The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 15, 2011, 06:51am
Get away from me, Steve.

ML umpire wins $775K in lawsuit

MLB Umpire Injured by Foul Ball Awarded $775K in Suit Against Sporting Goods Company - The BLT: The Blog of Legal Times

Could this be the end of Wilson and other manufacturers using ML umpires as equipment guinea pigs?
Old Tue Mar 15, 2011, 07:48am
Official Forum Member

I am confused by Wilson's argument. I'm sure that they tested the strength of the unit but what they did is akin to a brake company field testing their new pads on a NASCAR track. I know some of you may think that having amateurs do it is just as silly and I agree. There has to be a better way.

At the same time, Hickox accepted the free gear. I didn't read anything further on this piece. Does anyone knows whether MLB umpires receive sponsorship deals for wearing gear?
Old Tue Mar 15, 2011, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
MLB Umpire Injured by Foul Ball Awarded $775K in Suit Against Sporting Goods Company - The BLT: The Blog of Legal Times

Could this be the end of Wilson and other manufacturers using ML umpires as equipment guinea pigs?
I'm surprised the reporter didn't call it a foul tip.
Old Tue Mar 15, 2011, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

In the past, MLB guys just got free stuff, not dollars. Maybe someone up the chain of command got greased, but not the guys actually wearing the gear.

Perhaps in their new contract they finally woke up, and are getting paid to wear NB shoes, etc. Probably not, though, as these aren't the brightest cats around.

I wonder what type of mask he was wearing, that go him clocked more than normal. We all face getting nailed, hurt, consussed, etc, everytime we assume the position. It goes with the territory.

But if he was so bent on suing Wilson, why on Earth did continue to wear their gear? Evidently he got nailed again wearing one of those dopey Shock helmet contraptions, and suffered a nasty concussion and ear damage in '09. Fool me once.....

Note to helmet wearers: The concussion of the noise resonating inside that bucket just can't be good for you. The few times I've been nailed wearing one, my ears have rung for days. That shock wave has to go somewhere.
Old Wed Mar 16, 2011, 11:57am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
I am confused by Wilson's argument. I'm sure that they tested the strength of the unit but what they did is akin to a brake company field testing their new pads on a NASCAR track. I know some of you may think that having amateurs do it is just as silly and I agree. There has to be a better way.

At the same time, Hickox accepted the free gear.
There has been a switch to amateurs and this lawsuit is a one reason why. I have a recent post about a new helmet/plastic faceguard that I was given after first signing a Non Disclosure and a Waiver of Liability.
Quote:
I didn't read anything further on this piece. Does anyone knows whether MLB umpires receive sponsorship deals for wearing gear?
Years ago they received under the table payments and free gear. Then contracts were drawn but kept confidential. Today, I don't know, I haven't asked any of them, it's a touchy subject.
Old Wed Mar 16, 2011, 12:00pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
Note to helmet wearers: The concussion of the noise resonating inside that bucket just can't be good for you. The few times I've been nailed wearing one, my ears have rung for days. That shock wave has to go somewhere.
Havent the foggiest what you are alluding to having worn several helmets (AllStar, Riddell, Wilson, Mizuno, etc) and never have had either "shock waves" or ear problems.

A proper fit is necessary FYI.
Old Wed Mar 16, 2011, 12:01pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post

No.

Next question, Thump.
Old Wed Mar 16, 2011, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply The Best View Post
Havent the foggiest what you are alluding to having worn several helmets (AllStar, Riddell, Wilson, Mizuno, etc) and never have had either "shock waves" or ear problems.

I'm just talking about the sound that reverberates inside the helmet. Since your ears are inside, the sound from the ball cracking your forehead goes straight into your ears.

Historically, until the Systems 7 s helmets arrived, the forehead padding on buckets have been minimal. We got those big, thick chin pads, but thin foam nearest our brains.

Scroll down to see the video. This shot messed up Ed's hearing.
Kitsap Umpires Camp - Home

Last edited by kylejt; Wed Mar 16, 2011 at 12:50pm.
Old Wed Mar 16, 2011, 02:44pm
In Time Out

Originally Posted by Simply The Best

Quote:
I'm just talking about the sound that reverberates inside the helmet. Since your ears are inside, the sound from the ball cracking your forehead goes straight into your ears.
I'm aware of what you are saying.
Quote:
Historically, until the Systems 7 s helmets arrived, the forehead padding on buckets have been minimal. We got those big, thick chin pads, but thin foam nearest our brains.
If your helmet is properly fitted, your forehead should not rest against the padding. If you cannot adjust your helmet to have a space (at least a finger width), then choose another helmet.
Quote:
Scroll down to see the video. This shot messed up Ed's hearing.
Kitsap Umpires Camp - Home
I've never had a hit to the helmet that has cracked it squarely down the middle. I have had facebars bent or split.

He was using the newer Wilson helmet which I hate. It was remanufactured to include space under the facemask for the bill of the cap. I don't wear a cap. I thought it was a stupid redesign then and now. Whether that had anything to do with the helmet failing (which it did when it split), I don't know.

My understanding of your point is that there were reports of helmet hits where the helmet was in tact (no failure) but caused damage by concussive rebound and/or sound waves that damaged the ear. All I can report is that I have never experienced that problem, never have had anyone relay that they have that problem and, for that matter, never have had a helmet failure.
Old Wed Mar 16, 2011, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In the past, MLB guys just got free stuff, not dollars.

It's still that way.

Perhaps a good time to note that, in regards to concussions, the helemt has not been shown to provide superior protection to the mask. Last figures indicate that ratio of number of concussions to number of helmets is no better than the number of concussions to the number of masks. In MiLB hemets had a higher rate of concussions two years ago.
Old Wed Mar 16, 2011, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

If you look at the forward contact area of the mask vs the helmet, you'll see how much more effective the mask is in distributing energy over a wider area. Plus, the padding on all my masks are far thicker than on my helmet. It's not even close.

Now granted, a square shot on the Shock helmet's grill may absorb a lot of energy via those bumpers. But that's only on a straight on blow.
Old Wed Mar 16, 2011, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If you look at the forward contact area of the mask vs the helmet, you'll see how much more effective the mask is in distributing energy over a wider area. Plus, the padding on all my masks are far thicker than on my helmet. It's not even close.

Now granted, a square shot on the Shock helmet's grill may absorb a lot of energy via those bumpers. But that's only on a straight on blow.
The "shock" style helmets have performed no better.
Old Thu Mar 17, 2011, 12:19am
In Time Out

Quote:
The thickness of the padding is relatively inconsequential to its energy distribution characteristics. The material used, how it contacts the forehead and several other qualities will determine its effectiveness. I am not an physicist-engineer and would suggest that we leave the complicated physics of energy absorption and release to the physicists.
Quote:
See above.
Old Thu Mar 17, 2011, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Hsm

As we know the study done with MiLB Umpires documented that there were more (and more severe) concussions when wearing a HSM.

The only "funny" part of the article is when the writer refers to the mask "flying off his head" . . . as we know that is what is supposed to happen.

T
Old Thu Mar 17, 2011, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

The only reason I would (and do) consider switching to a HSM is the protection from the batter's backswing.

Currently, my risk assessment is that concussions pose a greater risk to me, given the games and levels I work. It seems rational to stick with a traditional mask.