The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 16, 2010, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

What was he thinking?

Had a close play and questionable call/ruling end a game this weekend. The play is irrelevant but what the umpire did after was inappropriate.

Coach and BU obviously jawed a little with both interjecting "no, you don't know the rule" etc. Coach headed to the dugout and BU umpire left the field via the gate in front of the parents who were yelling over the call. Then BU stopped to explain why our coach didn't know what he was talking about and BU tried to explain the rule to the parents. This only escalated the problem.

I hope his partner who left via the gate on the other side of the field gave him some advice between games.

1) Don't leave field via the losing team side
2) If you field the need to explain yourself to anyone other than the coach...don't.
Old Tue Nov 16, 2010, 03:59pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrope22 View Post
Had a close play and questionable call/ruling end a game this weekend. The play is irrelevant but what the umpire did after was inappropriate.

Coach and BU obviously jawed a little with both interjecting "no, you don't know the rule" etc. Coach headed to the dugout and BU umpire left the field via the gate in front of the parents who were yelling over the call. Then BU stopped to explain why our coach didn't know what he was talking about and BU tried to explain the rule to the parents. This only escalated the problem.

I hope his partner who left via the gate on the other side of the field gave him some advice between games.

1) Don't leave field via the losing team side
2) If you field the need to explain yourself to anyone other than the coach...don't.
Why would either umpire exit from different gates? Walk out the same way you came in. Together, as a team. Sounds as if the BU's partner could use some advice as well.

The call could be relevant in this case. I'm sure others would like to know what actually happened.

If the coach thinks I missed a call, that's one thing, but if the coach thinks I blew a rule call, I would keep on walking and not say a word.
Old Tue Nov 16, 2010, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Here is the play: Runner on first with one out. Ground ball to SS who flips to 2nd covering bag. Runner slides late but slides none the less. 2B is standing on the bag and doesn't drag or move so runner cuts him down. BU gives the out sign and turns to watch first base. Close play at first could go either way. BU umpire indicates closed fist out. First base coach starts to argue and BU is arguing he was out and it wasn't close. After a little back and forth BU says it doesn't matter anyway because runner didn't slide at second. Then the discussion turned to whether he slid or not. As I said both plays were close and neither was a bad call in my opinion and the BU and Coach exchange was very short. I was just making the observation that he shouldn't have left the field via our side and he wasn't going to win any arguments with the parents so don't bother.
Old Tue Nov 16, 2010, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Wait, you're not the coach, it sounds like you're a parent. Your argument, "If you field the need to explain yourself to anyone other than the coach...don't" will be the reason why I personally will choose not to comment on the points you made.
Old Tue Nov 16, 2010, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
BU says it doesn't matter anyway because runner didn't slide at second.
He deserved a chewing just for that.
Old Tue Nov 16, 2010, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
BU says it doesn't matter anyway because runner didn't slide at second.
Translation: I just realized I kicked the call at first, so I better make something up to cover my @ss. I remember doing something like this my sophomore year of umpiring.
Old Tue Nov 16, 2010, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

All sure signs of an inexperienced umpire. First of all he tried to convince the coach that his unconfident call at first was covered by his missed call (?) at second.

Then to make matters worse he tried to convince others he was right by explaining the rules to them.

He will learn.

Sooo, what exactly is your problem with a fellow official?
Old Tue Nov 16, 2010, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Here is the play: Runner on first with one out. Ground ball to SS who flips to 2nd covering bag. Runner slides late but slides none the less. 2B is standing on the bag and doesn't drag or move so runner cuts him down. BU gives the out sign and turns to watch first base. Close play at first could go either way. BU umpire indicates closed fist out. First base coach starts to argue and BU is arguing he was out and it wasn't close. After a little back and forth BU says it doesn't matter anyway because runner didn't slide at second. Then the discussion turned to whether he slid or not. As I said both plays were close and neither was a bad call in my opinion and the BU and Coach exchange was very short. I was just making the observation that he shouldn't have left the field via our side and he wasn't going to win any arguments with the parents so don't bother.
What rules?
Old Tue Nov 16, 2010, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
What rules?
I can only guess, a mis-interp of FPSR... I wonder what rule he explained.
Old Wed Nov 17, 2010, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

BU was trying to explain the force slide rule by saying he didn't slide but then changed it to he slid late then he slid with his hands up.
My observation is if he was enforcing the slide rule he should have called that at the time of the play at second. Instead after being challenged on the call at first he interjects the slide rule issue. As I said runner clearly out at second and close play at first. It was how he handled the aftermath that I was commenting on.
Old Wed Nov 17, 2010, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Not exactly sure what I need a refresher on unless the FPSR is in fact a delayed call. If that is the case then what should have been the mechanics for calling it?
Old Wed Nov 17, 2010, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not exactly sure what I need a refresher on unless the FPSR is in fact a delayed call. If that is the case then what should have been the mechanics for calling it?
BU can make the call if he sees it. PU can make the call if BU has turned toward first. Either should call it as soon as it happens, and not wait for the result of the play at first.
Old Wed Nov 17, 2010, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
BU was trying to explain the force slide rule by saying he didn't slide but then changed it to he slid late then he slid with his hands up.
My observation is if he was enforcing the slide rule he should have called that at the time of the play at second. Instead after being challenged on the call at first he interjects the slide rule issue. As I said runner clearly out at second and close play at first. It was how he handled the aftermath that I was commenting on.
There is no such thing as a "force slide rule." This is what give some the opinon the a slide is required.

There is, however, a "force play slide rule."

No one is ever required "forced" to slide.
Old Thu Nov 18, 2010, 02:58am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
Quite an interesting observation, seeing as how the FPSR call is NOT the BU's call! This belongs to the PU as the BU is supposed to be setting up for the play at 1st on the DP.

So not only does the umpire crew need a refresher, so do you!
If you're implying that NOT means NEVER, well, that's just wrong. A refresher might just be up your alley, also.
Old Thu Nov 18, 2010, 09:51am
Veteran College Umpire

The BU can make the call if the pivot man doesn't make a throw - since the BU's eyes follow the ball, if the ball is never thrown to first base he'll still be watching the play at second, and should have a better look at the slide than the PU.
Never say never...

JJ