Originally Posted by Larry1953 View Post
W I am not an ump...
It goes without saying.
Old Sun Jun 19, 2011, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
It goes without saying.
So what is your solution, MRUMPIRE? More BS like the Texas-ASU fiasco?
Old Mon Jun 20, 2011, 12:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry1953 View Post
So what is your solution, MRUMPIRE? More BS like the Texas-ASU fiasco?
Oh, my heavens, no. Your suggestion is absolutely, without question, the best ever. Why don't you take it to the NCAA MLB Rules Committees and get that changed right away. Be sure to let us know how it goes.

Old Mon Jun 20, 2011, 01:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
Oh, my heavens, no. Your suggestion is absolutely, without question, the best ever. Why don't you take it to the NCAA MLB Rules Committees and get that changed right away. Be sure to let us know how it goes.

MRUMPIRE, I wouldn't be so presumptuous. Much better to let Auggie and the infallible PUngo there and codify the "interference supersedes the walk rule with lettered subsections that includes its enforcement even if the PU forgets the count and negates the rule that a runner has to do something INTENTIONAL to have interference called on him. Oh, and don't forget another subsection that says the PU should be able to strut his stuff and infallie judgment to be able to make an interference call BEFORE he decides whether the pitch was a ball or strike. Something like THAT would surely solve the problem for all time.
Old Mon Jun 20, 2011, 05:23am
Official Forum Member

@Durham

I have come to the conclusion that the commons sense and fair play ruling would be to ignore the "interference," but return R1 to second. In essence, treat this interference similar to back swing interference in the sense that we are not going to get an out, but we will not allow runners to advance.
Old Mon Jun 20, 2011, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

I had alluded to the same thing, Tony. As I mentioned earlier, Jaksa/Roder has some examples of what they term "interference without a play." In the situation at hand, this would mean no out recorded, but R1 is returned to second.
Old Mon Jun 20, 2011, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25 View Post
I had alluded to the same thing, Tony. As I mentioned earlier, Jaksa/Roder has some examples of what they term "interference without a play." In the situation at hand, this would mean no out recorded, but R1 is returned to second.
That would be similar to the AR where batter strikes out on D3K with first occpied, starts to run and inadvartantly contacts the ball. The batter is out, ball is dead, runners cannot advance (unless they were stealing on the pitch, iirc).

That seems like a good, fair, rule, but I think it's farther afield given the current rule wording. That is, I wouldn't be surprised to see this CHANGED for next year (or whenever the rules cycle is).