The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 17, 2011, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Starting Pitcher Replaced Returns

Situation. FED.

Starting F1 and F2 swap on 1st trip by HC in 2nd inning. After one batter they swap back on 2nd trip (neither one counted as conference since change made). Clearly a LH/RH situation going on here. After one batter they swap again on 3rd trip. I believe they can since a pitcher can return to pitch but only once in an inning. Now, is sub pitcher F1 treated the same and he can come back too? I see no distinction between starter and sub in 3-1-2, just says "A player." Can they do this again in a future inning? I know a pitcher, any pitcher, after removal after 3 trips can not return, but I can't find an interp to prevent defense from doing this in any inning as long as HC has trips left.

Last edited by DG; Tue May 17, 2011 at 06:14pm.
Old Tue May 17, 2011, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Situation. FED.

Starting F1 and F2 swap on 1st trip by HC in 2nd inning. After one batter they swap back on 2nd trip (neither one counted as conference since change made). Clearly a LH/RH situation going on here. After one batter they swap again on 3rd trip. I believe they can since a pitcher can return to pitch but only once in an inning. Now, is sub pitcher F1 treated the same and he can come back too? I see no distinction between starter and sub in 3-1-2, just says "A player." Can they do this again in a future inning? I know a pitcher, any pitcher, after removal after 3 trips can not return, but I can't find an interp to prevent defense from doing this in any inning as long as HC has trips left.
That's correct. F1 and F2 could switch 3 times in an inning and remain legal. The fourth switch in one inning would be illegal per 3-1-2:
A player may be removed as pitcher and returned as pitcher only once per inning,
provided the return as pitcher does not violate either the pitching, substitution or
charged conference rule.
A sub would be no different: this rule concerns the pitcher, whether a starter or a sub.
Old Tue May 17, 2011, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
That's correct. F1 and F2 could switch 3 times in an inning and remain legal. The fourth switch in one inning would be illegal per 3-1-2:
A player may be removed as pitcher and returned as pitcher only once per inning,
provided the return as pitcher does not violate either the pitching, substitution or
charged conference rule.
A sub would be no different: this rule concerns the pitcher, whether a starter or a sub.
What about a future inning? I see no interp to prevent it happen again. Original F1 could come out to pitch next inning and they do it again?

Last edited by DG; Tue May 17, 2011 at 06:33pm.
Old Tue May 17, 2011, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
What about a future inning? I see no interp to prevent it happen again. Original F1 could come out to pitch next inning and they do it again?
Fed and OBR. Every inning after that the same scenario can be repeated.
Old Tue May 17, 2011, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

How many warm-up pitches does each pitcher get in each situation?

What is the penalty, if any, if he exceeds them?

Do you get somebody out of the dugout to warm up the "new" pitcher, or do you wait until they finish switching gear?

In an NCAA game, when do you "start the clock"?

Day game or night game?

JM
Old Tue May 17, 2011, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

Can't return.

Out of the dugout.

After the 8 pitches.
Old Tue May 17, 2011, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

bob,

Sounds good to me, day game or night game.

Who, exactly, may not return? The guy who threw too many, or the guy he replaced?

JM
Old Tue May 17, 2011, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

"What is the penalty if he exceeds them."

Injured or incapacitated pitcher can't return if his replacement REQUIRES more than 8 pitches.
If a normal pitcher's replacement takes more pitches than 8 I think you are suppose to authorize them. If you do authorize is the penalty no reentry of the replaced F1? What you do if he just keeps throwing I don't know. The few times this happened I told the opposing coach the leaving pitcher was burned as a pitcher. That satisfied them but there is a little ambiguity in this FED sit.

Last edited by umpjim; Tue May 17, 2011 at 09:22pm.
Old Wed May 18, 2011, 07:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjim View Post
"What is the penalty if he exceeds them."

Injured or incapacitated pitcher can't return if his replacement REQUIRES more than 8 pitches.
If a normal pitcher's replacement takes more pitches than 8 I think you are suppose to authorize them. If you do authorize is the penalty no reentry of the replaced F1? What you do if he just keeps throwing I don't know. The few times this happened I told the opposing coach the leaving pitcher was burned as a pitcher. That satisfied them but there is a little ambiguity in this FED sit.
I stop him at 8. If he wants more, I'd make the coach use the word "injury" and then not allow the return of the replaced pitcher. But, 100% of the time to date, either the coach has used that word at the time of replacement, or the pitcher has stopped at 8 or fewer pitches.