View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 28, 2011, 03:01pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Again, I don't get what you're objection to Rich's statement is. What you just tried to pass off as a reason sounded like complete BS. Who are you to question Rich's or anyone else's love of the game? You are literally the only person I've ever met that got all in arms about this. Everyone on this forum understands Rich's point. It's a point that not only those that officiate baseball but do other sports. Let's not kid ourselves here, if anyone is going to stick it out at this level for any length of time, there has to be some love for whatever sport you officiate.
It's obvious that everyone here gets it. Well, except the troll.

I can easily live without the money that comes from officiating. I'm lucky in that regard, although I remember when I was in grad school and counted on officiating money to be able to do things other than eat ramen noodles every night for dinner. Back then I worked as many games as I could every day as long as it didn't interfere with my classes and schoolwork.

If people are working $60 games for the money, they're in the wrong business. Sure, the game itself may only take 90 minutes, but working a game involves a lot more than the time actually spent calling balls and strikes. Subtract out the cost of driving to a game (my baseball around here, with the exception of one or two schools pays NO travel money at all) and the driving time and the time away from my wife and daughter, and it's not a great bargain. If I didn't love it, on some level, I sure as hell wouldn't keep doing it.