The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 24, 2011, 07:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
The expected call debate is one that always causes some sore feelings. For example, the curve ball that crosses above the knees and finishes just above the dirt. I know some who will advocate that it will always be a ball in their games because no one wants to see that pitch called a strike, nor expects it. A few brave souls will say it doesn't matter, it's a strike and they aren't there to appease fans and coaches or achieve higher ratings by ignoring the tough call.
good point and of course, all of this depends on the level of ball that you are calling also. "small ball" get every strike and out you can - players that shave and up, its a whole different approach that takes lots of time to develop.

Thanks
David
Old Tue May 24, 2011, 07:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
I think what he is referring to is what Carl used to call "making the unexpected call" on routine plays. IOW, runner is out by three steps, ball is put down and player slides in he's out. But if runner does something different like a hook slide or other superb play, then call it as is.

As far as the OP, I would ignore the advice of the so-called veteran. If its obvious that he's out or safe make the call.

Thnaks
David
Agreed. And, "the expected call" assumes that the tag is down, and in front of the base, and the runner somehow just misses the glove (head first, hands on either side; feet first just sliodes by the glove). Here, you probably get the out.

But, both actors have to play their role to get this call. And, in the OP, the defense did not play the role properly.

It's all part of the art (as opposed to science) of umpiring, and the art will be practiced differently at different levels and in differnent locations.
Old Tue May 24, 2011, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
The expected call debate is one that always causes some sore feelings. For example, the curve ball that crosses above the knees and finishes just above the dirt. I know some who will advocate that it will always be a ball in their games because no one wants to see that pitch called a strike, nor expects it. A few brave souls will say it doesn't matter, it's a strike and they aren't there to appease fans and coaches or achieve higher ratings by ignoring the tough call.
It is not applicable to all levels of play. If your day job is Umpiring and you CAN'T, quit it. Then you will call the "expected call" your supervisor tells you too. Else you have a lot more time on your hands to discuss baseball on the Forum.
Old Tue May 24, 2011, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

Mike & Dave, both excellent points. Level and quality of play are huge factors and my own personal experience has been that as I advanced in ball I had to develop a feel for what the parameters were regarding this kind of call. "Ball there, glove there" is usually expected where I call if the play is routine.

But where's the line? As Dave said that's a development thing. Just this season I had a steal of third by R2. Ball was there but F5 was asleep and late. But from the first base defensive dugout I'm sure it looked out - I called safe. So I got a face full of "the ball was there" from the defensive HC. But you know what? In the seventh inning he came out and apologized; he talked to his F5 who admitted he was late. Of course, my partner after the game said "just call him out anyway, the ball was there..."

TV of course is changing all this and that is a whole different discussion we could have.
Old Tue May 24, 2011, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
good point and of course, all of this depends on the level of ball that you are calling also. "small ball" get every strike and out you can - players that shave and up, its a whole different approach that takes lots of time to develop.

Thanks
David
Amen to that! My son plays 11U travel and he doesn't understand why strikes are called at the eyes or when the catcher has to dive to catch an outside pitch. At least he knows that as a player the umpire's call isn't worth arguing.

I am still amazed at how many times I see a varsity coach whine that the ball beat the runner on a tag play so he has to be out. "It's not a force, skipper." is my usual reply. I don't see much of that in collegiate ball around here because those guys know the plays will almost always be closer and better. Make the call and don't worry about appeasing those who expect a certain outcome. That is rating's pandering.