The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 03, 2011, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Thoughts on this situation. (video)

First, what do you think of the call? Second, what do you think about the 2 ejections?

Old Sun Apr 03, 2011, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Wrong position for PU to make the call.

Regarding ejections...I couldn't hear what the coaches had to say.
Old Sun Apr 03, 2011, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Looks like the player must have said a magic word. The assistant coach sounds like he says "That's G*DD*MNED ridiculous".

My thought is who would eject after the game has ended and for what? I understand that you can do so in FED while in still in the "vicinity" of the playing field.

I don't necessarily think that he was in a bad position. He had the ball in the OF, and retreated to a good spot IMO. I know that the book may want him on the third base line extended, but I think he had a great angle where he was since the runner was between he and the catcher.

Last edited by Illini_Ref; Sun Apr 03, 2011 at 12:35pm.
Old Sun Apr 03, 2011, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

The plate umpire was a step or two on the third base side of 1st BLX. The runners body blocked his view of the plate. He should have taken the play at 3rd BLX, and would have if he let the developing play dictate his position.
Old Sun Apr 03, 2011, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

The angle the camera had was the positioning the PU should have had. CLOSE, but I had him safe.

Illini - Post game ejections are a great tool for us. Why should an act that would have been an ejection 1 pitch earlier not be an ejection after the 3rd out?
If your state doesn't suspend 1 game for an ejection, then yes it would be pointless.
Old Sun Apr 03, 2011, 12:56pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini_Ref View Post
Looks like the player must have said a magic word. The assistant coach sounds like he says "That's G*DD*MNED ridiculous".

My thought is who would eject after the game has ended and for what? I understand that you can do so in FED while in still in the "vicinity" of the playing field.

I don't necessarily think that he was in a bad position. He had the ball in the OF, and retreated to a good spot IMO. I know that the book may want him on the third base line extended, but I think he had a great angle where he was since the runner was between he and the catcher.
OK, the umpire took the play at the wrong place and the runner was safe. Let's look beyond that.

It's the last play of the game. I'm calling a runner out and walking out of the park. I'm not sticking around to see what they think of my call. I know what the offense thinks (regardless of whether it's correct) and I know what the defense thinks. I won't avoid a post-game ejection, but they'll be yelling at my back.
Old Sun Apr 03, 2011, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Rich, I totally agree, but the coach jawed at the umpire as he was passing him. The umpire appeared to linger to wait on his partner, as he should.

I also think that we sometimes HAVE to act, regardless of WHEN. A coach would not allow his kids to say the same thing to him when they disagree, so he shouldn't expect to get away with it either.

For the record, this is not me, or a game I was at. I saw it on another board and thought it was good for discussion here.
Old Sun Apr 03, 2011, 01:25pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini_Ref View Post
Rich, I totally agree, but the coach jawed at the umpire as he was passing him. The umpire appeared to linger to wait on his partner, as he should.

I also think that we sometimes HAVE to act, regardless of WHEN. A coach would not allow his kids to say the same thing to him when they disagree, so he shouldn't expect to get away with it either.

For the record, this is not me, or a game I was at. I saw it on another board and thought it was good for discussion here.
Depends on what's said. I'd expect some jawing that normally, during the game, I'd have to stop. After the game's over, I'll give them a bit more rope because I'm heading for the car.

In this case, I have no idea what was said. The base umpire should've been quicker leaving the field, too.
Old Sun Apr 03, 2011, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

1. PU has fair/foul, catch/no-catch responisibilty and goes up the line. (two man sytem has him in precarious position already.

2. PU then realizes R1 may get to plate and retreats. Not quite sure he could of got best position for that play, 3b extended.

3. Ball beats runner.

4. Catcher makes nice swipe tag.

5. PU, from probably the best acheivable position he can get, makes a good call without the aid of instant replay.

6. Not quite sure what player said, so it was probaly a good EJ.

7. PU needs to head directly to gate and go home after that.

JMO
Old Sun Apr 03, 2011, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

I'm guessing that he ejected the player for good reason. The movement towards the dugout may have been to get the correct number for the report to the state association. I will give him the benefit of the doubt on that. He appeared to be leaving but waiting for his partner (we don't know where the exit is). The coach said whatever he did while he was passing him. I see no problems with anything. Sounded like the coach said "that's G*DD*MNED ridicuolous." At the HS level, he probably needs dumped.
Old Sun Apr 03, 2011, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post

2. PU then realizes R1 may get to plate and retreats. Not quite sure he could of got best position for that play, 3b extended.

5. PU, from probably the best acheivable position he can get, makes a good call without the aid of instant replay.

JMO
PU had time to come back to plate and move to far 1st BLX. He had time to get a better position. It was no farther away, just a different direction.
-
Having the advantage to view it again, the first ejections seem to be for the runner throwing his helmet. The second to an A$$-istant coach for mouthing off as he passed by. Although I'd have preferred he got off the field, or at least away from the plate right after the play, I don't have a lot of heartburn over either one.

Last edited by MrUmpire; Sun Apr 03, 2011 at 04:31pm.
Old Sun Apr 03, 2011, 03:44pm
In Time Out

Arrow

Terrible positioning, lazy retreat after going out on catch/no catch; tag on back when scoring R hand and chest are clearly on or past the plate; terrible call.

EJ (hopefully) justified since the player past right by PU. 2nd EJ, if it was loud enough and egregious enough to warrant an EJ, then good on PU.
Old Sun Apr 03, 2011, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply The Best View Post
Terrible positioning, lazy retreat after going out on catch/no catch; tag on back when scoring R hand and chest are clearly on or past the plate; terrible call.

EJ (hopefully) justified since the player past right by PU. 2nd EJ, if it was loud enough and egregious enough to warrant an EJ, then good on PU.
"Terrible positioning"? What was he supposed to do turnaround and run full speed to 3b ext? Don't think so. He has to backpeddle to keep the play in front of him.

Right hand never touched the plate. Did you look at any of the video? First hand to touch was left hand and by then F2 has the tag.
Old Sun Apr 03, 2011, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
"Terrible positioning"? What was he supposed to do turnaround and run full speed to 3b ext? Don't think so. He has to backpeddle to keep the play in front of him.
Oh, c'mon. There were 7 to 8 seconds between the the fly ball hitting the ground and the play at the plate. The PU was in fair territory. All he had to do was go the same distance in a different direction and he would have been where he should have been. It wasn't an issue of time, it was an issue of judgment.

Last edited by MrUmpire; Sun Apr 03, 2011 at 06:16pm.
Old Sun Apr 03, 2011, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Play needs to be taken 3BX extended no questions asked. Probably even a bit further towards 1B line as the swipe tag came through on the backside of the runner and that is the only position you can see through the bodies. 95% of close tag plays at the plate on batted balls should be taken 3BX anyways. That collision play really only happens if the ball is waiting there for the runner, other than that its always going to turn into swipe tag.

Player tossed his helmet a bit, I'm not looking to pick that booger. Never say never, who knows if something else was said or what. But just off the video PU seemed to lose control just the way he was walking around.

If I banged the out, I'd stay right where I was and deal with it if someone was looking for a confrontation. The player retreated to the dugout. That's where I want him to go. Unless he said something very bad, that EJ is just going to look bad. He's going away, let him go.

Then, I would NEVER turn around and say what he said to that AC. "You know what? You're done too?" Totally unprofessional. And I would NEVER return back to the plate once I walked away.

I won't pretend to know the history here or what was said, which could change everything. All I can go by is what I saw.

My jacket would probably be tucked in too.