The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 22, 2011, 07:12pm
Administrator

Pitcher re-entering the game.

This situation happened in a JV game yesterday that MTD, Jr., and I had. I would like rulings using NFHS, NCAA, and MLB/OBR rule sets.

SITUATION: #22/Able (Visitors), starts at F5 in the 7th spot in the batting order. In the bottom of the 5th inning, #22/Able switches position with #10/Baker and becomes the new F1 and takes 8 warm-up pitches. In the top of the 6th inning, #22/Able comes up to bat and gets on base. At this point the V-HC decides to Pinch Run (that's right, Pinch Run, not use a Courtsey Runner for F1) and #14/Charlie comes in to Pinch Run for #22/Able. At the start of the bottom of the 6th inning, #22/Able re-enters the game for #14/Charlie. In our game #22/Able only used 5 warm-up pitches when he re-entered the game but would the rules allowed him to have 8 warm-up pitches when he re-entered the game (keeping in mind that he was still the pitcher of record while #14/Charlie was in the game even though he was no longer in the game)?

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun May 22, 2011, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
This situation happened in a JV game yesterday that MTD, Jr., and I had. I would like rulings using NFHS, NCAA, and MLB/OBR rule sets.

SITUATION: #22/Able (Visitors), starts at F5 in the 7th spot in the batting order. In the bottom of the 5th inning, #22/Able switches position with #10/Baker and becomes the new F1 and takes 8 warm-up pitches. In the top of the 6th inning, #22/Able comes up to bat and gets on base. At this point the V-HC decides to Pinch Run (that's right, Pinch Run, not use a Courtsey Runner for F1) and #14/Charlie comes in to Pinch Run for #22/Able. At the start of the bottom of the 6th inning, #22/Able re-enters the game for #14/Charlie. In our game #22/Able only used 5 warm-up pitches when he re-entered the game but would the rules allowed him to have 8 warm-up pitches when he re-entered the game (keeping in mind that he was still the pitcher of record while #14/Charlie was in the game even though he was no longer in the game)?

MTD, Sr.
NCAA and MLB/OBR he can't re-enter once removed for the PR so it's moot.
Old Sun May 22, 2011, 07:22pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

MTD, Sr.
The coach is brain dead for not using #14 as a courtesy runner, unless of course #14 was already used as a courtesy runner for the catcher earlier in the game.

I'd give the pitcher 5 pitches. If pressed, I'd use the same reasoning you did, but I'm guessing it wouldn't come to that.
Old Sun May 22, 2011, 07:28pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
The coach is brain dead for not using #14 as a courtesy runner, unless of course #14 was already used as a courtesy runner for the catcher earlier in the game.

I'd give the pitcher 5 pitches. If pressed, I'd use the same reasoning you did, but I'm guessing it wouldn't come to that.

Rich:

The decision never was made by Junior (he was the PU for his "Old Man") because #14 was ready to go after just 5 pitches, but we were discussing the play over lemonade and pizza after the game.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun May 22, 2011, 07:33pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Rich:

The decision never was made by Junior (he was the PU for his "Old Man") because #14 was ready to go after just 5 pitches, but we were discussing the play over lemonade and pizza after the game.

MTD, Sr.
Lemonade? Is that code?
Old Sun May 22, 2011, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

Would the new pitcher, whomever that may be, need to pitch to one batter before Able could re-enter to pitch? And then, wouldn't he be allowed 8 pitches if he wanted them?
Old Sun May 22, 2011, 09:38pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Would you make a big deal over three pitches?
Old Sun May 22, 2011, 09:38pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Would the new pitcher, whomever that may be, need to pitch to one batter before Able could re-enter to pitch? And then, wouldn't he be allowed 8 pitches if he wanted them?
In NFHS baseball? There is no new pitcher ever in the game. #14 is a PR and #22 simply re-enters.
Old Sun May 22, 2011, 09:39pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
Would you make a big deal over three pitches?
Of course not. I wouldn't have to, though because the catcher would throw the fifth one down on his own.
Old Sun May 22, 2011, 11:19pm
Veteran College Umpire

Any pitcher entering (or re-entering) the game - or the position - is entitled to 8 warmup pitches, unless he chooses not to take that many. If a coach switches his pitcher with another position player for one batter and then switches them back, the re-entering pitcher is entitled to 8 warmups, because he's now technically a relief pitcher (even though he may have "started" the game at that position).
Isn't it a great game?

JJ
Old Sun May 22, 2011, 11:40pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
Any pitcher entering (or re-entering) the game - or the position - is entitled to 8 warmup pitches, unless he chooses not to take that many. If a coach switches his pitcher with another position player for one batter and then switches them back, the re-entering pitcher is entitled to 8 warmups, because he's now technically a relief pitcher (even though he may have "started" the game at that position).
Isn't it a great game?

JJ
None of what you wrote is in dispute. No pitcher ever replaced the starter in the original situation.
Old Mon May 23, 2011, 07:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
(keeping in mind that he was still the pitcher of record
6-2-2C Excp "When a pitcher is replaced ... the relief pitcher may not use more than eight throws.'

No replacement, 5 throws.