The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 23, 2011, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
All I am saying is that authorataive references have played a very important part in the interpretations of Basesball Rules and I would think the name Kyle McNeely would certainly have some influence on this situation.

As I pointed out previously, I probably would never have to make this ruling but, in my attempts to be a Rule Guru (???) it would be interesting to have one correct answer.
Even if we got the top authorities together, it is doubtful that they would agree on everything, so it may not be possible to have 'one correct answer'. But yes, it would be good to have such a one. In the meantime, discussions such as this one make me re-evaluate my initial conclusion, and to be honest, I'm not sure now which interpretation I favor!
Old Thu Mar 24, 2011, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
As an IHSA Clinician,
Really? I mean, really?
Old Thu Mar 24, 2011, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not sure what your concern is.
Old Thu Mar 24, 2011, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
I'm not sure what your concern is.
I'm always curious as to how the various states select their "clinicians", how many they select and what what official status they give to their clinicians' rulings.

It seems to differ drastically from states who have one appointed clinician to states where anyone who raised their hand is a clinician.

Quite honestly I'm surprised that someone who had been out of FED umpiring for any period of time would appointed a state clinician upon his/her return without spending some time to get back into the activity. But, different strokes.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2011, 04:51am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for asking. I was asked to be an IHSA clinician eight years ago. The IHSA trains us to train the umpires registered with our state association. They mandate and certify our training sessions. The IHSA has taken great steps to improve the mechanics used by umpires and communicate changes as they happen. I take great pride in what I do for the IHSA. Each of our clinics is rated and we are retained based on performance.

While I spent time abroad, I was heavily involved in umpire training and rule interpretation the entire time. I will tell you more in a PM if you would like. I see that even a brief mention of one's experience can be considered bragging and that was not my goal. I apologize of any of you thought I was. I make mistakes and try to learn from them.

Best wishes. I am off to vacation with my family for the kids' Spring Break. I won't miss the snow.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2011, 07:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInBlue View Post
Catcher's obstruction AND a balk according to FED rules. R3 awarded home, B awarded 1st base.

I agree with Rich on the MC - only because he made no effort to avoid contact. I agree with bob's assessment of MC, but in this sitch I'm leaning toward it due to the obvious intent to create a collision.

So, I've got R3 scoring then ejected, B on 1B. (pretty much what's been said already)
1 person got it right... this is exact play is in the rule book.. But it is catcher INT..LOL But with the Balk, the plays is dead, so the contact at the plate will mean nothing.. except I will let the coach know ( if in the umpires judgment that it was MC, he can be EJ)