The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 08:50pm
I Bleed Crimson

Batted Ball Hitting Runner

I've had a long standing argument with a buddy of mine. I'm not a baseball official (only football), so I don't have a great understanding of all the rules. My buddy has never officiated, though he did spend a year a couple of years in the minors (Clearwater and Batavia).

Here's the situation. Runners on 2nd and 3rd, no outs. F5 is playing up close. The batter, rather than bunting, hits a ground ball between 2nd and 3rd. F5 makes a dive, misses, and the batted ball hits the baserunner going from 2nd to 3rd. My buddy says the runner is out. I say the contact is ignored since it went past a fielder. Perhaps it is different for MLB vs NFHS vs other rules. But I'm curious about the ruling.

Thanks!
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suudy View Post
I've had a long standing argument with a buddy of mine. I'm not a baseball official (only football), so I don't have a great understanding of all the rules. My buddy has never officiated, though he did spend a year a couple of years in the minors (Clearwater and Batavia).

Here's the situation. Runners on 2nd and 3rd, no outs. F5 is playing up close. The batter, rather than bunting, hits a ground ball between 2nd and 3rd. F5 makes a dive, misses, and the batted ball hits the baserunner going from 2nd to 3rd. My buddy says the runner is out. I say the contact is ignored since it went past a fielder. Perhaps it is different for MLB vs NFHS vs other rules. But I'm curious about the ruling.

Thanks!
FED and NCAA: If F6 has a play, R2 is out, otherwise, R2 is not out.

OBR: If the ball went "immediately past" F5, then R2 is not out-- he could have reasonably expected F5 to maek a play -- unless F6 also has a play, in which case R2 is out. If the ball did not go "immedaitely past" F5, the R2 is out.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2011, 08:53pm
I Bleed Crimson

I see we were both correct....sorta.

I didn't consider F6. My point of view was that only F5 had a play. I think he considered F6, but didn't consider that F6 was not in position.

Thanks for the clarification.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2011, 05:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suudy View Post

Thanks!
If there is another infield that can play the batted ball, R2 is out (batter is awared in 1° e R3 return in 3°). Otherwise the ball is live.