The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 11, 2007, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

Starting Pitcher re-entry

Rule 3.03 Comment: A pitcher may change to another position only once during the same inning; e.g. the pitcher will not be allowed to assume a position other than a pitcher more than once in the same inning. Any player other than a pitcher substituted for an injured player shall be allowed five warm-up throws. (See Rule 8.03 for pitchers.)

OBR ruling. This has become a league issue lately that uses OBR but has league adoptions for substitutions. For this discussion only, please use OBR and ignore any possible local adoptions.

I have checked in the J/R manual and could not really find anything.
Given the 3.03 comment from OBR that I posted is the following an allowable scenario?

Team Blue starts pitcher Kevin and on the teams first visit in the 4th inning they remove him and place him at the Shortstop position and the SS, David, comes into pitch. In the 6th inning, the manager brings came in Kevin to pitch. Is this allowable? Would it be different if:
A) it was the 2nd visit of the inning and/or
B) he attempted to bring in the 2nd pitcher of the game as opposed to the starter

If I need to clarify anything please let me know as this has become a league problem and needs corrected.
Old Tue Jun 12, 2007, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyByrd
Rule 3.03 Comment: A pitcher may change to another position only once during the same inning; e.g. the pitcher will not be allowed to assume a position other than a pitcher more than once in the same inning. Any player other than a pitcher substituted for an injured player shall be allowed five warm-up throws. (See Rule 8.03 for pitchers.)

OBR ruling. This has become a league issue lately that uses OBR but has league adoptions for substitutions. For this discussion only, please use OBR and ignore any possible local adoptions.

I have checked in the J/R manual and could not really find anything.
Given the 3.03 comment from OBR that I posted is the following an allowable scenario?

Team Blue starts pitcher Kevin and on the teams first visit in the 4th inning they remove him and place him at the Shortstop position and the SS, David, comes into pitch. In the 6th inning, the manager brings came in Kevin to pitch. Is this allowable?
Yes

Quote:
Would it be different if:
A) it was the 2nd visit of the inning and/or
Yes, it would be different (it would not be allowed. In fact, under "pure" OBR F1 must be removed *from the game* on the second visit)

Quote:
B) he attempted to bring in the 2nd pitcher of the game as opposed to the starter
No, it would not be different.