The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 19, 2011, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

Is this obstruction?

Little League 10-12. Runner on second, two outs, score 4-3 in favor of our opponent, bottom of the sixth. Batter hits a clean single to left and, coaching third I wave the runner home since a weak hitter was coming up next. Unfortunately, the runner I sent home was your typical chunky catcher and pretty slow afoot. The left fielder made a perfect charging pickup and a great throw to the catcher on the fly about 10 feet up the line. The runner realized he was a dead duck and retreated back to third. The catcher threw a little high to the third baseman who was standing about 10 feet in front of third. He jumped up, the throw deflected off his glove back into LF, came down with both feet and a step later our runner collided with him and they both fell to the ground. Seeing the ball go down the line into LF, there was no stopping him now. He got up and "raced" to home. The whiz in LF fired off another perfect throw to the catcher who tagged him out, game over. I protested to the PU that my runner was obstructed and should be awarded home, tie game. The PU said, "There was no "interference" Coach, it was incidental contact. I explained that the word was "obstruction" and that it occurs when a player not in possession of the ball and not in the act of making a play makes contact with the runner. I said he was no longer "making a play" after the ball went past him and that the PU should call obstruction. He said, "Nope, game over". Was that the correct ruling?
Old Sun Jun 19, 2011, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

My reasoning was that in MLB, you see quite clearly that runners are taught to seek out contact with ANYONE standing around without the ball to instigate obstruction. It usually happens between third and home where I have seen nearly the entire infield in on the play except maybe the second baseman and even an occasional left fielder hones in on the action. The slightest contact such as the brushing of a jersey sleeve will cause the umps to proudly call obstruction and award the run. I thought the rule was the same for Little League.
Old Sun Jun 19, 2011, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry1953 View Post
The slightest contact such as the brushing of a jersey sleeve will cause the umps to proudly call obstruction and award the run.
Reference, please.

Quote:
I thought the rule was the same for Little League.
While I don't do LL, I beleive this part of the rule to be the same. That doesn't mean your play was OBS.
Old Sun Jun 19, 2011, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Reference, please.

While I don't do LL, I beleive this part of the rule to be the same. That doesn't mean your play was OBS.
Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | LAD@SD: Cabrera is awarded home on interference call - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

I can't see the video via my iPhone but the description on another web-board makes it kind of sound like the play I described except for the leg-lock by the fielder.

As for the "brushing" reference you asked for, I haven't found it just yet. But within the past two weeks I saw a MLB game where the runner got in a rundown between third and home. Going back to third, the runner diverted his path about a foot toward the infield so as to brush against the pitcher who happened to be there. It was high-fives in the dugout all around for the savvy runner and the announcers described how the runner did exactly as he was taught. I'm pretty sure it was a FOX national game.
Old Sun Jun 19, 2011, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

St. Louis Cardinals vs. Colorado Rockies - May 28, 2011 - Box Score - MLB - Sporting News

It was the May 28 game St Louis at Rockies. If you have MLB.tv there is not a specific highlight, but you can see it at about 7:20 in the condensed game format. It is pretty much exactly as I described. The amount of contact would not have awakened a sleeping baby.
Old Sun Jun 19, 2011, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

It is at 2:23 in the full game version with Helton batting in the bottom of the 4th if you want to FOX broadcast version
Old Sun Jun 19, 2011, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Little League 10-12. Runner on second, two outs, score 4-3 in favor of our opponent, bottom of the sixth. Batter hits a clean single to left and, coaching third I wave the runner home since a weak hitter was coming up next. Unfortunately, the runner I sent home was your typical chunky catcher and pretty slow afoot. The left fielder made a perfect charging pickup and a great throw to the catcher on the fly about 10 feet up the line. The runner realized he was a dead duck and retreated back to third. The catcher threw a little high to the third baseman who was standing about 10 feet in front of third. He jumped up, the throw deflected off his glove back into LF, came down with both feet and a step later our runner collided with him and they both fell to the ground. Seeing the ball go down the line into LF, there was no stopping him now. He got up and "raced" to home. The whiz in LF fired off another perfect throw to the catcher who tagged him out, game over. I protested to the PU that my runner was obstructed and should be awarded home, tie game. The PU said, "There was no "interference" Coach, it was incidental contact. I explained that the word was "obstruction" and that it occurs when a player not in possession of the ball and not in the act of making a play makes contact with the runner. I said he was no longer "making a play" after the ball went past him and that the PU should call obstruction. He said, "Nope, game over". Was that the correct ruling?
You don't need contact for obstruction. A player can be obstructed without contact. An example would be the rundown I called last week. The runner was headed back to first. The first baseman was in between the runner and the base without the ball. The runner stopped. At that point I decided the runner had been obstructed, called time and awarded second base.

Contact doesn't mean there is obstruction either. It could be incidental contact. Given the situation you described, I might consider it to be obstruction. But I would have to see it.

So remember that obstruction is a judgment call. One umpire's judgment is not going to be the same as another.

Rita
Old Sun Jun 19, 2011, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

Rita, it is hard to respect the "judgment" of an umpire who does not know the distinction in using the words "interference" and "obstruction". I painted as clear a word picture that I could. It was a rundown play between third and home and the 3B, having completed his play and not in possession of the ball kept my runner from getting back to third. Watch the St Louis/Colorado play to see how minor and incidental the contact was to constitute a call of obstruction in MLB play. Like I said, I have seem numerous times where the slightest amount of contact is all that is needed to "justify" the call of obstruction at that level of play.
Old Sun Jun 19, 2011, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Obstruction - Youth Baseball Knowledge Base

OBSTRUCTION is the act of a fielder who, while not in possession of the ball and not in the act of fielding the ball, impedes the progress of any runner.

If a fielder is about to receive a thrown ball and if the ball is in flight directly toward and near enough to the fielder so he must occupy his position to receive the ball he may be considered "in the act of fielding a ball." It is entirely up to the judgment of the umpire as to whether a fielder is in the act of fielding a ball. After a fielder has made an attempt to field a ball and missed, he can no longer be in the "act of fielding" the ball. For example: an infielder dives at a ground ball and the ball passes him and he continues to lie on the ground and delays the progress of the runner, he very likely has obstructed the runner."

I find it rather disingenuous when an umpire like the one in our game concocts a bogus "judgment" angle to hide their ignorance of the rules and the numerous commentaries that aid in their practical application.
Old Sun Jun 19, 2011, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Obstruction - Youth Baseball Knowledge Base

OBSTRUCTION is the act of a fielder who, while not in possession of the ball and not in the act of fielding the ball, impedes the progress of any runner.

If a fielder is about to receive a thrown ball and if the ball is in flight directly toward and near enough to the fielder so he must occupy his position to receive the ball he may be considered "in the act of fielding a ball." It is entirely up to the judgment of the umpire as to whether a fielder is in the act of fielding a ball. After a fielder has made an attempt to field a ball and missed, he can no longer be in the "act of fielding" the ball. For example: an infielder dives at a ground ball and the ball passes him and he continues to lie on the ground and delays the progress of the runner, he very likely has obstructed the runner."

I find it rather disingenuous when an umpire like the one in our game concocts a bogus "judgment" angle to hide their ignorance of the rules and the numerous commentaries that aid in their practical application.
1) LL doesn't have the "in the act of fielding" in its rule.

2) There is not instantaneous relief for the runner. The quote you posted refers to a fielder who "continues" to lie on the ground - i..e makes no effort to get out of the way. Whie he'd better do it quickly he just can't go poof.

3) You're just pissed because the umpire didn't call it and your team lost a run and thus the game. If you'd been the winning coach would you be here ranting? I think not.
Old Sun Jun 19, 2011, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Its LL. While we all wish the umpire could get terminology right on interference vs. obstruction, the truth is you tend to get what you get at that level. Some guys may be very good, respected officials in the area who just enjoy working that level. Others may be new and inexperienced. Still, others may have been around for a while and had intentions of working their way up, but never did. Others may be working it cause they enjoy the kids, the game, and baseball (especially if they are volunteering in your area).

The world we live in is not perfect. It's youth recreational sports. If you are coming on here to rant and rave about a ruling that ended a game because it affected the outcome, maybe you should consider if you are the best suited candidate for the position you are in and why you are coaching that level in the first place. The kids went and had ice cream either way and had a fun game, I can promise you that.

That's my 2 cents.
Old Mon Jun 20, 2011, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
1) LL doesn't have the "in the act of fielding" in its rule.

2) There is not instantaneous relief for the runner. The quote you posted refers to a fielder who "continues" to lie on the ground - i..e makes no effort to get out of the way. Whie he'd better do it quickly he just can't go poof.

3) You're just pissed because the umpire didn't call it and your team lost a run and thus the game. If you'd been the winning coach would you be here ranting? I think not.
Sorry Rich. I pulled the quote straight from a Youth League website. Your comment is in direct contradiction to numerous case commentaries but I guess they are wrong too.

The game in question was over 15 years ago. It didn't matter to me what the outcome of the game was, just the abysmal ignorance of the umpire who had no idea of the nuances of the obstruction rule. EVERY casebook commentary says that once the ball has gone past the fielder he can no longer be considered in the act of fielding and the fielder has VERY LIKELY obstructed the runner. That is EXACTLY what happened in that long ago game but apparently very few umpires let something like - you know - plain English come in the way of their infallible judgment.
Old Mon Jun 20, 2011, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

Look guys, I am not trying to be insulting to you and there is no reason to be insulting to me. I volunteered for about 8 years to manage or help coach my two sons in youth ball. Winning was a goal - sure - why keep score if it is not. But my primary goal was to teach the kids the fundamentals: how to throw the ball, hit the ball, catch the ball and know the rules. None of the kids I coached ever went pro, but I hope they can go to a ballgame and appreciate it more because of what I taught them. I hope that when they are called down from the stands to umpire a game for their kids that they will have a better understanding of the rules than the high school kids we got. Passing along the game of baseball to the next generation borders on a sacred duty, or at least it used to be. And it bugged me no end to hear a high school baseball player umpiring our games say non-sense like "the ground can't cause a fumble" when the ball popped out after a diving catch or to get a deer-in-headlights look when I said the word obstruction.
Old Mon Jun 20, 2011, 12:54am
Official Forum Member

(Posts Per Day: 26.77)

Last edited by MrUmpire; Mon Jun 20, 2011 at 01:14am.
Old Mon Jun 20, 2011, 06:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Look guys, I am not trying to be insulting to you and there is no reason to be insulting to me. I volunteered for about 8 years to manage or help coach my two sons in youth ball. Winning was a goal - sure - why keep score if it is not. But my primary goal was to teach the kids the fundamentals: how to throw the ball, hit the ball, catch the ball and know the rules. None of the kids I coached ever went pro, but I hope they can go to a ballgame and appreciate it more because of what I taught them. I hope that when they are called down from the stands to umpire a game for their kids that they will have a better understanding of the rules than the high school kids we got. Passing along the game of baseball to the next generation borders on a sacred duty, or at least it used to be. And it bugged me no end to hear a high school baseball player umpiring our games say non-sense like "the ground can't cause a fumble" when the ball popped out after a diving catch or to get a deer-in-headlights look when I said the word obstruction.
How about this - in your original scenario, F5 jumped up for the ball and it glances off his glove. F5 comes down and your runner runs into him. Both players were doing what they were supposed to be doing, therefore it's a simple collision (ala Fisk/Arbruster play). If F5 were just standing there doing nothing, that would probably be different.

Last edited by ozzy6900; Mon Jun 20, 2011 at 06:53am.