Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 28, 2011, 06:58am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
I don't get your objection STB to what Rich said, but then again a lot of people here, most of the time, don't get what you're saying.
It's typical troll behavior. Latch onto a portion of a post, take it out of context and make ridiculous statements.
Old Thu Apr 28, 2011, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Take it for what is worth. If I am AD I am not paying to develop umpires, I expect assignor to take care of that, that is what I pay for.
It's similar to the pros...Minor league teams pay for umpires, but they understand that they are a development league for those umpires.

JV teams around here understand the same. Umpires do not go from signing up to working Varsity. The JV level is a developmental level for many areas. If JV AD's insisted on Varsity level officials only, they would have a lot of games with no umpires.
Old Thu Apr 28, 2011, 12:02pm
In Time Out

Quote:
I don't get your objection STB to what Rich said...
Let me be clear then.

I hear all the time about umpires who give their services for the "love of the game" and/or they attempt to rationalize taking game fees as a "wash" where the income = expense. It's a load of garbage and when taken to the task on how it is that expenses=income, you get ridiculous comments such as Fronheiser's $30 dinner and booze intake being the expenses that wash the income.

Be real. If you want to use umpiring as a charitable act, fine, don't take the fees, eat a homemade sandwich and drink bottled water. Hell, you still have a net loss you can write off against your taxable income.

Note btw that no one on this forum has stepped up to say "Hey, I do it for the income and I enjoy doing it as well". At least that's the truth, it's honest and it is forthright.

Questions?
Old Thu Apr 28, 2011, 12:09pm
Archaic Power Monger

What you fail to comprehend , is that Rich DOES volunteer his services with a baseball organization and he has stated as such in this thread.

Quite frankly I DON'T umpire for the money. I do it because I love the game and enjoy umpiring. The money is nice but it's not why I do it and I could make a lot more doing other things with my free time. I choose not to because I don't enjoy them nearly as much as I do officiating. Like the vast majority of us, I turn very little profit officiating. I'd say I don't get why this is so hard to understand, but I know you're just trolling.

With that, time to stop feeding the troll. Just can't help myself sometimes.

Last edited by Welpe; Thu Apr 28, 2011 at 12:18pm.
Old Thu Apr 28, 2011, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=Welpe;754108]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
The money is nice but it's not why I do it and I could make a lot more doing other things with my free time.
This is the concept of opportunity cost, and your application of it is exactly right. But it's confusing for some people.

Quote:
With that, time to stop feeding the troll. Just can't help myself sometimes.
Amen.
Old Thu Apr 28, 2011, 01:25pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I see that someone I've ignored has referenced me. I'm sure it has to do with my saying "I don't do it for the money." Oh, OK, I'll look, but only so I'm not off-base in my reply. Yup, OK.

Well, I don't. A $60 game fee, after vehicle/fuel costs and my $30 meal and beers after a game doesn't exactly leave me with a lot of money. The only thing a game fee does is help me get close enough (on either direction) to breaking even.

My free baseball is the baseball I work and the time I spend teaching clinics and doing other things for Little League. Of course, none of the coaches and local administrators are getting paid to do that, either.
I refrained from quoting him on purpose. Your welcome.
Old Thu Apr 28, 2011, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

I umpire for the hospitality table.
Old Thu Apr 28, 2011, 01:40pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply The Best View Post
blah blah blah
So exactly who are you to determine why Rich does it? We all officiate for different reasons, most of us have a combination of reasons. Guys that do it "solely" for the money won't last because, as Welpe notes, there isn't enough money in it to make it worth it.

Basically, if you don't love the game, you won't be officiating it. If you don't get paid at all, you won't be officiating either.

Like I said, a combination of reasons.
Old Thu Apr 28, 2011, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply The Best View Post
Questions?
Again, I don't get what you're objection to Rich's statement is. What you just tried to pass off as a reason sounded like complete BS. Who are you to question Rich's or anyone else's love of the game? You are literally the only person I've ever met that got all in arms about this. Everyone on this forum understands Rich's point. It's a point that not only those that officiate baseball but do other sports. Let's not kid ourselves here, if anyone is going to stick it out at this level for any length of time, there has to be some love for whatever sport you officiate.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Apr 28, 2011, 03:01pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Again, I don't get what you're objection to Rich's statement is. What you just tried to pass off as a reason sounded like complete BS. Who are you to question Rich's or anyone else's love of the game? You are literally the only person I've ever met that got all in arms about this. Everyone on this forum understands Rich's point. It's a point that not only those that officiate baseball but do other sports. Let's not kid ourselves here, if anyone is going to stick it out at this level for any length of time, there has to be some love for whatever sport you officiate.
It's obvious that everyone here gets it. Well, except the troll.

I can easily live without the money that comes from officiating. I'm lucky in that regard, although I remember when I was in grad school and counted on officiating money to be able to do things other than eat ramen noodles every night for dinner. Back then I worked as many games as I could every day as long as it didn't interfere with my classes and schoolwork.

If people are working $60 games for the money, they're in the wrong business. Sure, the game itself may only take 90 minutes, but working a game involves a lot more than the time actually spent calling balls and strikes. Subtract out the cost of driving to a game (my baseball around here, with the exception of one or two schools pays NO travel money at all) and the driving time and the time away from my wife and daughter, and it's not a great bargain. If I didn't love it, on some level, I sure as hell wouldn't keep doing it.
Old Thu Apr 28, 2011, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
It's obvious that everyone here gets it. Well, except the troll.

I can easily live without the money that comes from officiating. I'm lucky in that regard, although I remember when I was in grad school and counted on officiating money to be able to do things other than eat ramen noodles every night for dinner. Back then I worked as many games as I could every day as long as it didn't interfere with my classes and schoolwork.

If people are working $60 games for the money, they're in the wrong business. Sure, the game itself may only take 90 minutes, but working a game involves a lot more than the time actually spent calling balls and strikes. Subtract out the cost of driving to a game (my baseball around here, with the exception of one or two schools pays NO travel money at all) and the driving time and the time away from my wife and daughter, and it's not a great bargain. If I didn't love it, on some level, I sure as hell wouldn't keep doing it.
+1

Don't forget the 45 minute minimum pre game and the 30 minute post game meeting. I am sure the majority of us do it for the money. That $12-15 average is too inticing. STB must have plenty of money considering how much time he has to hang around and stir up messes.
Old Thu Apr 28, 2011, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
It's similar to the pros...Minor league teams pay for umpires, but they understand that they are a development league for those umpires.

JV teams around here understand the same. Umpires do not go from signing up to working Varsity. The JV level is a developmental level for many areas. If JV AD's insisted on Varsity level officials only, they would have a lot of games with no umpires.
Well I don't know that it is. Minor league teams pay peanuts for umpires, but they don't expect to play with just one to save money.

And if an AD wants Varsity level umpires all he/she has to do is ask for them and pay more, $10 more per game around here, but assignor is going to balk at sending one, and no one would ask. And even then they not going to get the grizzled veterans, they will get 3-4 year "veterans".
Old Thu Apr 28, 2011, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Well I don't know that it is. Minor league teams pay peanuts for umpires, but they don't expect to play with just one to save money.

And if an AD wants Varsity level umpires all he/she has to do is ask for them and pay more, $10 more per game around here, but assignor is going to balk at sending one, and no one would ask. And even then they not going to get the grizzled veterans, they will get 3-4 year "veterans".
Wow. Here, Varsity umpires work varsity. JV umpires are working their way up. If an AD asked for Varsity Umpires for a JV game the assignor would laugh. We have an agreement with the schools that the top umpires are assigned to work varsity games. Sub varsity games are assigned next with what's left, starting with those with JV experience and working the way down to newbies.
Old Thu Apr 28, 2011, 11:49pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Quite frankly I DON'T umpire for the money. I do it because I love the game and enjoy umpiring.
What happens to the fees you refuse?
Quote:
The money is nice...
Old Thu Apr 28, 2011, 11:52pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
We all officiate for different reasons, most of us have a combination of reasons.
Granted.
Quote:
Guys that do it "solely" for the money won't last because, as Welpe notes, there isn't enough money in it to make it worth it.
Total BS, I know hundreds of umpires whose game fees are the difference between them paying their bills and living off the welfare dole in a flea bag apartment.
Closed Thread