The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 07, 2010, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Funny Conversation

We had a game with a couple of very young umpires who I felt did an overall good job. The opposing coach was pretty high strung and had a couple of arguments. I don't know if this is usual for him or he was trying to see what he could get away with.

At no time did he calmly call time and go out to discuss. He always sprinted directly toward the umpire and got right in his face. Both guys took it and kept their cool.

After a play at the plate to end an inning got him particularly riled, we had a close play with a runner stealing third. My runner slid headfirst and one hand stopped against F5's foot while the other hand was on the base. BU called him out. I called time and asked why he was out. He said, "He didn't make to the bag," as he was turning away from me. I said, "You don't have run off. I thought you missed the call, but I'm not here to yell at you and get in your face." He held back a smile and said, "I appreciate that Coach." I said, "Hang in there. You are doing fine."

As far as the fans and players were concerned, I was sticking up for my team and arguing a close call. What I was really trying to do was let a young umpire who was working hard know that it was appreicated that he was doing his best. When I got back to the dugout, one of my players asked what he said about the call. I told them that we didn't really talk about the call because he was in good position and made the call that he saw. I told them that was all we can ask of the umpires.

Last edited by harmbu; Thu Oct 07, 2010 at 01:20pm.
Old Thu Oct 07, 2010, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmbu View Post
He always sprinted directly toward the umpire and got right in his face.
Wish the UIC had trained them to eject at this point. If this guy ever runs into a real umpire, he's going to be surprised when he's tossed. Letting this go just makes life harder on someone else. This is not MLB. You run at an umpire like that, buh bye.

West Houston Mike

Last edited by MD Longhorn; Thu Oct 07, 2010 at 04:06pm.
Old Thu Oct 07, 2010, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

mbcrowder: "...This is not MLB. You run at an umpire, buh bye."

How about on the college level?

After a close play (safe), if a hothead coach comes running out toward you at 2nd from the 3rd base coach's spot yelling at you that that should have been an out, do you give an NCAA (JUCO) coach leeway? Or do you toss him then and there?
Old Thu Oct 07, 2010, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not tossing a coach just because he's running at me. I don't think that warrants an ejection.
Old Thu Oct 07, 2010, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie View Post

After a close play (safe), if a hothead coach comes running out toward you at 2nd from the 3rd base coach's spot yelling at you that that should have been an out, do you give an NCAA (JUCO) coach leeway? Or do you toss him then and there?
Probably some leeway but not a lot. Ditto varsity.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Oct 07, 2010, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Wish the UIC had trained them to eject at this point. If this guy ever runs into a real umpire, he's going to be surprised when he's tossed. Letting this go just makes life harder on someone else. This is not MLB. You run at an umpire, buh bye.
Not only bad philosophy, but wrong philosophy.

Running out to discuss a call does not, and should never warrant an ejection for that fact alone.

Around the guys I work with, real umpires know that.
Old Thu Oct 07, 2010, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpTTS43 View Post

Running out to discuss a call does not, and should never warrant an ejection for that fact alone.

Around the guys I work with, real umpires know that.
Why is it that no one can post a dissenting viewpoint to a previous post without throwing in an insinuation that the person you're disagreeing with is obviously not a "real umpire".

The OP did not just say that the coach ran out to discuss a call. He said, " sprinted directly toward the umpire and got right in his face."

You're going to let that nonsense go? Especially repeatedly as in the OP? Maybe "running at an umpire like that" was too much of a generalization. But a coach coming out to discuss a call, and a coach sprinting directly toward and umpire and getting in his face are two COMPLETELY different things.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Oct 07, 2010, 05:42pm
Stop staring at me swan.

running at = charging an umpire = stop sign from the umpire...if he runs through the stop sign...then he runs a high risk of a ticket to the parking lot for charging me.

running at me like a maniac is inappropriate baseball conduct. don't run the stop sign YMMV
Old Thu Oct 07, 2010, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Why is it that no one can post a dissenting viewpoint to a previous post without throwing in an insinuation that the person you're disagreeing with is obviously not a "real umpire".

The OP did not just say that the coach ran out to discuss a call. He said, " sprinted directly toward the umpire and got right in his face."

You're going to let that nonsense go? Especially repeatedly as in the OP? Maybe "running at an umpire like that" was too much of a generalization. But a coach coming out to discuss a call, and a coach sprinting directly toward and umpire and getting in his face are two COMPLETELY different things.

Your original quote was, "You run at an umpire, buh bye."

You have since edited to read, "You run at an umpire like that, buh bye."

I was commenting on the original quote and stand by it. No respectible umpire will run a coach for simply running/sprinting out to discuss a call. Even if he is yelling while he is headed out there, an immediate ejection will get you no where, especially college on up.

People have said to put up the stop sign. I think that is another totally bad and bogus idea. Of course he's going to run it if he is running out of the dugout and he's mad.

If this happens to me, I simply ask the coach, as he is coming out, "Are you going to talk to me or are you going to yell?" If he doesn't answer me or says he is going to yell, I tell him that this conversation is over and walk away. If he follows me, I will then tell him that if he follows me again, he will be ejected. Now it's up to him. He's had a legitamate warning with an opportunity to stay in the game. Most times, they will turn and head to the dugout.

Game management and handling situations are unfortunately on the job experience. Being a red a$$ with a quick finger is not the ideal way to handle things. Outside of the "automatics" when it comes to ejections, emphasis is on trying to keep coaches in the game. Running out yelling is not an automatic including if he gets bill to bill with you.

Last edited by UmpTTS43; Thu Oct 07, 2010 at 08:08pm.
Old Thu Oct 07, 2010, 08:23pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Very solid points.
Old Thu Oct 07, 2010, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

I give a runner about 10 seconds venting when he gets there and then I run him. Can't recall a repeat offender. I consider a red-*** to be someone looking for trouble, but if you have a runner trouble comes to you.

Last edited by DG; Thu Oct 07, 2010 at 09:11pm.
Old Fri Oct 08, 2010, 07:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpTTS43 View Post

Play: I as BU call a balk. Home coach (known as a hot head) comes sprinting out and gets right in my face.

Result: I listen. He says, "That was a great call you made at the plate yesterday." He turns around and leaves.

No -- It doesn't always work like that.

But, jumping to conclusions is not a good way to get exercise.
Old Fri Oct 08, 2010, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Play: I as BU call a balk. Home coach (known as a hot head) comes sprinting out and gets right in my face.

Result: I listen. He says, "That was a great call you made at the plate yesterday." He turns around and leaves.
Exactly why I give 10 seconds to a runner before ejecting. I already know I want to run him but I want to see what he has to say first.
Old Fri Oct 08, 2010, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie View Post

I know that this is nitpicking, but if the 3rd base coach comes running over yelling that I should have called the runner out, maybe I would just go ahead and ring up the out, and let the coach go back to his coach's box, without tossing him...He might not, however, be an NCAA (JUCO) coach long after that.
Old Fri Oct 08, 2010, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
I'd have to say it would depend greatly on the demeanor of the individual running out to discuss the call. If the manager were to sprint out in haste and get to me ready to ask what I saw, or have a legitimate discussion about his opinion of the call; he stays in the game. But if he were to sprint out ranting and raving spewing all kinds of garbage on the way; he's done without ever getting the courtesy of hearing what I had on the play.

Tim.