The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 07, 2011, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Around here, almost every umpire I have worked with waits until I have changed from my plate gear and am ready to drive away. I return the favor. It's a good time to post game, discuss upcoming schedules and rule/policy changes. Especially after a tough game, I enjoy the time to cool the jets and learn something about my partners.
Old Wed Jun 08, 2011, 03:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangel View Post
If my partner had a bad game, I wouldnt have a problem asking the assignor to switch the positions on Arbiter so I'm not hit with a coaches bad rating...
How nice of you.
Old Wed Jun 08, 2011, 05:17am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawetag View Post
How nice of you.
I'm with him. If I'm listed wrong on Arbiter, I'd want it fixed. Period. Fortunately, I get to choose who I work with and we sign the books here, so there's little confusion. Besides, after a decade here, most coaches know me well enough that I don't have to worry about it.
Old Wed Jun 08, 2011, 07:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I'm with him. If I'm listed wrong on Arbiter, I'd want it fixed. Period. Fortunately, I get to choose who I work with and we sign the books here, so there's little confusion. Besides, after a decade here, most coaches know me well enough that I don't have to worry about it.
Yes, Rich, but this is what he said: "If my partner had a bad game..."

I would hope we'd call and have it changed regardless of the quality of our partner's game.

In addition, if it's changed and he becomes the PU then has a bad game on the dish, does he call and get it changed in Arbiter? Or does he just let his partner get the hit for that, too?
Old Thu Jun 09, 2011, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I just don't see why someone would fly out of the parking lot -- it only takes a plate guy 5-10 minutes to get undressed and put things away. I'm just not comfortable leaving a partner alone while changing -- you never know what idiot will come along and it's nice to have numbers.

Hey, to each their own.
Agree, I have never left a partner until I know his car/truck started and is moving. We will discuss whatever needs discussing and I might start my engine first and move from parking spot, but I am not leaving the parking lot until I see his vehicle moving.
Old Thu Jun 09, 2011, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
Old term from the 70's. When a coach got a reputation for being a real a$$ or bully and would take it out on newer or younger members that didn't know how to handle him, the assigner would send an older experience crew to work his games and put him on a very short leash, dumping him at the first provocation.

Elephant hunting in many areas has been replaced with better training of newer umpires.
Or the technique has been refined as a part of the "better training of newer umpires". Don't send a full crew of "hunters" - send ONE, along w/ one of the folks getting beat up, to model the desired game management techniques [and to step in and squelch the offending rat if necessary]. Thus the "purpose assignment".

Kinda hard to "train" someone to deal with stuff without them having ever seen it in person - like training a plate umpire without ever seeing live pitching.
Old Sat Jun 11, 2011, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

where I work, it's usually assigned but there are times where I'll adjust with my partner. One case, I had the plate, apparently he just had knee surgery and wasn't really able to run around on the bases, so I agreed to let him take the plate and I would do my best to cover all the bases and let him stay at the plate the entire game. Another time, I was scheduled for bases, partner shows up without a mask, and it's 95 degrees, I'm not letting someone else sweat into my mask, so I worked the plate.

another time at a tournament, we were running behind and we were trying to finish the games before darkness hit, so we just worked it out that whoever was dressed in plate gear would stay on the plate the rest of the day (one game would start just minutes after the last out of the previous one, the teams were ready to sprint onto the field quickly).

important thing is that you get along with your partner and have a good game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
Around here, almost every umpire I have worked with waits until I have changed from my plate gear and am ready to drive away. I return the favor. It's a good time to post game, discuss upcoming schedules and rule/policy changes. Especially after a tough game, I enjoy the time to cool the jets and learn something about my partners.
isn't this just common courtesy between umpires?

Last edited by bniu; Sat Jun 11, 2011 at 01:13am.
Old Sat Jun 11, 2011, 03:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bniu View Post
isn't this just common courtesy between umpires?
I think it's common courtesy in general. If you go out to eat with friends, you don't run out after paying the bill, saying "See you later!" as you leave.
Old Sat Jun 11, 2011, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Rat trapping?
One of the two games I have ever worked that ended in forfeit was 4 or 5 years ago. I was assigned the plate and was working with an experienced partner in a 16-17 year old summer game. Game ended after I tossed the HC, the pitcher (his son), the third baseman and a someone else who ran up behind me screaming. I have no idea what position he played, I just knew he wasn't where he needed to be. The game ended due to no asst coach to take over, and lack of enough players to continue.

My partner called the assigner on his cell phone to explain what happened, and partner was told that he had been warned that this coach and team were hot heads, beware. Assignor looked at the assignment for this team's next game, and decided not to even mention it to us, said he knew either one of us would take care of business if needed.
Old Tue Jun 14, 2011, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

In my previous Association it showed up on Arbiter with someone assigned plate and someone field. The decision for who did what came 24-48 hours prior as we were required to contact our partner within that time frame. We also were required to be at field at least 45 minutes prior to game time. Anyone found not following these rules were "fined" accordingly (there were extreme circumstances that were taken into consideration). It's amazing how many made sure to follow these rules once money was taken out of their checks... Really had very little problems outside what has already been mentioned (some not wanting to do the dish....). Be interested to see if any other Association issues fines?
Old Tue Jun 14, 2011, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastordoug View Post
In my previous Association it showed up on Arbiter with someone assigned plate and someone field. The decision for who did what came 24-48 hours prior as we were required to contact our partner within that time frame.
So Arbiter assigned you PU or BU, but you changed it when you talked to your partner? Not that I'm against it, but did you notify your association when this happened? I'm sure they used these assignments in case an issue came forward from the game (i.e., a coach complaint on the BU).
Old Wed Jun 15, 2011, 01:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think it's common courtesy in general. If you go out to eat with friends, you don't run out after paying the bill, saying "See you later!" as you leave.
Of course not. Common sense says you do that before you pay the bill.
Old Wed Jun 15, 2011, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

"So Arbiter assigned you PU or BU, but you changed it when you talked to your partner?"

That's correct... You already know who is at the game if there is a problem and with that Association we had a system that ranked ups from 6-1. You had to be a 4 to earn numbers and if a problem arose the coaches would take down the number and report it. System worked very well.
Old Wed Jun 15, 2011, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes, Rich, but this is what he said: "If my partner had a bad game..."

I would hope we'd call and have it changed regardless of the quality of our partner's game.

In addition, if it's changed and he becomes the PU then has a bad game on the dish, does he call and get it changed in Arbiter? Or does he just let his partner get the hit for that, too?
Yawetag is correct. I re-read my post and I came across as smug, which wasnt my intent. I should've said "if one of us has a bad game".

Since changing positions before a varsity game rarely happens to me, I've contacted the assignor each time(maybe 3 times in 10 yrs including 1 this season), and would never saddle a partner with a potential bad rating due to my game (plus a smart partner would also contact the assignor). Playoff games are nice, but dont compare to my (alleged ) rep with my peers....
Old Wed Jun 15, 2011, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawump View Post
That's the way it is done in central SC in high school and American Legion. We even assign a crew chief for each game. That crew chief may or may not be the plate umpire. The crew chief is almost always the more/most experienced umpire.
Same way in the Upstate of SC...