The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 16, 2008, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Batted ball hitting runner - - OBR

The gentlemen with whom I am have this discussion with, is unable to post so I told him that I would post for him.

This discussion stemmed from the THROUGH OR BY post.

R2, left handed batter, all infielders (F3,F4,F5 and F6) positioned on the infield grass between the pitcher and 1B.
R2 goes on the pitch, batter hits the ball between 2B and 3B, which then contacts the runner. No other infielder had a play on the ball.

In an OBR game is the runner out or safe (play on)?

His contention is, that no matter, it is called the same as a FED called game.
I agree with him playing in a FED game, and out in an OBR game, because it has not went through or by and hit runner immediatly back of.

We have a rather large sum of money bet on this.
Old Fri May 16, 2008, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigda65
The gentlemen with whom I am have this discussion with, is unable to post so I told him that I would post for him.

This discussion stemmed from the THROUGH OR BY post.

R2, left handed batter, all infielders (F3,F4,F5 and F6) positioned on the infield grass between the pitcher and 1B.
R2 goes on the pitch, batter hits the ball between 2B and 3B, which then contacts the runner. No other infielder had a play on the ball.

In an OBR game is the runner out or safe (play on)?

His contention is, that no matter, it is called the same as a FED called game.
I agree with him playing in a FED game, and out in an OBR game, because it has not went through or by and hit runner immediatly back of.

We have a rather large sum of money bet on this.
It's an out.
Old Fri May 16, 2008, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigda65
First off.....huh???

Secondly...sounds like the ball has passed an infielder (all four of them, actually) other than the pitcher, so live ball, play on!

Which side of the bet are you on?
Old Fri May 16, 2008, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives
It's an out.
The fact that all fielders on the grass and the runner is (I assume) running in the base path behind the grass doesn't make it passing an infielder?
Old Fri May 16, 2008, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Keep in mind we are playing under OBR rules.

He says safe play on - It has passed an infielder

I say out - It has not went through or by an infielder and hit runner immediatly back of him.

I have agreed that in a FED rules game that the correct call is play on
Old Fri May 16, 2008, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBits
The fact that all fielders on the grass and the runner is (I assume) running in the base path behind the grass doesn't make it passing an infielder?
Not under OBR.

Under OBR, the "general" statement is that a runner is out when he's hit by a batted ball unless the ball was deflected or he could reasonably expect a fielder to field the ball (that is, the ball went *immediately by or through* the fielder AND the runner was right behind the fielder -- so the runner would have no time to react). Even in the latter exception, the runner is STILL out if another fielder could make the play.
Old Fri May 16, 2008, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Bob thanks for your reply.

I know how to rule on this play, I just cant convince my brother (the other gentlemen) that this play is called completely different depending on what rules set that you are playing under.

He bet me his entire pay for doing FED games this year approx. $2000.00.
Now I know he will not pay up but I wanted to print this post out and give it to him to show that it is him against the world.
Old Fri May 16, 2008, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting. Definite wording differences between OBR and FED. Never would have guessed.

So next time I see all the infielders standing between the mound and first base, I'll be ready!