View Single Post
Old Sat Jun 11, 2011, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

where I work, it's usually assigned but there are times where I'll adjust with my partner. One case, I had the plate, apparently he just had knee surgery and wasn't really able to run around on the bases, so I agreed to let him take the plate and I would do my best to cover all the bases and let him stay at the plate the entire game. Another time, I was scheduled for bases, partner shows up without a mask, and it's 95 degrees, I'm not letting someone else sweat into my mask, so I worked the plate.

another time at a tournament, we were running behind and we were trying to finish the games before darkness hit, so we just worked it out that whoever was dressed in plate gear would stay on the plate the rest of the day (one game would start just minutes after the last out of the previous one, the teams were ready to sprint onto the field quickly).

important thing is that you get along with your partner and have a good game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
Around here, almost every umpire I have worked with waits until I have changed from my plate gear and am ready to drive away. I return the favor. It's a good time to post game, discuss upcoming schedules and rule/policy changes. Especially after a tough game, I enjoy the time to cool the jets and learn something about my partners.
isn't this just common courtesy between umpires?

Last edited by bniu; Sat Jun 11, 2011 at 01:13am.