The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 04, 2011, 04:06am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Unusual Triple Play?

As many of you I'm sure saw, yesterday we had what I would consider an unusual triple play.

Batter bunts the ball in the air. First basemen makes a diving catch and then throws to first for out number two, who relays it to second for out three as both players were moving on the bunt attempt.

Got me to thinking:

1) Have you ever been on the field for a triple play? If so what was the situation?

2) What is the most bizarre play you've been a witness to?

Just curious.

Play ball!
Old Mon Apr 04, 2011, 06:07am
Official Forum Member

I've never been on the field. However, when I was umpiring a World Record game in 2009, I had just left the field at the beginning of the half-inning to suit up for my turn at the plate when one was turned.
Old Mon Apr 04, 2011, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

Yes once, semi-pro league game in pittsburgh. Bases loaded, 3-2 count, line drive to F5 steps on 3b and throws to first.

A Biizarre play. R1 attempts steal to second in HS Varsity game and gets to within 10 feet of bag when overthrow is caught behind the bag by F2. R1 stops, turns around, and starts to run back to first. Of course he got thrown out there. Player actually thought ball was pop-up to F2 and was trying to get back to first. From his actions though it was clear he just wasn't thinking at all.
Old Mon Apr 04, 2011, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
As many of you I'm sure saw, yesterday we had what I would consider an unusual triple play.
My tribe turned that! Unusual? You've never seen the 3-4-6 triple play on a bunt?
Old Mon Apr 04, 2011, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Triple Play

Men’s league, I was PU.
R3, R1, No outs. B3 hits grounder that goes up the 3B side of the mound and is the right height off of the ground for F6 to field the ball and touch 2B in stride and then throws to F3 to get the second out. When F6 went to 1B, R3 started home, F3 turns and throws to F2 who tags R3. Inning over, if you like DPs, you’ll love triple plays.
Old Mon Apr 04, 2011, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

American Legion ball about eight years ago:

R2, R3
Batter swings at strike 3, ball hits the dirt but just under F2. The batter hesitated and was tagged for first out. R2 was off on what he must have thought was a ball that got away. F2 to F6 for out two. R3 then heads home with a piano on his back and is cut down by the throw.

2-6-2 triple play. I had to keep myself from laughing as I dusted off the plate for the start of the next half.

2-6-2...I can't imagine ever seeing that again.
Old Mon Apr 04, 2011, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Mine was REALLY bizzare. I'm PU, Bases full, line drive to the right of F5 (towards the line) who is playing in front of the bag. I rule no catch, but everyone acted like it WAS a catch. He dove to tag a retreating R3, and ended up in a heap on top of 3rd base. My partner just didn't even make a call at first, just took the whole picture in. After confirming I had no-catch, he banged out R3 on the tag and R2 on the force.

As R3 and R2 headed to the bench, the only other runner was R1 who was standing on 2nd. The batter was nowhere to be found. Sure enough he was in the dugout like I ruled catch. So there is 3.

I guess that goes unassisted, but I'm not sure. 3rd base coach about had a seizure.

Had another, can't really remember the circumstances, but the 3rd out was a rundown between 2nd and 3rd. I remember splitting the half as U1 (3 man), the tag was made in the middle, and the old fart I was working with, member of this forum, tapped his chest as I was about to snag the call from him saying "no, no, I got this one, he's out". Greedy... I wanted that 3rd out!

Last edited by TussAgee11; Mon Apr 04, 2011 at 09:58am.
Old Mon Apr 04, 2011, 09:09pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
My tribe turned that! Unusual? You've never seen the 3-4-6 triple play on a bunt?
Uh, that would be a no!
Old Tue Apr 05, 2011, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
1) Have you ever been on the field for a triple play? If so what was the situation?
I've had one, but it wasn't any defensive artistry or anything. In fact, I don't remember clearly the first two outs of the play now, even though it was just a year ago.

I forget it mostly because of the stupidity of the last out: a runnner that had made it to 2B was just walking around near the bag, and was then tagged out for the 3rd out. As I heard him tell it - and this may have been cover to save face - he thought there were already 3 out, so .....

Certainly not one of those 5-4-3 triple plays or something like that.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2011, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
A Biizarre play. R1 attempts steal to second in HS Varsity game and gets to within 10 feet of bag when overthrow is caught behind the bag by F2. R1 stops, turns around, and starts to run back to first. Of course he got thrown out there. Player actually thought ball was pop-up to F2 and was trying to get back to first. From his actions though it was clear he just wasn't thinking at all.
Did you mean F4?
Old Tue Apr 05, 2011, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by celebur View Post
Did you mean F4?
I think F2 catching the ball was the unusual part.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2011, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I think F2 catching the ball was the unusual part.
I had that kid during my plate game the other day.

JM
Old Thu Apr 07, 2011, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

Saw one from the stands a few years ago in an NCAA D1 game: Runners at First and Third, 0 out. Ground ball to SS. Runner at 3B holds to see what the shortstop is going to do. Shortstop goes to second to start your basic 6-4-3 double play. At that point, the runner at 3B breaks for home. Meanwhile, the defense gets the out at second and goes over to first for out #2. Then, the first baseman fires home, and the catcher tags the sliding runner!
Old Fri Apr 08, 2011, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan10 View Post
Saw one from the stands a few years ago in an NCAA D1 game: Runners at First and Third, 0 out. Ground ball to SS. Runner at 3B holds to see what the shortstop is going to do. Shortstop goes to second to start your basic 6-4-3 double play. At that point, the runner at 3B breaks for home. Meanwhile, the defense gets the out at second and goes over to first for out #2. Then, the first baseman fires home, and the catcher tags the sliding runner!
Let me guess: R3 was a catcher or corner infielder?
Old Fri Apr 08, 2011, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Let me guess: R3 was a catcher or corner infielder?
Maybe the distance from 3B to home was 92 feet.