View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 28, 2011, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
It's obvious that everyone here gets it. Well, except the troll.

I can easily live without the money that comes from officiating. I'm lucky in that regard, although I remember when I was in grad school and counted on officiating money to be able to do things other than eat ramen noodles every night for dinner. Back then I worked as many games as I could every day as long as it didn't interfere with my classes and schoolwork.

If people are working $60 games for the money, they're in the wrong business. Sure, the game itself may only take 90 minutes, but working a game involves a lot more than the time actually spent calling balls and strikes. Subtract out the cost of driving to a game (my baseball around here, with the exception of one or two schools pays NO travel money at all) and the driving time and the time away from my wife and daughter, and it's not a great bargain. If I didn't love it, on some level, I sure as hell wouldn't keep doing it.
+1

Don't forget the 45 minute minimum pre game and the 30 minute post game meeting. I am sure the majority of us do it for the money. That $12-15 average is too inticing. STB must have plenty of money considering how much time he has to hang around and stir up messes.