The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 07, 2003, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

jicecone, you are right. The last two years I have used the bulletin boards and have learned a lot and will continue to soak it all in. I am one of those "old dogs" that want to still continue to learn, but most importantly have fun.
Old Tue Jan 07, 2003, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by jicecone

I am one of those guys that have NOT used an indicator for about 12 years. It started on a dare and it seems that once I got used to NOT using one, it was impossible to even try using it again. I'm talking about officiating all levels from LL - College and Semi-Pro. Both on the bases and behind the plate.

I thought I would throw this out for discussion during the dog days of winter. What are your experiences and prefrences? I think it would be interesting to find out.

This topic comes up from time to time and gets varried responses. To me using an indicator is either a preference "thing" or mandated by one's association. I believe some college associations do not allow the BU to use an indicator and to date I have not seen a PRO Umpire carry an indicator on the bases.

The Plate is a different story. Even the PROS with the BIG and Expensive score-Boards at their disposal use an indicator while doing the plate.

I use an indicator both at the plate and the bases, however, as TEE mentioned it's not a good idea to constantly look down at the indicator. I've got used to it so it's not a distraction.

In the scheme of things I don't think it's that big of deal whether one carries an indicator on the bases or not unless mandated by a particular association.

I do experiment each year with different parts of my game in order to improve and also find a "comfort" zone and one of these years at least in pre-season I will try doing the bases with no indicator and see what happens, however, as mentioned IMO there are other more important aspects of umpiring in which to work on and carrying an indicator or not is a "low" priority.

Pete Booth

Old Tue Jan 07, 2003, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

There is always the "braille" indicator available from POS+. You never have to look at it. It has another advantage, too: its heavy stainless steel construction allows it to double as brass knuckles.

Only problem is the wheels are hard to turn. I'll have to see whether cleaning and oiling do the trick.
Old Wed Jan 15, 2003, 11:21am
Veteran College Umpire

I always use a counter on the plate, though I seldom need to refer to it. My fingers pretty much know what to click when. I always carry one in my pocket on the bases, but only pull it out and use it if the game is so boring I lose count in my head. If I keep the count in my head on the bases it keeps me focused on the game better.

I got my Christmas wish...baseball season is coming -

JJ
Old Wed Jan 15, 2003, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

To sneallyk . . .

"To the guys who don't use a counter, shame on you! It's a tool for umpires that is supposed to hold them accountable for the bucks you are earning. Where would a basketball referee be if he didn't use a whistle because it was too difficult too use. Learn to use the tools of your trade."

"Come on guys, a little civility is needed here."

I missed these two posts earlier:

You say we want "civility" yet your opening statements take us to task.

I tried to be honest and nice to you in my original post.

Here are my points . . .

There are a huge number of people who umpire that do things "differently" than you (or me) and they do fine.

You have tried to put us in our place by telling us that we are wrong . . .

When I said that you were probably "a letter of the rules" guy I was just trying to place "why" you made such a rude statement as you did.

Sneak . . . I do not umpire for "fun" . . . I have never considered umpiring as fun and never would.

It is a serious business for serious people.

Of course this is just my opinion.
Old Wed Jan 15, 2003, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

I umpire for the same reason I played baseball: because it's fun. It's fun to improve at this avocation; it's fun to hustle; it's fun to make a call on a very close play; it's fun to know the rules so much better than the coaches; it's fun to be a part of a game that the kids so enjoy playing and their parents so enjoy watching; and it's fun to have a modest pool of cash at the end of the year to splurge on something you otherwise couldn't because you had fun all year officiating.

What's not fun is loosing the count because of a momentarily diversionary event. So use an indicator and only look at it when you must.
Old Wed Jan 15, 2003, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

"What's not fun is loosing the count because of a momentarily diversionary event. So use an indicator and only look at it when you must."

That same event will probably cause you to loose the count with or without an indiclickercounter. That was the point I was trying to make on my original thread. Perception seems to be, if you are holding an indicator, then you are more likely NOT to make a mistake. When in fact, I have found that I have made less mistakes without using one.

Have a good season and Finger It Out if you so choose.
Old Thu Jan 16, 2003, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

After I was flipping through the FED baseball guide for 2003, I noticed an interesting article at the bottom of page 4 (for those of you who have this). It reads:

Quick Tip:
LIMIT INDICATOR USE
"Your ball and strike indicator is a tool, not a crutch. Refrain from holding your indicator in front of your eyes after every pitch especially when you have just punched out a batter on a called third strike. Learn to change your indicator whitout looking at the numbers. If you must check it, hold it by your left hip and glance down to see the count. Try keeping you indicator in your pocket and see if you can break the habit of looking at it after every pitch or even using it at all."

As an umpire, I am just entering my second year, and don't really have strong feelings on this issue. I'll admit, I'm probably one of those guys who rely on their indicator too much. I just thought this would be an interesting aspect to add to this discussion; especially the last sentence.
Old Thu Jan 16, 2003, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Nice one!

I carry one and use it behind the dish and in the field. I don't spend much time looking at it... in fact someone asks me the count and although I have the count in my head, I think I always look at the idiclickercounter to confirm (CRUTCH).

I do occasionally find that I have clicked a third strike for a foul ball or failed to click a ball after a passed ball. It can be confusing. Keeping track of the count in three different locations (head, clicker, scoreboard) gives plenty of opportunity for error.

Rely on the scoreboard... no way! They're more asleep than I am and actually have the correct count and outs slightly more than half the time (conservative estimation). I'm forever holding up fingers hoping that the scoreboard operator will take notice and make a correction.

The idea of not using a clicker is new to me. I think I will try it.

Old Thu Jan 16, 2003, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

If you hold your indicator in your left hand as you're supposed to. Adjust your mask with your left hand and glance at the indicator while your hand is in front of your mask and no one will know you looked at the indicator.
Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 10:10am
Veteran College Umpire

Sigh. I'm so old that I can't hold my hand in front of my face and check my indicator (it has to be at arm's length)...bifocals...I suppose I could ask the catcher to look at it for me
Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Indicators

I'm like Tim, if they ask me the count on the bases I could guess, I might know, but if doubt, I'll just tell em to ask the plate man.

Or if they insist I'll ask him.

Hey "88888" what count do you have?

He tells us and then we play on.

Its just not that big a deal IMO

Thanks
David