The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

OBS at the plate

The opposing catcher kept standing on the front of home plate waiting for the ball as our runners tried to touch home. This is obstruction, but when I asked young ump about it, she said "just run her over". A senior ump watching in the stands told me our players could be ejected for doing that. What should I have told our players and this young ump?
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down Re: OBS at the plate

You tell them all that this OBS rule is taking away from the game, and that there is no clear call. It is a "judgement call." Some parents were yelling, "just let the girls play traditional softball!" Kiss traditional softball down the drain!! I am wondering why I keep hearing from umps, "you will never get that call." What is that all about?? If it's in the rule book, then why no call??
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richez
The opposing catcher kept standing on the front of home plate waiting for the ball as our runners tried to touch home. This is obstruction, but when I asked young ump about it, she said "just run her over". A senior ump watching in the stands told me our players could be ejected for doing that. What should I have told our players and this young ump?
No, that by itself is NOT obstruction. Catcher can stand wherever s/he pleases as long as s/he does not impede the runner while not in possession of the ball or fielding a batted ball.

That said, the umpire is an idiot. Hope she doesn't have a husband and a home because she can lose both in court giving out advice like that.

The senior umpire in the stands, who shouldn't even be opening his/her mouth, is correct.
Old Fri May 12, 2006, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Obs

I could have been clearer. Players coming home couldn't touch home plate because catcher was standing on it. Should the ump not say something when the player has to go around to the back of home plate behind the catcher to touch it? Senior ump in stands is a friend, who was just making a comment to me to help me out. If his suggestion helps our player not get ejected, then good on him. Thank-you.

Last edited by richez; Fri May 12, 2006 at 08:21am.
Old Fri May 12, 2006, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
I could have been clearer. Players coming home couldn't touch home plate because catcher was standing on it. Should the ump not say something when the player has to go around to the back of home plate behind the catcher to touch it. Senior ump in stands is a friend, who was just making a comment to me to help me out. If his suggestion helps our player not get ejected, then good on him. Thank-you.
Second sentence = OBS if not in possession of the ball. What the ump should say is "obstruction", but there is no effect unless there is an apparent putout.
Old Fri May 12, 2006, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

As Irish mentioned it is not OBS until the runner reacts to the catchers presence, thus it impedes her travel around the bases. Sounds like, solely based on your defination that it was hindering your runners as they were struggling to get a toe to touch the plate. At that point PU should raise left arm with fist clinched (delayed dead ball signal) to signify that they are calling OBS, some will verbally say "obstruction" while doing this. Now preventive umpiring would be to tell catcher that they are obstructing the runner by standing on the plate without the ball, maybe even a little talk with the coach (this depends on the level of the team in question), this is an accident waiting to happen, some crashes into F2 could get ejected but also could knock F2 out of the game. Even more likely runner makes a hard, legal slide and takes F2 out, thinking the ball must be close or she wouldn't be standing on the plate......F2 injured runner safe not a good day at the park for the catcher.

And what Irish is pointing out about the spectator umpire is the fact that those of us that are known as umpires try VERY hard to not comment on game plays during that play. Or if we do we make sure that we comment on how the umpire could have ruled like they did. "He/she must have judged that....." by being an umpire and disagreeing with a call during a game only gives unruly fans ammo to yell at the umpires with and that doesn't do anyone any good!! It is amazing how calm someone can ask you a question and then turn around and be the biggest jerk yelling at the umpires on the field!! So in general terms I agree with Irish it is best for specators to remain specators even if they have blue in their veins (or even on their backs {dressed for the next game}). However, I do agree with you that reminding a coach of a rule that could get their players ejected if they don't follow, and to me more importantly could lead to an injury is acceptable!!
Old Fri May 12, 2006, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What should I have told our players and this young ump?
Tell your kids to slide or step around the catcher. If possible, have your on deck batters give guidance to your runners whether they should slide or not. If your kids stay up and make contact, which in the umpire's judgement is malicious, Blues will eject your runner for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Tell the young ump the idea behind the obstruction rule is to reduce contact and make the game safer. Suggest to her that she should move over to baseball.
Old Fri May 12, 2006, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

someone should "just run over" young ump for giving this advice.

My DD has caught for years and has been coached to not block the plate without the ball (or with the ball if she can make a clean tag). However, there are times when she must get in the baseline for the catch. It's a dangerous situation and should be treated as such. Runners should be coached to avoid contact, or slide, not to run over the catcher.

In my opinion, malicious contact is not called often enough, nor is obstruction when catchers are taught to block the plate.

Priority for both coaches and umpires should be protecting the players.
Old Fri May 12, 2006, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ran.D

Priority for both coaches and umpires should be protecting the players.
Priority is for the coaches to instruct their players how to play their respective position in a safe, but effective manner within the parameters of the rules.

The umpire's priority is to officiate the game in accordance to the rules and apply them as necessary in the manner in which they have been instructed in the clinics and schools attended.

If both do their jobs properly, the players will be as safe as the game allows.