stay alive). That probably would have made Posada throw down to second to get the out. If the third out was made at 2B, then I guess the run should count?? The Yankees would have then had to get a "fourth out" appeal at 1B to negate the run, right? Obviously that would not have been necessary if AH had signalled out with the tag of the bag - which he probably should have anyway.
Old Wed Jul 20, 2011, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Larry - ENOUGH ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Wed Jul 20, 2011, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

Fine, MLB won't let us in to the holy tabernacle and I can't present cases here. Please, by all means, get back to things that really matter like the merits of heather gray versus charcoal gray pants.
Old Wed Jul 20, 2011, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Fine, MLB won't let us in to the holy tabernacle and I can't present cases here. Please, by all means, get back to things that really matter like the merits of heather gray versus charcoal gray pants.
Right after you admit that maybe, just maybe, you aren't the rules expert you think you are.
Old Wed Jul 20, 2011, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
Larry - ENOUGH ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You need a bigger font.
Old Thu Jul 21, 2011, 01:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
OK, really, I am not trying to be annoying (yeah, right) but here goes. I had proposed an R3 situation with 2 outs. I understand that, by rule the run would not have counted after all the confusion at first. However, the B/R could have made a break for 2B after AH failed to signal an out when Posada distinctly stepped on the bag (darn well knowing that he missed it, that would have been his only chance to stay alive). That probably would have made Posada throw down to second to get the out. If the third out was made at 2B, then I guess the run should count?? The Yankees would have then had to get a "fourth out" appeal at 1B to negate the run, right? Obviously that would not have been necessary if AH had signalled out with the tag of the bag - which he probably should have anyway.
You are absolutely correct. You are right about everything. You have a phenomenal understanding of the rules and every possible situation that has occurred since 1889. No one can match your intellect or grasp of baseball rules, tradition and folklore. We are extremely blessed that you have come to this site to enlighten us. Thank you.

Happy?
Old Thu Jul 21, 2011, 06:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
When we post, we say what has to be said and move on. You, on the other hand, go on, and on, and on about nonsense and whimsical situations. No one says you have to leave, just answer a question and be done with it.
Old Thu Jul 21, 2011, 07:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's the same as every other missed base appeal. Couldn't be simpler and doesn't need much discussion.
Old Thu Jul 21, 2011, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) View Post
Rich,

I believe the "no call" mechanic was correct in this sitch because the throw took F3 off the base and there was, therefore, no tag of 1B to rule on.

Had the throw simply been late and F3 had kept his foot on the bag, then I believe the safe mechanic is called for.

JM
If the runner misses the bases you still need to give a signal to let him know if he beat the ball or not.. so in this video Angel should have given a safe as he beat the ball/ posada didnt touch the base... and there should have been a safe , off the bag mechanic... after this the defense can appeal the runner missing the base ( better do this before he reaches 1st)..but what can I say..LOL